Join Early Retirement Today

I think I get a pension!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I get a pension!

I was checking my FIDO account, and a new line item called Retirement Plan B showed up.
I did some checking, and even found my papers from 1985 about my pension. Years ago, I called, and was told I did not get one.
Well, in talking to FIDO, who just took this over in April, they confirmed I was vested. They have to do some sort of manual calculation, but said I should get a lump sum of back pension from age 65 (I am now 79).
Frankly, I will believe it when I get the check.

Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woo-hoo!
Nothing beats money out of the blue.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Woo-hoo!
Nothing beats money out of the blue.
+1
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That is great news !
Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I was checking my FIDO account, and a new line item called Retirement Plan B showed up.
I did some checking, and even found my papers from 1985 about my pension. Years ago, I called, and was told I did not get one.
Well, in talking to FIDO, who just took this over in April, they confirmed I was vested. They have to do some sort of manual calculation, but said I should get a lump sum of back pension from age 65 (I am now 79).
Gotta love it. Good on ya!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What took them so long?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What took them so long?
As posted in another thread mom got a letter 17.5 years after she retired
she was getting $280 a month for working in the school cafeteria, she retired at 73, we get a letter 6 months ago(October 2016) they miscalculated it, they owed her 8400. and now its about 320 a month. i wonder how many people died since they retired and now the estates get the letter? glad she was alive to see the increase.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
As posted in another thread mom got a letter 17.5 years after she retired
she was getting $280 a month for working in the school cafeteria, she retired at 73, we get a letter 6 months ago(October 2016) they miscalculated it, they owed her 8400. and now its about 320 a month. i wonder how many people died since they retired and now the estates get the letter? glad she was alive to see the increase.
No interest?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
What a great surprise, congratulations.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
No interest?
Not only did she get zero interest, But they owe her the cola on the 30 something dollars for 17.5(now 18 years)! I called her union, they blew me off, with the "we will look into it". That was about 7 months ago. I know it amounts to only a few bucks, but its her few bucks.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Great. Post the amount when you learn it so we can all vicariously share in the windfall.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A similar story. "A" died in 1992. Beneficiary of A's IRA was "B" who died in early 1994, before A's bank did anything. Executor of B's estate was contacted by bank in 2015. Each of B's beneficiaries received about $600 after fees. 23 years!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #14

After reading about these "many years delayed"pensions upthread , I wonder if some of these end up in a state's unclaimed funds if the heirs are not identified and/or located.

Might be worth a quick check of unclaimed funds sites in states where you know you had deceased relatives...or where you once lived? Usually, it's just a quick search by name.

omni
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
After reading about these "many years delayed"pensions upthread , I wonder if some of these end up in a state's unclaimed funds if the heirs are not identified and/or located.

Might be worth a quick check of unclaimed funds sites in states where you know you had deceased relatives...or where you once lived? Usually, it's just a quick search by name.

omni
In my mothers case , it never went unclaimed ,hahaha, they just held it back for 17.5 years.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Just goes to show that some surprises in FIRE are GOOD! Congrats and do let us know how it comes out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Bad news
Old 08-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #17

Bad news

I just got a letter from the pension admin. According to them I was vested, but cashed out my pension when I left in 1985
Oh well, that is life!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Look at the bright side:
You would need $2.28 today to equal the purchasing power of $1.00 back in 1985. So you got the money when it was worth far more than it would be today.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
I just got a letter from the pension admin. According to them I was vested, but cashed out my pension when I left in 1985
Oh well, that is life!
Boo. But we had fun responding to the thread anyway
Old 08-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #20

There does seem to be a concerted effort somewhere (government?) to help people track down pensions and other benefits. Sometime within the last year I got a letter- can't remember which government entity it came from- noting two previous employers that might owe me money. I'd left Employer A in 1978 and they had some Employee Stock Ownership Plan in which they'd deposited company stock in a retirement-type account. I called them and they said I'd liquidated mine years ago, which sounded right because I remember getting some correspondence in 1985 and getting a $2,000 check. Employer B was a place where I'd worked from 1985 to 1995 and I knew I was vested in the pension and had just filed for it- $900/month. In my case it didn't result in any found money but for people who are less obsessed with staying in touch with previous employers, it could be a nice windfall.

I'd be curious to know where untraceable beneficiaries figure into pension math. Do they have to hold a liability for X years in case the beneficiary suddenly files, or are pensions funded on the assumption that X% of beneficiaries will never file? I'd also be curious about whether unclaimed pension payments eventually revert to the state under escheat laws.