Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe you have lots of company in that "financial denial" boat. Good on you for making changes at your tender age.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what's wierd is was only in financial denial for the last 6 months or so...never before...that is why it is so foreign to me

as i mentioned, i am glad i set up a mental 'trick' for myself...auto-debiting 40,50,75 bucks at a time to various savings accts which makes money disappear...but re-appear when i really really need it....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
That was impressive T-Al...did you have to do a search or was that off the top of your head?
I did a little search, but I think I would have gotten all but the move and the third child without the search.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Sharing financial difficulties is a sign of the times. I enjoyed this:
Shortcuts - Cutting Back in a Recession, and Talking About It - NYTimes.com
Quote:
That is, your broke may not be my broke.
I hope you enjoy reading it, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #25

The deal is. Stability. So much more easier to manage when things are mellow, consistant, and predicable. Since your life is not like that, now... sacrifice a little risk and gains for more stability.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. It's all what you want.

-CC
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've noticed this, and I almost get stressed just reading about all your different ventures (bounce houses, duct cleaning, house flipping, lawn care, bathroom renovation, rental, rental property management, third child, Ebay sales, moving, more).

Maybe simplifying would help you clear your mind and let you concentrate on finances more.
Yup.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #27

One other thing that helps an entrepreneur with a lot of ideas is to test drive them before you invest in them. I'm sure all of your business ventures are money makers but how many of them fit the lifestyle that you want to live. I came up with a lot of ideas for businesses here in Texas that would no doubt make money. When I researched them further I realized it would take a lot of my time away from family and the businesses would never make $1,000,000 per year so I scrapped them and put them on the back burner. Once I was honest with myself on what I wanted besides the money (like freedom, few employees, no collections, etc) the choice of business I chose to pursue became crystal clear. I still get distracted with other business ideas but once I do the mental exercise of what it would take to run it I shelve it and get back to work.
There is nothing wrong with selling a couple of your businesses and use the proceeds to grow the one with the most promise.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
T-Al may be right. I sense a case of "entrepreneurial overload" - attempting to spin way too many plates simultaneously.
Wow - a blast from the past . However I believe it represents the OP's situation, based upon comments.

rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

TheFed, here's your official theme song:
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
I still get distracted with other business ideas but once I do the mental exercise of what it would take to run it I shelve it and get back to work.
There is nothing wrong with selling a couple of your businesses and use the proceeds to grow the one with the most promise.
I loved Scott Adams' "Lazy Entrepreneur" concept. That had the beginnings of a real entrepreneur's incubator, and at this point in my life I'd happily give my best ideas away for a fraction of a percentage royalty to a favorite charity.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
what's wierd is was only in financial denial for the last 6 months or so...never before...that is why it is so foreign to me

as i mentioned, i am glad i set up a mental 'trick' for myself...auto-debiting 40,50,75 bucks at a time to various savings accts which makes money disappear...but re-appear when i really really need it....
Im still looking forward to some more house flipping adventures.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im still looking forward to some more house flipping adventures.

we're working on it....bought and sold one that i didnt document here because we were able to find a buyer and do a simultaneous close for +$5k

other than that, the slew of foreclosed homes around here are not hitting the market...maybe one or 2 a week vs. 10+/wk in the summer

i cant wait til the proverbial sh!t hits the fan...we will be standing by with cash in hand!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #33

Here in SF, we've got a Medical Marijuana Dispensary called Mr. Nice Guy. Seems like our state is on the verge of legalizing your favorite crop, thefed. Move here and start a thread called "Mr. Nice Guy 2".
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Al, is that from Fellini's 8 1/2?

Ha
Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yeah, I have been trying to recall the comedy act (the Ed Sullivan Show and others) that used this song to great effect. It featured a small ("Little Person"?) trying frenetically to keep up with the beat of the song. The name of the group is on the tip of my tongue but...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
That was impressive T-Al...did you have to do a search or was that off the top of your head?
Does it matter?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
Here in SF, we've got a Medical Marijuana Dispensary called Mr. Nice Guy. Seems like our state is on the verge of legalizing your favorite crop, thefed. Move here and start a thread called "Mr. Nice Guy 2".

my best friend is already there holding down the fort for me. got his card a few months ago for his, ummmm, medical issues.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

American Express saved me from myself in my wild, care free years in the 70's. You couldn't carry a balance, it was the only card I had and that saved my rear!!!!!
flpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote