Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I'm not retired, and wish I was younger

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I'm not retired, and wish I was older

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • I'm not retired, and I'm fine with my current age

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
I have always felt OK about my age, whatever it is. I remember when I turned 40 thinking how odd it seemed - it didn't bother me, but it did seem like it was someone else I was talking about when I said "40 years old". Now, my 50th birthday looms on the horizon, and I feel much the same way. More disbelief than anything.

I'm the same way. I just had my 59th birthday this past week. When I see a 60ish person, I think of them as being much older than me. Then I think...hey...that's just about how old I am. I think I still see myself as being 30-40 years old, when in reality, I passed that age a looong time ago.:( But, I'm still happy with the age I am, it's just my inner clock is a little messed up about how old everyone else is.:ROFLMAO:

I'm 59 and retired. I wouldn't mind being old except it hurts.

Heh, I think George Burns favorite line was: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.

Some mornings my previous days' workout reminders prove me alive and kicking, and happy about it.
coolsmiley.gif

I like being 62, my attitude just keeps improving, to the detriment of fools, whom I no longer suffer gladly, or at all...

I voted that I'd like to be younger. What I really want is to live forever but being younger would at least give me mmore time.

Mike D.

Ben Franklin: All would live long, but none would be old.

Easy question for a whippersnapper :cool: of age 51 - happy with my current age. Ask me again in 10 years, and I bet I'll give the same answer.
My perspective on age is very different due to life circumstances. I am in my "second life" and embrace it heartily. :D

Heh, I think George Burns favorite line was: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.

I quoted my favorite line from George Burns when I first joined this forum, but it is worth repeating here.

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What doesn't hurt doesn't work." - George Burns

I'm sorry Khan....

I think the reason I stated earlier that I feel younger is because I endured a lot of pain between the ages of 25 and 42. The past few years have felt like bliss; of course it could be I have developed a high tolerance to pain.

I turned 61 a few days ago and would have rather have turned 62 because I would be retiring at the end of the month. After that I can start getting younger again if I can keep my pension, etc.

I was born in 1948 and would have loved to be born in 1945 or so. As a baby boomer I was in a crowd at all stages of life. Our schools were over crowded, jobs were hard to find since everyone else was at the same education and experience level at first. Even now my coworkers are mostly my age range mostly 56-66 with most around 58-62. I would have liked to be ahead of the curve for buying a house, buying retirement house and selling to the younger generation.

I decided about 10 years ago to live like I was 10 years younger than my age. My family has women live to 97-99 mostly so I need to look at myself as younger. Women who have everyone in their family dead at 80-85 would only need to plan about 20 years of retirement at 61. I need to plan 40 years. My grandmother retired at 57 so was retired 42 years. I might work until I am 65 to shorten how long I will be retired so I will have more SS income and a bigger nest egg.

I am in perfect health at 61 and only starting to get a slight pain in my hip now. Mom is 83 and has bad hips but perfect health except some arthritis. She said she will live to 120 her doctor said she doesn't have anything that will kill her. She is a full time caregiver for two people now one in a wheel chair. I might have to plan to live to 120 too.

I don't really mind my job, nice people, no stress, easy work and pays really well. I will probably get a nice bonus and raise this month then next month 15% profit sharing. A couple more good years and retirement will have no money problems. I could retire now but would worry about money.

I chose: Not Retired - Wish I was younger.
I guess I should specify.
If I knew then what I know now... I would have been better with my money in my ealry 20's. I would have invested alot more in my company's 401K, and fully funded a Roth IRA while I was single. I wouldnt have "gambled" several thousand dollars in a get rich quick scheme. I would have had longer to compound interest, which would have helped me to RE that much quicker.

BUT...I dont mind being 28. I just wish we (hubby and I) were not so much in debt. I cant wait to be debt free and socking money away to get out of our jobs. We'd like to be able to do jobs that we love...even if it pays $7/hour.

~M

~

I chose, not retired, wish I was younger.

I feel much more physically fit than I ever have. However, as others have said, I am feeling the effects of gravity starting here - it seems especially over the past year. Having a hard time adjusting to my new wrinkles...:( <sigh> Such is life!

I don't really mind my job, nice people, no stress, easy work and pays really well. I will probably get a nice bonus and raise this month then next month 15% profit sharing.

Where do I send my resume?;)

I was born in 1948 and would have loved to be born in 1945 or so.

A friend from work and I used to say we were born at the perfect time(1948 & 1949). Lots of summer jobs, went to university after the sexual revolution and before Herpes, got into CS/IT/DP/whatever and advanced quickly to management and are now FI/RE.

Perceptions I guess.

I turneed 60 recently. On the one hand, I am glad ´cause my biological age at long last reached my mental age:D and I don´t have to worry about not being fun and active any more. On the other hand, I´ve been attending more and more funerals lately...
Sorry to dampen the mood of the thread:blush: but I am now very much aware of the Grim Reaper, a character I never thought of just a few years ago. Certainly not when I was working:D
PS have I already said that I love this forum?

Me too, Vicente. I am 61, and it seems like so many of those our age are dying. Now that I am finally retired, I want to live for another 30-40 years and enjoy my retirement but many people do not get that chance. This is one of the best reasons that I can think of to retire early.

...I want to live for another 30-40 years and enjoy my retirement but many people do not get that chance. This is one of the best reasons that I can think of to retire early.

Reminds me a family legend that also inspired me to think about early retirement. My great-uncle's best friend, Tom, died in his 20s. On his death bed my then elderly great uncle said, "Tom didn't have enough time."

btw, 15 months after retiring, I do feel younger than the day I retired which, of course, is one thing I wanted.

Hey...now wait a minute. You told me a while back we would still be considered hot tamales in Florida when we were in our 80s! :LOL:

The assumption is that you would bring three of your "friends"...

That would make an average age of 20 (or there about's - I'm not pickey :rolleyes: ).

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once good as I ever was :whistle: ...

Back
Top Bottom