Join Early Retirement Today
Re: I was just a victim of CC fraud - anyone else?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Re: I was just a victim of CC fraud - anyone else?

I was the victim of a non-fraudlent CC issue. Citicards cancelled my MC without a word of notice. I received a new set of cards with a new account number and a letter telling me my account was closed because of fraudlent use. I called the bank and asked about the charges that caused them to close the account. All were my own charges. Their detector system was too sensitive in my case.

I used the card for a variety of monthly accounts like Dish, internet ISP, etc. I also use it for some internet purchases. It was the internet purchases that set off the fraud detectors...I guess Citi never heard of internet purchases.

Last week I received a call from Citi asking about some charges on the new account. Again, they were all my charges. I gave them an earful about not understanding people can actually buy something in CA one hour and in NY the next on the internet without being there in person. All I got was silence on the other end. As long as they call me I am fine with it...I just don't want them to cancel my card again without talking to me first. It was a pain to change the CC number on several on-line accounts.

I am glad they are looking...just wish they would talk to me before they jump to conclusions.

Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I was just a victim of CC fraud - Walmart online music
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Re: I was just a victim of CC fraud - Walmart online music

Originally Posted by teejayevans
.... lo and behold they still have my credit card info!! You can protect you CC all you want, but
when stores save the information, its like a candy store to hackers and
crooked employees. Needless to say, I don't buy online from Walmart
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think walmart *ever* actually had your credit card info stored away. What they have stored is a number 'key' that, when combined with another number 'key' stored in a 'cookie' on your computer, will recreate the CC number.

The key they have is meaningless until you log onto their site from your computer. It is like having one piece to a puzzle.

I worry much more about giving the CC to the server at a restaurant. They can take it and use that high tech device known as a pencil, and store your CC# permanently.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote