I vote to call it a Bear Market!

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With the Russell 2000,Nasdaq and 60% of the S&P in a Bear Market, I think we can stop calling it a correction. Agree or disagree with a +1 or -1.

I changed my avatar when I saw this thread. Maybe this is a "Teddy Bear Market"? :D At least, so far. I agree with others that it's probably not a full fledged Bear Market quite yet.

TBH I expect it to get much worse before long, but then what do I know about it?
(answer: absolutely nothing).

+0.5

I'm holding back to see how things are January before calling it bear or no bear :popcorn:.

I’ll worry if my dividends start being cut.

I don't think the market cares what people call it.

When asked what the market was going to do, J.P. Morgan supposedly said: "It will fluctuate."

That's really all I know and all I need to know.

I don't think the market cares what people call it.

Of course the market cares what people think: it reacts and often over-reacts to people's thoughts and feelings. For instance, if people call it a correction and soon afterwards a whole bunch of people begin to call it a bear even before it becomes a bear, it can turn into a real nasty bear.

With the Russell 2000,Nasdaq and 60% of the S&P in a Bear Market, I think we can stop calling it a correction. Agree or disagree with a +1 or -1.

+1

This bear has been / continues to be forecast by many previously-reliable signals.

I really don't know which way to agree. I do know, that I hope it isn't a nasty bear, if that is what it is.

^ less taxes to pay. LOL

-1. Not yet.

The S&P high was 2940.91. It closed today at 2467.42. That's -16.1% down. Only 4 more percents to go. It may make it there before New Year. Plenty of time for us to celebrate NY and start 2019 in the pits. Why rush it?

On the bright side, it has decreased my RMD;)

But, but, but it increases my WR. :mad:

Last edited:
-1. If you have cash, perfect time to buy when market is down. The ones who are going to miss out are the panic sellers.

-1 The longest bull can't last forever. Now is better for me personally than later with OMY/TMY left, so I'm biased.

-1, although it is getting close to the official 20% down. Just 4% to go down, which at the current rate of approx 2% loss per day means we should hit the official bear next week, in time for year end performance results to look worse.

-1. Not yet.

The S&P high was 2940.91. It closed today at 2467.42. That's -16.1% down. Only 4 more percents to go. It may make it there before New Year. Plenty of time for us to celebrate NY and start 2019 in the pits. Why rush it?

But, but, but it increases my WR. :mad:

Yep, I’m waiting for the official S&P 500 index 20% down.

Yeah my 2019 income has been dropping steadily over the past two months!

+1. Think the politics at play will make it so. Hoping it’s a short one. Looking at Oct 19 fore FIRE.

Yep, I’m waiting for the official S&P 500 index 20% down.

+1

Wake me up when it drops 20% and I may start to bite.

Keep in mind oil has hit another low. While this may not be great for the industries and areas where most oil is produced, it is good for businesses and consumers and even government agencies that do things like run bus lines. And unemployment is still very low. It's not all bad news.

FWIW, investors need lower prices to get the returns they need to FIRE. Maybe not this group, but others do.

Last edited:
+1

Wake me up when it drops 20% and I may start to bite.

Keep in mind oil has hit another low. While this may not be great for the industries and areas where most oil is produced, it is good for businesses and consumers and even government agencies that do things like run bus lines. And unemployment is still very low. It's not all bad news.

FWIW, investors need lower prices to get the returns they need to FIRE. Maybe not this group, but others do.

Well it will certainly bring down the headline CPI and PPI numbers, putting less pressure on the Fed to be aggressive against inflation.

Grizzly coming out of hibernation?

Back
Top Bottom