Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I officially set my retirement date!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
I officially set my retirement date!

After dithering for several years, I officially set my retirement date to be January 1, 2014. A long ways away, but it still feels good to make it official.
__________________

__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Good for you! The official countdown begins.....

...now about this 'dithering' thing you speak of...
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
What does "officially" mean? Have you sent in a letter of resignation giving your employer 4 years' notice? Or is it "official" in the sense that you have pencilled it in on the calendar? How committed are you?
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21
I gave up setting my retirement date, official or otherwise. Seems like every time I think I have it set a bubble bursts (tech, housing, etc.) and I get to adjust accordingly. A frustrating process to say the least. My new tactic is to not set it and just kind of sneak up on it and then before karma is any wiser, just do it! Who knows I may just wake up tomorrow and decide its time...
__________________
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 67
Congratulations on setting a date. For me, just experimenting with a date (full of dither and lack of conviction here) caused me to really think about what it meant.

It led me to set a specific date for getting my home mortgage paid off, and I have taken action on that. I've started using that date in withdrawal rate simulations, and now I'm looking into how to build a health-care 'bridge' between that date and Medicare. I've evaluated my (small) defined benefit vs. (smaller) lump sum options.

And, I've started a list of the many other things to start working on. Lots of good stuff. This forum has been a huge help with the intangibles.

I don't know if my current plan will hold up. But I am acting as if it will, and that has changed things.

Steve
__________________
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,826
Congratulations!! It's great to have set a date.

I have the same question as Meadbh, though - - did you officially give notice? I am confused.

My retirement date was a tentative goal date for many years, and that helped me to push myself and take the needed steps to be able to retire on that date. I didn't turn in my application to retire until six months beforehand, though. I am glad I didn't do that four years in advance, because I had enough worries associated with Hurricane Katrina without worrying about not having the option to delay retirement if necessary.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What does "officially" mean? Have you sent in a letter of resignation giving your employer 4 years' notice? Or is it "official" in the sense that you have pencilled it in on the calendar? How committed are you?
Well, it is a little bit of a weird situation. I am self employed, and I set up a defined benefit pension plan for myself and my wife. In order to set it up, we had to decide when we wanted to retire. Because the way pension law is set up, we get the largest tax savings by defining an earlier retirement date. However, if we do not actually retire at this date, out pension adviser tells us that three things will probably happen:

1) The IRS will determine that the plan is an illegal tax shelter, resulting in large fines.
2) The plan will become overfunded, resulting in large fines.
3) We will have to pay him a lot of money to straighten things out, apart and above any IRS fines.

So, by signing on the dotted line , we have pretty much irrevocably set our retirement date, sans a willingness to spend a lot of money to avoid retirement. I will mention that this is a year later than we already planned on retiring. We felt more comfortable with a little buffer.
__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
Congratulations , I never really set a date . I just knew I wanted to retire in my 50's so as my 50's drew to a close I retired .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenst View Post
It led me to set a specific date for getting my home mortgage paid off, and I have taken action on that. I've started using that date in withdrawal rate simulations, and now I'm looking into how to build a health-care 'bridge' between that date and Medicare. I've evaluated my (small) defined benefit vs. (smaller) lump sum options.
Two of the things that have made use feel better about setting a date are paying off the mortgage, and having spent the past two years paying for our own health insurance.
__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Two of the things that have made use feel better about setting a date are paying off the mortgage, and having spent the past two years paying for our own health insurance.
Congratulations, Culture!

I found that actually paying my health insurance premiums is less awful than it was to think about it in advance.

Does running your business require more than full time or can you wind it down gradually?
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Well, it is a little bit of a weird situation. I am self employed, and I set up a defined benefit pension plan for myself and my wife. In order to set it up, we had to decide when we wanted to retire. Because the way pension law is set up, we get the largest tax savings by defining an earlier retirement date. However, if we do not actually retire at this date, out pension adviser tells us that three things will probably happen:

1) The IRS will determine that the plan is an illegal tax shelter, resulting in large fines.
2) The plan will become overfunded, resulting in large fines.
3) We will have to pay him a lot of money to straighten things out, apart and above any IRS fines.

So, by signing on the dotted line , we have pretty much irrevocably set our retirement date, sans a willingness to spend a lot of money to avoid retirement. I will mention that this is a year later than we already planned on retiring. We felt more comfortable with a little buffer.

OK, you're committed!



Bacon & Eggs: the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
Culture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Congratulations, Culture!

I found that actually paying my health insurance premiums is less awful than it was to think about it in advance.

Does running your business require more than full time or can you wind it down gradually?
1) Paying the health insurance premium is not that bad while I am still getting income. The problem is that it will keep going up, but my income is going to go down. I think it will look a lot worse in 5 years :-).

2) I plan on winding down my business for the last 1 to 1.5 years, slowing going from 100% to 0%. I am not certain if I will just stop taking projects from new clients, or just stop taking any new projects from any clients. Regardless, I do plan on working less during that time period, and warn clients that they need to starting looking for a new consultant.
__________________

__________________
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Retirement Date is 10/18/09 mrpd114 Hi, I am... 24 02-18-2010 12:23 PM
Which Retirement Date? yakers Other topics 8 02-22-2008 05:25 AM
ER Date is Set SteveR Life after FIRE 33 04-12-2007 06:28 PM
I think it's time to set a date.... thefed FIRE and Money 21 09-15-2006 03:58 PM
Set it and forget it retirement mugs FIRE and Money 34 03-13-2006 08:09 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.