I'm retired, and wish I was older 1 0.74%
I'm retired, and I'm fine with my current age 35 25.74%
I'm not retired, and wish I was younger 28 20.59%
I'm not retired, and wish I was older 6 4.41%
I'm not retired, and I'm fine with my current age 35 25.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

I wish I was younger/older?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wish I was younger/older?

May seem odd, but I almost wish I was a little older than I am for several reasons. Wondered how others might feel?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

No. I am OK as is. Will you share your reasons?

PS. To reply to Midpack's response below: OK. I did not see the poll the first time. I have voted too.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No. I am OK as is. Will you share your reasons?
Yes, but can I wait until a few votes have rolled in?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm not retired, and for the most part I would prefer to be younger, because there are a number of things I would like to have done earlier in life, e.g. become a self directed investor! OTOH, sometimes I would like to be older and closer to RE!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would like to feel younger.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Isn't there medication for that?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Isn't there medication for that?
Well, at least we know that Midpack is not here to sell it to us!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had never wanted to be any age other than what I was at the time this question was asked in the past. Now, as I get closer to the end, I am having second thoughts... I would love to do it all again.

Another thought is that, of course, I would want to be (a lot) younger. I was born into a pretty unproductive time in history, these are some pretty exciting times we live in today.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Administrator

I love life and do not want to die. I want to stay alive as long as possible. Every moment, whether joyous or miserable and full of pain, is preferable to nothingness IMO.

Given that point of view, I voted that I want to be younger. If I could choose an age at which I would be immortal, I suppose I would choose to be about ten years younger than I am at the moment. But given no immortality, I would want to be as young as possible in order to have as long a life as possible ahead of me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I would like to look younger but stay the same age . When I look at pictures of myself twenty years ago I realize I was hot and now those days are over except when I get hot flashes and that is a different kind of hot .
Old 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm thoroughly content being the age I am! I don't have any desire at all to be younger...and go through all that cr*p again! And I certainly don't wish I was older than I am....why would I want to wish my life away?!

Nope....I'll stay just 'xactly how I am, thank you very much!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #12

In terms of the economic "deal" different generations are getting and the potential for prolonged harder economic times ahead, I'd prefer to be in my parents' generation. Their generation got probably the sweetest economic deal of any in the history of the planet and their descendants are probably going to have it worse with each successive generation, at least for a while.

But in terms of having a "do over" in terms of my career -- and having more time left to enjoy life -- being younger would be nice as well, to see so many more wonders develop and so many neat new breakthroughs emerge.

But in the end, we are what we are, so we might as well enjoy it and try to avoid "generation envy" or whatever you want to call it. And at my current age, I'm wise and experienced enough to know what I want from life from here on out and how to enjoy it, and I'm young enough to be able to enjoy those things for decades. So at this phase, entering my mid-40s, I'm fairly blessed here as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #13

I'm a serious late bloomer in everything. Career, family, education, etc. Given that, I'd like to be younger and know what I know now.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted I'm not retired, and I'm fine with my current age.

I'm learning to be content with conditions over which I have no control.

I do, however, wish that I had been this smart when I was younger
Old 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #15

I marked retired, but plan to work again on some level when I am thru eldercaring. I definitely wish I were younger because, at an advanced age, you not only see all your errors; but I have a number of goals I want to accomplish, and wish I had more time in life left to more guarantee I could reach them. All I can do is work double time now and try to finish them. Thankfully I can handle pressure..ha!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
.....I do, however, wish that I had been this smart when I was younger
I was this smart when I was younger, I was just too dumb to realize it!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quite a few wished to be young again, but also to retain their hard-earned wisdom or experience or money! No can do! Who wouldn't want that?

You must go back empty-handed, and start anew. Then, we would all make different but new mistakes. And they could be worse mistakes. NOOOO!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #18

To quote Mark Twain, ďAge is an issue of mind over matter. If you donít mind, it doesnít matterĒ.

Besides, itís not the age, itís the mileage.

Me - I'm happy that I got this far.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
To quote Mark Twain, ďAge is an issue of mind over matter. If you donít mind, it doesnít matterĒ.

Besides, itís not the age, itís the mileage.

Me - I'm happy that I got this far.
It's not my mind. I always feel older than my age, even as a kid.

It's my body now. Sigh...
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #20

I am about to start a whole new adventure in retirement and don't want to be younger. I don't think I even want to skip these last 2 months to get into retirement.