Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You are eating "out" once per week? We eat once per week, at home, so that we can have money to travel.
I didn't say where we eat out most weeks--Krystal. My wife worked at the Krystal long before we met, and it's still her favorite place to eat. Times were tough for a young, single mother of 3 young babies. She still loves the little burgers.

Sometimes we'll get the $4.99 senior special at Captain D's on Wednesdays or Sundays--a best buy in restaurants.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has a wage inflation calculator that says wages are up over 400% since 1976, 613% since my date of 1970. Minimum wage was $1.60 in 1970 so $9.80. Against that yard stick we are still pretty far behind. In 1970, $10K was a good starting wage (equivalent to ~$60K today).

As a sub teacher in Chicago in 1973 (536%) I made $40/day which would be $10K ($53K today) on a full time, full year basis. About $8K based on a teacher's schedule or $42.4K today.

It definitely boils down to where you live. A neighboring school district currently pays $70 a day. I would have never guessed sub pay to have been that high anywhere in 1973.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If, like most people on this site, you worked in a cushy office job for most of your career, I think you would very much dislike working in a fast food restaurant. Working in fast food would require you to do actual work. You would be tired and sore all the time, not to mention you would smell(sweat and grease). My body hurts just watching the 20 year olds running around in back. I couldn't imagine a retiree trying to do that job.
I worked at Arby's for a term between freshman and sophomore years at college. By the time that was over, I knew why it was important that I stay in college. Worst job of my life.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Recently family went out for burgers and fries total cost $50. I need to either get a handle on inflation or stay at home for the rest of my life.
Took the wife and 3 kids out to a local eatery last Saturday. For 2 beers, 2 Ruebens, 1 burger, 1 fish & chips, and a pulled pork sandwich the bill was $79.83 with tax. Throw in the tip and we were $95 poorer for the experience. I was sick to my stomach and I don't think it was the food.

Needless to say, there won't be many of those experiences.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #65

The closest I came to fast food work was working in the cafeteria of the local community college when I first graduated HS. Minimum wage was 2.90. My wage was 2.88. When minumum wage went up to $3.10, my wage went up to 3.08.

Apparently minimum wage didn't apply to government employees. I quit and went to work for an insurance company and got an instant 50cent/hour bump. I could actually support myself on the $3.60/hour job... I know because I did. Granted my diet had a LOT of ramen in it. But my divey apartment had a view of Mission Bay.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

In high school in 1964/66 I worked behind the counter and running deliveries at a nearby drugstore for $.80/hour. That was an awful wage but everybody liked working there.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #67

Quote:
I recall that as I was about to start work, I thought that I would reward myself with a BMW 730. Of course no way I could have afforded it with what I first made.

Then, came the cost of a home (14% mortgage rate) and raising a family, and to this point I never own a luxury car. Now, I look at fancy cars with indifferent eyes.
Sounds familiar. Couldn't really afford a nice car until I was about 50. Drive used beaters until then. After that I found myself able to afford nice cars and went a little overboard.

I would say given the quality of cars today there has been disinflation in car prices, ie you get a better car today for the same inflation adjusted dollar.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Took the wife and 3 kids out to a local eatery last Saturday. For 2 beers, 2 Ruebens, 1 burger, 1 fish & chips, and a pulled pork sandwich the bill was $79.83 with tax. Throw in the tip and we were $95 poorer for the experience. I was sick to my stomach and I don't think it was the food.

Needless to say, there won't be many of those experiences.

Just got done ordering room service last night. Chips n Salsa, 2 California burgers and 1 diet coke cost me $55. I went to the local target, bought a loaf of bread, 2 kinds of lunch meat, a cheese platter, mayo and strawberries for $25. We pay for conveniences. I always remind myself that. We go out to dinner maybe 40-50x a year, $50 * 50 = $2500. My grocery bill is $300/month * 12 = 3600. 365days/year - 50 dinner outs = 315 dinners in.

Price Per Meal Eating out = $50
Price Per Meal Eating IN = $.0875

Ahh the price we pay to not cook our own food.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
We go out to dinner maybe 40-50x a year, $50 * 50 = $2500. My grocery bill is $300/month * 12 = 3600. 365days/year - 50 dinner outs = 315 dinners in.

