Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least the posts we made will likely be read by others truly in the same spot and needing financial advice. It is not an uncommon situation for older workers nearing retirement age to have trouble finding employment (except for the large inheritance part).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #62

I claim first troll call, 12 days ago:

Quote:
I admit it has been quite some time since I was in Alexandria, but I don't remember that many bridges there.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here: Retired Early? Are you ibitter about being pushed out of the labor market? (pension, supplement) - Retirement -Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum

In that iteration he had already moved and received his inheritance:

"Now I am 62, have moved to a very inexpensive town and have a financial plan and money from a recent inheritance to survive until the lord takes me home. I am officially retired from the world of paid work!"

Someone needs to be forced to go traveling, perhaps.

And yes and thank you to all the people who are caring enough to offer carefully considered advice to him--the fact that this is most likely a sad individual in many ways doesn't make your efforts wasted or make us suckers. The troll mirror reflects stupidity in only one direction, back on the troll.
According to the O.P., he also received an inheritance from at least one parent so that could be the earlier reference. The O.P. may or may not be a troll but so far I'm not convinced there's conclusive proof one way or another.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
According to the O.P., he also received an inheritance from at least one parent so that could be the earlier reference. The O.P. may or may not be a troll but so far I'm not convinced there's conclusive proof one way or another.
I read his first post on city-data a couple of times to see if it was a similar enough writing style or not to claim foul. I couldn't make a decision one way or another until I got to his second post on page 3 and conclude that we have ringer!

Quote:
I can't say that. I left the world of work in a whimper with my head between my knees crying.

Very unique type of reveal that was also on display here after one of the conversations with the property management company.

-gauss
Old 09-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Really? Same story from 5 years ago, clinched by using the same handle? You're not convinced?

The shame is that when someone comes here with a legit hard luck story, some will be reluctant to believe them because of a pathetic person like this who trolls the board.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post

The more I read his posts the more I think troll.
+1 Odd how last week he was desperate, now suddenly up $1M.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Forced,
Have you actually seen or posses a copy of the written will? Is there an assigned Personal Representative/Executor identified in the will?

You should be able to monitor the Probate court located in the county of your late Aunt's residence to see when a Probate case is opened for her by the PR.

In my state once the Probate has been opened, the Personal Representative is duty bound to notify all the devises/beneficiaries & heirs with a copy of the will. The next major event will be that the PR will need to share with the court a list of assets and valuations so that the appropriate probate fee may be calculated.

-gauss
I'm now expecting an OP reply with a series of reasons as to why many of the above won't work or are 'complicated'.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Thanks for the kick in my butt - I needed that. Time to re-visit my Will. Some charities will be pleased !

Rich
+1 and then some. On rare occasions even trolls post something useful.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post
Seriously... A spring in his step after his aunt died? She should have left the money to her favorite charity.

The more I read his posts the more I think troll arse.
Here, I fixed that for ya !
Old 09-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I think we encountered a wormhole, and ran into 2012 version of OP.
All posts perfectly understandable now.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I inherited $600 when my Grandmother died. Used it to pay Community College tuition. Great investment.
I suggest OP buy a boat big enough to live on, a real impressive sized boat... Great marinas in Alexandria.
Despite the fact that this whole thread is a joke, I wonder if you can really save any significant money by living in a marina in Alexandria? Everything there is so expensive I suspect (with no real proof) that it would still be significantly cheaper to live in an apartment in Richmond than on a boat in the DC area. Just curious.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1
Agree TROLL!!! I feel bad I actually tried to get him to make health changes. Perhaps mental health
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #73

Harley,

My interpretation of Gravity's comment to buy a big boat in a nice marina to save money was that it was a sarcastic comment to Forced based on the history of this whole thing.

-gauss
Old 09-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I'm in your exact position after Aunt Virginia died @ 99 years and 9 months on earth. She never went anywhere or took any pleasures in life--and she took $125K in 1965 and turned it into $3 million after living expenses.

Such an inheritance allowed me to buyout my sister's half of our lake house, payoff a car and small mortgage. But I no longer have to draw on my 401K until minimum distributions are required at age 70 1/2--in 4 years. I also bought my daughter an inexpensive, but nice house and purchased a 5200 square foot foreclosed house for 25% under market value.

We are enjoying ourselves greatly, however we're really not doing anything we couldn't have afforded to do with our own financial resources.
I may inherit lots of money
Old 09-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I may inherit lots of money

OK, I'm thinking I got fooled. There's a banned-for-life troll on another board I'm on, who posted similar stuff on citydata, who lived in the DC area. Well, my intentions were good.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Harley,

My interpretation of Gravity's comment to buy a big boat in a nice marina to save money was that it was a sarcastic comment to Forced based on the history of this whole thing.

-gauss

+1
Though DD lived in that city for a couple years. It is nice and there are good looking marinas, bike trails, etc. wish I could afford to live there. (Not really, I find that weather oppressive.)
Old 09-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Oh well... I have never used the ignore button before. First time for everything I guess. Arsehole.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Oh well... I have never used the ignore button before. First time for everything I guess. Arsehole.
No need. He won't be posting again.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful. Thank you!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

The joke is on anyone who tries to get some anonymous person or fictional creation to do anything other than just go away. Maybe give benefit of the doubt first time, then if strangeness continues, punt.

Of it waddles and quacks, what more does one need to perceive that it is a duck?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum