I Took All My Money Out of the Stock Market and It Feels Amazing

It's a general account fund that our company contracted with Mutual of America for back in 1979. [...]

If worse comes to worse, we have my husband's pension, which goes to me if he should not out live me. We have some other options and resources as well.

Thanks for your reply, Ally! Sounds like a solid plan.

This. TIPS track actual, not average historical inflation (as measured by CPI), don't they?

That's of course true, but don't you think that 'personal' inflation will usually be reasonably close to CPI? Especially if you are willing to make some adjustments? The one exception I could think of is if you are renting in a booming housing market. That could be a major item on your budget going up way more then CPI. But apart from that? If you own your primary residence (as I suppose most posters here do), mortgage-free or with a longer-term, fixed rate mortgage, I would expect your personal inflation to be close to (or usually below) CPI.

I know that our personal inflation rate is very low. Single biggest item is the mortgage, and that is fixed for the next ten years. Now if beer increases ten-fold, guess I'll drink more scotch instead.

Our personal inflation is typically higher than CPI. We spend a lot on travel, dining out, and entertainment. Those inflation rates seem a lot higher than CPI. Healthcare inflation far exceeds CPI. CPI is such a narrow basket that I think many people's personal inflation would not track with CPI.

Back
Top Bottom