Price Per Meal Eating out = $50
Price Per Meal Eating IN = $.0875
I think you flip-flopped numerator and denominator in the cost of eating in. Instead of 315/$3600, which is 0.0875, this should be $3600/315 = $11.42. But that's the total budget per day, not just the dinner budget. And it presumably includes other meals (breakfasts and lunches) as well as those other meals on the other 50 days. So in reality, the cost of eating in is much less than $50, and considerably less than $11.42, but a LOT more than 8.75 cents, and still several dollars per dinner.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

After their wedding, my daughter and son-in-law checked into a honeymoon suite at the Phoenician, a 5-star resort in town. The next day, they invited us to have dinner with them there. We have eaten there once many years ago but at another restaurant in the resort, and have not been back since.

They paid for the meal as a thank-you to us, so I did not know the total. But I remember appetizers ran $15-30, entrees ran $25-60. A single side dish of potatoes or steamed broccoli cost $10. And the meal was good but not impressive. The decor was certainly very nice though, and that's what people pay for.

We both enjoy cooking, and we cook dishes that are not usually served in restaurants.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The closest I came to fast food work was working in the cafeteria of the local community college when I first graduated HS. Minimum wage was 2.90. My wage was 2.88. When minumum wage went up to $3.10, my wage went up to 3.08.

Apparently minimum wage didn't apply to government employees.

It could also be said that your employer didn't give two cents...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sounds familiar. Couldn't really afford a nice car until I was about 50. Drive used beaters until then. After that I found myself able to afford nice cars and went a little overboard.

I would say given the quality of cars today there has been disinflation in car prices, ie you get a better car today for the same inflation adjusted dollar.
I have purchased 2 new cars: a Volvo when I graduated with my Masters, and a Pontiac Bonneville SSE when GE Capital made me an offer I could not refuse. All others have been 1 to 3 year olds.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #73

Quote:
We both enjoy cooking, and we can cook dishes that are not usually served in restaurants.
I enjoy cooking, too. I don't enjoy the prep work or the cleanup, though. If someone came over and did the prep work and the dishes afterward, I'd be happy to cook pretty much every day.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

We do not mind any of the work. I often tell my wife that it was a big deal in the old days when people had to go out to chase down a chicken, kill, and clean it. Then, to clean dishes, they had to use cold water drawn up by themselves from a well.

Nowadays, meat comes ready to cook, vegetable already trimmed, cooktop turned on with a turn of a knob, water on the tap nicely warmed. What's the problem?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I enjoy cooking, too. I don't enjoy the prep work or the cleanup, though. If someone came over and did the prep work and the dishes afterward, I'd be happy to cook pretty much every day.

I would do the dishes every day if someone would cook for me. Do you live close to me?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
This is almost the deal the young wife and I have. She cooks everyday and I cleanup everyday.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We both enjoy cooking, and we cook dishes that are not usually served in restaurants.
I am a good cook, DW not so much (but she does not mind cleaning after me, so it works out). We rarely eat dinner out - only on special occasions, really. But we still spend a lot on food, and we are not big eaters.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am a good cook, DW not so much (but she does not mind cleaning after me, so it works out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I would do the dishes every day if someone would cook for me. Do you live close to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is almost the deal the young wife and I have. She cooks everyday and I cleanup everyday.

When the kids were still at home, we had a household rule. "Whomever cooks does not have to clean up or do dishes." You'd think that would result in no shortage of cooks in the family but you'd be wrong. I suspect, however, that had we not had an automatic dishwasher and all dishwashing would have involved manual labor, the results might have been quite different.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #79

How do people remember, to the penny, what they got paid in their first job? I was a bag-boy in high school and I don't have a clue what I got paid, not a clue. But I'm not making it up because it's on my SS statement
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you flip-flopped numerator and denominator in the cost of eating in. Instead of 315/$3600, which is 0.0875, this should be $3600/315 = $11.42. But that's the total budget per day, not just the dinner budget. And it presumably includes other meals (breakfasts and lunches) as well as those other meals on the other 50 days. So in reality, the cost of eating in is much less than $50, and considerably less than $11.42, but a LOT more than 8.75 cents, and still several dollars per dinner.

I thought something was wrong there, but too lazy to figure it out. I admit we go out twice a week and blow quite a bit of money doing it. However there is always a warped way for me to justify it. Over the past several years, my desire to fight crowds and go to concerts and professional sports has waned considerably. This has left a bigger pile of money leftover in the ol entertainment budget. Sad but true, my eating out is not part of food spending, but is now in the "entertainment" category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk