Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

I may inherit lots of money
Old 09-18-2016, 04:05 AM   #1
gone traveling

My fathers sister has died and she was rich. She had no children and her husband died years ago. Her only relatives were my brother and I. We talked often about her money and will and always wondered how much money she had. Both my brother and myself are in the will and will be getting about a million dollars after her assets are distributed. Much of her assets are in farm land, which will take a while to sell.

My head is spinning. If you followed my earlier posts I was a nervous wreak about breaking my lease and making my $400K in savings last. (I was planning on going on Social Security next year.)

While the money won't come in for a while, it has completely changed my attitude towards life. There is a spring in my step, I have been smiling a lot and have lots of ideas how what I can do with the rest of my life, now that I am going to be set financially.

Anyone else get a large inheritance in or close to retirement that turned their life upside down? What did you do, and how did you invest it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All the childless aunts and uncles on the forum just had visions of their nephews and nieces rubbing their hands at the thought of their death. Did you care for your aunt at all?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
All the childless aunts and uncles on the forum just had visions of their nephews and nieces rubbing their hands at the thought of their death. Did you care for your aunt at all?
Seriously... A spring in his step after his aunt died? She should have left the money to her favorite charity.

The more I read his posts the more I think troll.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
All the childless aunts and uncles on the forum just had visions of their nephews and nieces rubbing their hands at the thought of their death.

Luckily for me my nephew is currently only 3, and his sister is still in production with an ETA of Nov. The only thing I have yet seen him rubbing his lil' hands at so far is Thomas the Tank Engine and Ice Cream....but to be fair....ice cream also makes me rub my hands together with glee too!
Old 09-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post
.....The more I read his posts the more I think troll.
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well I am not sure about the troll thing but I would actually hope so.....the alternative is worse isn't it?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
My fathers sister has died and she was rich. She had no children and her husband died years ago. Her only relatives were my brother and I. We talked often about her money and will and always wondered how much money she had. Both my brother and myself are in the will and will be getting about a million dollars after her assets are distributed. Much of her assets are in farm land, which will take a while to sell.

My head is spinning. If you followed my earlier posts I was a nervous wreak about breaking my lease and making my $400K in savings last. (I was planning on going on Social Security next year.)

While the money won't come in for a while, it has completely changed my attitude towards life. There is a spring in my step, I have been smiling a lot and have lots of ideas how what I can do with the rest of my life, now that I am going to be set financially.

Anyone else get a large inheritance in or close to retirement that turned their life upside down? What did you do, and how did you invest it?

The best thing you can do is think how this can improve your lifestyle and how you can turn this into a positive difference.

I had a large inheritance when my father died. He suffered a great deal for many years before he died. I and my husband took care of him and his affairs for years. Then I was Executrix. Arranging his funeral in California while in PA. Dealing with difficult relatives.

It was a relief when he passed and so was there. Knowing how I went to working hard for FI to actual FI possible in such a brief period of time was a bit giddying.

7 years later, the investments increased by 50%. Lifestyle change: not much at all. I retired in full 7 weeks ago. We have the same cars, the same house, the same furniture. We paid off our mortgage in 2014 and paid for DS's college education without worry.

Invest into index funds. At your age, a 60/40 to 40/60 portfolio of index funds makes sense.

My guess is your aunt was older and it was her time. There is nothing wrong with feeling the way you feel right now, but be careful who you share it with. It sounds like you can share these feelings with your brother at least.

What are your plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2016, 04:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DW and I would rather have her parents alive than the inheritance
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Seriously... A spring in his step after his aunt died? She should have left the money to her favorite charity.

Death is not always tragic when someone is in their 90s and their mind and body was pretty much gone for years. She longed for death and everyone who was close to her while celebrating her life, were happy that she finally could leave her earthly body and join God in heaven.

Her assets will also go to some relatives of her deceased husband. They are struggling and it will change their life and allow for the kids to go to college and trade school. My brother and I will get 50% of her assets.

People live and die, no one lives forever. It was her time and her assets will go to good people.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Not everyone is fortunate to have a loving family. I do not miss my parents. They became pretty horrible when I was eleven, started heavy drinking, heavy smoking, and arguing all the time. Trying to take care of them when they became old and I'll was a nightmare. I loved them, but I did not like them. I only have one aunt and one uncle left. I last saw my aunt at my dad's funeral in 2009. She was frail then, now living on borrowed time. She is only in contact with the one son who manages her affairs. I haven't even spoken to my uncle in 14 years. He rejected all of his family except his kids, who never maintained any contact with us cousins since they went off to college.

Aunts and uncles are not the same as parents, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm
Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:

No doubt about it He is having fun with you guys.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I dunno... he makes a good point that sometimes the passing of an elderly relative whose quality of life is very poor is a blessing in disguise... I can see that for a couple great aunts who died over the last few years... they were in a nursing home and had no idea where they were or even who the people visiting them were (including their children, which is harder on their children than on them).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-18-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
There is a spring in my step, I have been smiling a lot and have lots of ideas how what I can do with the rest of my life, now that I am going to be set financially.
Thanks for the kick in my butt - I needed that. Time to re-visit my Will. Some charities will be pleased !

Rich
So entertaining!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

So entertaining!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #15
gone traveling

No troll here.

I suspect many people who are retired comfortably were helped significantly by inheritance. When the last of my parents died, I also got some money. The last few years of my parents lives were cruel years with lots of pain. The lord calling them home was a blessing just like my Aunt.

I am glad she gave the money to relatives who loved her and not some charity that will blow the money in administrative overhead.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #16

Your situation has turned 100% in no time?
Can you be sure that there is no update of the will, donating it all to charity?
I hope you have visited and helped that old aunt frequently....
So you can continue with your attitude and pride about being difficult. Maybe even stay in that expensive appartment, have lunch with former coworkers and tell them how sorry you are that they still have to work.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #17

I have long been convinced this is a troll, and I'm a little surprised at how much feeding it's getting.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #18
gone traveling

Maybe he is writing some research paper and found good source of informations.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its nice being rewarded after an entire life of making bad decisions huh? lulz

This will be my last response to the OP. If you stop feeding it maybe they will go away.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No troll here.

I suspect many people who are retired comfortably were helped significantly by inheritance. When the last of my parents died, I also got some money. The last few years of my parents lives were cruel years with lots of pain. The lord calling them home was a blessing just like my Aunt.

I am glad she gave the money to relatives who loved her and not some charity that will blow the money in administrative overhead.
Troll is not a self defined roll. Some of your writing may be trollish, and the community will let you know.
Closed Thread