Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #21

Well, I can only say that our embassies and consular offices don't seem to be getting any worse than they used to be. Ed, having been there, I wish you well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Update!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Update!!!

Everything is fine now.

As soon as I arrived home last week, I went straight to SS and tried to sort out my File-and-Suspend. I explained my situation to a very helpful young man who advised me that I could re-pay on the spot the SS already paid. He gave me a number. I ran home and got a check but when I returned I had to deal with a young lady who basically told me that he was wrong, I could not do it that way, to go home and wait for SS to mail me the value. Now I had two contradictory definitive answers from two highly trained, highly qualified SS officials. Dispair. That mail wold come--when? (You may recall that we live and work outside the country for more than 8 months of the year.) And by the time I could send a check, SS would have already send me several more. A moving target.

I went home for lunch and there was a phone message waiting from the young man to come right back. I did so. I gave him the check and it was entered immediately. He apologized for the less than accurate unhelpful response I got, as he had it all set up before he went to lunch.

Tuesday, we had an appointment and went down and set up DW's spousal benefit. Very smooth. My F&S was verified as was my repayment so DW's spousal benefits will be paid back to October.

By the way, as far as I know, my paperwork delivered to the US Embassy in October never got to SS. It had no effect.

All this reminds me of something a supervisor said to me long ago. His wife was contracted to work for the city as an attorney. After many years, he observed that we would all be better off if they fired half the city workers--and he said it wouldn't matter which half, the good ones or the bad ones. I have no opinion on this. I have usually been able to get what I need out of bureaucracies. It takes a lot of politeness and dogged persistence.

I am remembering Kafka's, "The Castle". The protagonist was an engineer who was trying to get paid for his work. Eventually the bureaucracy got tired of his efforts and had him blown up.

Cheers!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Everything is fine now.
All this reminds me of something a supervisor said to me long ago. His wife was contracted to work for the city as an attorney. After many years, he observed that we would all be better off if they fired half the city workers--and he said it wouldn't matter which half, the good ones or the bad ones. I have no opinion on this. I have usually been able to get what I need out of bureaucracies. It takes a lot of politeness and dogged persistence.

I am remembering Kafka's, "The Castle". The protagonist was an engineer who was trying to get paid for his work. Eventually the bureaucracy got tired of his efforts and had him blown up.

Cheers!
Cheers! When I pour myself a glass of wine at dinner this evening, I will silently toast to your perseverance.

About firing workers and having no effects on how the machine works, my friend once said something similar about our megacorp. It seems to be the universal truth that the larger the organization, the more screwed up it can get.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
he observed that we would all be better off if they fired half the city workers--and he said it wouldn't matter which half, the good ones or the bad ones.
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, from William F. Buckley, Jr.:
Quote:
I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University.
Glad your adventure in bureaucracy worked out well. Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, from William F. Buckley, Jr.:

Glad your adventure in bureaucracy worked out well. Congratulations!
Ed, your saga was much less bizarre than mine when I was trying to pay back my SS payments. I paid it back alright, but when it came time for me to get the 1099-SSA after year end, I got 3 of them, each thousands of dollars apart from any of the others. I delayed filing my 1040, and eventually got it straightened out. A beginner credit clerk at Macy's could have done a much better job, at half the pay

Ha
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Whew!

Lessons: keep things simple and avoid The Bureaucracy (any bureaucracy) whenever possible. Keep your body parts out of the gears.

Happy New Year, all!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote