Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

I live in the past about the value of a dollar
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
gone traveling

I live in the past about the value of a dollar

I go to mcdonalds yesterday, I had coupons, I like Big Macs, I like them when I have a coupon for buy one get 1 free. I had to drag my bride there because you can only use 1 coupon per visit. But that isn't the just of the post, I ask the manager if the minimum wage goes to 15 an hour as is the current law proposed can I fill out an application. He goes to the corner, pulls out a stack a inch or so high and said he has about 100 applications from retirees (the bride says he said old people) that will work if the minimum wage goes up. I guess we would be displacing career fast food workers. The bride scolded me the whole walk home that I wouldn't really take a job for 15 bucks . I told her my first job was for 2.10 an hour that they had a youth minimum wage in my state 39 years ago. She didn't care about the history lesson and that 15 bucks is not what I think it is. I'm sure she is right she always is just ask her, but when I hear prices I'm locked in the 70's. For example , You make 50,000 a year wow that's a great job, rib eye steaks are 17 dollars a pound? Are they nuts!, a Hyundai is not still 5999! College is 40,000 a year what are they smoking .I paid 35 a credit at a top private school(NYU) and I thought that was insane. I don't do the active food shopping, I tag along to carry the bundles, I can't look at the price of anything without thinking its a complete rip off. Houses! A doctor bought the one my neighbor had, a working stiff like me with one income like we did cant buy these things. So am I a relic about money, when I ran my numbers I factored in 60,000 after tax a year, thinking I'm a big spender but 60,000 is chump change it seems.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
... The bride scolded me the whole walk home that I wouldn't really take a job for 15 bucks . I told her my first job was for 2.10 an hour that they had a youth minimum wage in my state 39 years ago. She didn't care about the history lesson and that 15 bucks is not what I think it is...
The official cumulative inflation from 1976 till now, a period of 39 years, is 320%. This means $1 back then is worth $4.2 now. So, the $15/hr job now is equivalent to $3.57/hr back then.

Does that seem about right? I cannot remember what minimum wage was back then, but it must be lower than $3.57.

PS. I do remember an engineering graduate making $17-19K for the first job out of school. That is equivalent to $71-80K now. That seems roughly right.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unfortunately I am too aware of the value of a dollar these days. You're right about some things a working stiff used to be able to buy are only for the truly well-off today.

Quote:
told her my first job was for 2.10 an hour
Were you hired by your father's law firm? (joking) My first (real) job was for a min wage of $1.60.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, you're a relic. I remember when $10K was 'executive pay'!

Reminds me of a neighbor who only had his house insured for $12,000 because "that's what I paid for it in 1938".

It's now worth maybe $2-3M and his heirs had a rough time explaining to the insurance company why they wanted to up the insurance by $2 million!.

But remember this: 50 years ago, a decent TV cost about $400 (still does); most appliances are now more affordable, you can phone anywhere in the world for pennies; some things have gone up, others down.
Wow thank you
Old 11-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
gone traveling

Wow thank you

It was 1976 when I was getting 2.10. Like I said it was the youth minimum wage I think the regular minimum wage was 2.40, but I'm not positive
Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
gone traveling

I'm glad I'm not alone. I feel better, I'm not telling stories about the depression like my parents told me , these things are in my recent past, but now that I think about it , their depression stories told to me in the late 60's and early 70's are the same timeframe. Omg I'm getting old. My dad used to say he saved it a penny or a nickel at a time now he spends it by the dollar.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Unfortunately I am too aware of the value of a dollar these days. You're right about some things a working stiff used to be able to buy are only for the truly well-off today.

Were you hired by your father's law firm? (joking) My first (real) job was for a min wage of $1.60.
It was a corner fruit and vegetable store, I got the job off of the bulletin board at my schools employment office, where I got my working papers, and where I applied for a soc sec card. Could not work more than 20 hours a week and and not after 8 pm, except on Saturday then it was 10 pm. Those were the youth 14-16 rules
Old 11-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
gone traveling

I know it's not a lot of money , but the number just sounds high to me. I then proceeded to fantasize-about the job to her, she entertains my dreams. I told her I would do breakfast at Mickey d,s. Get up early be home maybe by 2 pm just maybe 2 days a week, Sort of pocket, walking around money. She said if It would get me out of her hair I should worked 3 days , HAHA.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

1969, Austin, Moreburger, $1.15/hr and the first paycheck bounced! When I, very irate, complained to the manager he laughed and said "you did what? you dumb a.. just put it in the till and take the money out..."
Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
1969, Austin, Moreburger, $1.15/hr and the first paycheck bounced! When I, very irate, complained to the manager he laughed and said "you did what? you dumb a.. just put it in the till and take the money out..."
sure, I got a pay envelope with some numbers written in pencil on it
Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I earned it View Post
I know it's not a lot of money , but the number just sounds high to me. I then proceeded to fantasize-about the job to her, she entertains my dreams. I told her I would do breakfast at Mickey d,s. Get up early be home maybe by 2 pm just maybe 2 days a week, Sort of pocket, walking around money. She said if It would get me out of her hair I should worked 3 days , HAHA.
If, like most people on this site, you worked in a cushy office job for most of your career, I think you would very much dislike working in a fast food restaurant. Working in fast food would require you to do actual work. You would be tired and sore all the time, not to mention you would smell(sweat and grease). My body hurts just watching the 20 year olds running around in back. I couldn't imagine a retiree trying to do that job.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #12

I just think that if you don't pay attention it can be shocking how much some things go up, but I was likewise shocked when I bought a blueray player for $50 last year with Netflix and amazon preloaded. I do know that now that I'm not getting a regular paycheck I'm certainly paying more attention.

btw, I with you on the mcdonalds thing. Not that $15 is a lot of money, its that if people are all making at least $15/hr I may have to work to keep up with the inflation that ensues. I'm been delaying buying a house but have to believe that would also impact lower cost housing since if a couple working at mcdonalds can make $60k per year, a $200k house is not out of the question.. If nothing else if it just provides social time and you don't mind it, why not. I loved my taco bell days...and I know lots of people dreaming of retiring to be a starbucks barista.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If, like most people on this site, you worked in a cushy office job for most of your career, I think you would very much dislike working in a fast food restaurant. Working in fast food would require you to do actual work. You would be tired and sore all the time, not to mention you would smell(sweat and grease). My body hurts just watching the 20 year olds running around in back. I couldn't imagine a retiree trying to do that job.
I never did fast food, but I did work for Denny's in 1988-90 (dishwasher, host, waiter) and then as a delivery driver for Little Caesar's and Papa John's from 1996-2001. I used to think I could go back to one of those types of jobs, if I really had to...either as a second job, or even a full time.

But, too much water has passed under the bridge. I was in college when I waited tables. And when I started delivering pizzas, my main job was logistics, so I was in better shape. I did move to a cushier office position in 1997, but I was only 27 at the time, and the pizza job kept me moving.

Now that I'm 45, I'd hate the idea of going back to one of those types of jobs. And I'm sure that at 55 or 65, I'd hate it even more. I'd do it if I had to, though.
I was a cop
Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
gone traveling

I was a cop

Quote:
My day was not cushy, I pounded the pavement to the last day, my body was sore more often at the end as the youth of today punch harder especially when your in your 50,s. I smelled awful after body fluids were flung on me during protests. I think a position at the French fry machine is something I could handle. With the added bonus to the boss, if the place decides to get robbed and they start killing patrons I'll be the first to try to stop the carnage.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

My first job paid minimum wage, $1.40/hour. IIRC you could get a fast food burger for $0.25 at the time, but I couldn't afford one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #17

I agree a dollar just ain't what it use to be. BTW, first real job was .85 an hour bussing tables and washing dishes. I think today's prices for most goods are not decent values either. One of the reason I almost always ask is, can you do better or cut me a deal. Recently got $65 off an annual membership at a shooting range and about $200 off a gym membership. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I am not that old, but I still convert prices in the currencies that I grew up with -the Swiss and French Francs (and I have not lived in Europe for nearly 20 years!). When I was in college in the early 1990s in France, my monthly budget after paying for my rent was 900FF. That's roughly $150.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #19

1973 we worked 22 hours a day and all we got for that was a beating before bed.... And we were darned glad too get it!
( queue up the Four Yorkshire Men )

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #20
gone traveling

Blue collar guy here

Quote:
You must really feel bad for the elderly waitresses we see at the diners running around like mad , serving unruly people . Not everyone in here that retired early pushed pencils. Retirees are working in these industries an d for less that the 15 dollars I mentioned
Closed Thread