Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have long been convinced this is a troll, and I'm a little surprised at how much feeding it's getting.
I don't know if it is. I am sure my relatives think like this.

Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
My uncle was like a rolling stone. Where ever he left his hat was his home.

When he died, all he left us was alone.
I've always wondered if that line was:

When he died, all he left us was a loan.

Works either way. It is repeated in the chorus, it could be done both ways. Lyrics say "alone", but who knows?

-ERD50

Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, 12 threads, mixed up personal statistics, no verification, story changes, immediate life changing events, etc. Do you really believe everything you read on the internet?
We could put links in the "what have you read lately" thread . Fiction or nonfiction? Discuss.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP - this is wonderful news, now as long as you don't blow the money or stay in your expensive COL , and continue your plan to move, you will be fine.

As for the investment, just dump the 1MM into the same type of funds you currently have 60/40 mix like VTI and BND and live off the dividends of your entire stash.

I was going to say something mean, but then I'd be criticized again for picking on OP.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #45

Quote:
Yes, 12 threads, mixed up personal statistics, no verification, story changes, immediate life changing events, etc. Do you really believe everything you read on the internet?
You are correct on the multiple threads.
Initially I take discussions here at face value. I do grow more cautious and skeptical as threads progress.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
All the childless aunts and uncles on the forum just had visions of their nephews and nieces rubbing their hands at the thought of their death. Did you care for your aunt at all?
Ha, I thought the same. That's me.....no kids or spouse to leave my assets to. Two nephews and one niece. But we all get along fine so I do have everything set up to go to them. I do want to give some to various charities, but plan to do more of that as I age. BTW, I did have one aunt who left me everything. Nothing close to what the OP claims, but much appreciated never the less. We were very close and she was like a 2nd mother to me. She was 97 when she passed.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Troll or not, I've been sufficiently motivated to initiate my first "ignore" designation.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
Troll or not, I've been sufficiently motivated to initiate my first "ignore" designation.
You obviously have not read any of my postings.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You obviously have not read any of my postings.
On the contrary, I became a fan with the description of how to create a "pole".
Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #50

I inherited $600 when my Grandmother died. Used it to pay Community College tuition. Great investment.
I suggest OP buy a boat big enough to live on, a real impressive sized boat... Great marinas in Alexandria.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
My fathers sister has died and she was rich. She had no children and her husband died years ago. Her only relatives were my brother and I. We talked often about her money and will and always wondered how much money she had. Both my brother and myself are in the will and will be getting about a million dollars after her assets are distributed. Much of her assets are in farm land, which will take a while to sell........

There is a spring in my step, I have been smiling a lot and have lots of ideas how what I can do with the rest of my life, now that I am going to be set financially........
Keeping it classy as always.

I just hope the aunt in question died without knowing that relatives were/are rubbing their hands in glee. May she rest in peace.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't you post this on city-data a while back? Maybe it was your cousin.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

It could be that the op is feeling more free to be honest with their feelings then a lot of people are as we are in an anonymous place on the web. The sad reality is a lot of people, and I stress A LOT, care more about the money than the person who just died. Or at least care more about the money than they publicly admit. However, among friends and relatives they act like a grieving relative. I have seen many sad sad situations at work so I speak with a fair amount of authority on the subject.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Didn't you post this on city-data a while back? Maybe it was your cousin.
He appears to be posting there in 2012 with a similar story and about the same age as he is now. Maybe it's his cousin? Twin?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #55

Quote:
He appears to be posting there in 2012 with a similar story and about the same age as he is now. Maybe it's his cousin? Twin?
Link to that?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #56

Quote:
I just had to check on the OP to make sure she was not the disturbed lady on a couple of other forums who made outrageous claims and created a family of sock puppets.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

For those intrigued by the city-data idea - not hard to find considering uses the same OP name, pretty much identical stories from there about being forced out at 60, now 61, etc... all 4 years ago.

Yes, we've been had.

OP...for shame. Your original thread had a lot of people truly concerned for you, and spending their time going out of their way to point out ways you could help yourself. Some folks invested real time and thought, and actually worried about you. I hope they are generous with the next person in dire straits who seeks genuine help here.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post

The more I read his posts the more I think troll.
Beyond a doubt........
Old 09-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
It could be that the op is feeling more free to be honest with their feelings then a lot of people are as we are in an anonymous place on the web. The sad reality is a lot of people, and I stress A LOT, care more about the money than the person who just died. Or at least care more about the money than they publicly admit. However, among friends and relatives they act like a grieving relative. I have seen many sad sad situations at work so I speak with a fair amount of authority on the subject.
Well, it's a bittersweet situation. I would gladly give my inheritance back to have my parents again (if they were healthy.) I loved them very much. The inheritance did change my life and I feel very grateful to have received it. I did feel a bit of (survivor?) guilt in taking the money.

I plan on paying for my great nieces college and hopefully will leave more than what I inherited to my niece and nephew. I see my niece and nephew every few years, they live about two thousand miles away. They probably won't grieve too much at my passing, but I'm sure the money will help them out.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
For those intrigued by the city-data idea - not hard to find considering uses the same OP name, pretty much identical stories from there about being forced out at 60, now 61, etc... all 4 years ago.

Yes, we've been had.

OP...for shame. Your original thread had a lot of people truly concerned for you, and spending their time going out of their way to point out ways you could help yourself. Some folks invested real time and thought, and actually worried about you. I hope they are generous with the next person in dire straits who seeks genuine help here.
Here: Retired Early? Are you ibitter about being pushed out of the labor market? (pension, supplement) - Retirement -Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum

In that iteration he had already moved and received his inheritance:

"Now I am 62, have moved to a very inexpensive town and have a financial plan and money from a recent inheritance to survive until the lord takes me home. I am officially retired from the world of paid work!"

Someone needs to be forced to go traveling, perhaps.

And yes and thank you to all the people who are caring enough to offer carefully considered advice to him--the fact that this is most likely a sad individual in many ways doesn't make your efforts wasted or make us suckers. The troll mirror reflects stupidity in only one direction, back on the troll.