Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: I planned to retire on June 9th, but they are having trouble replacing me. I gave 3 months notice and they have conducted several interviews but weren't happy. So....I have agreed to stay on part-time for a while. I set my own hours/days and essentially come and go as I want. I have planned vacations and am taking them. I'm OK with part-time for now or I wouldn't have agreed to it. But, I won't let it go on too long. I'm still over analyzing my numbers and just find it hard to believe that we can retire. According to Firecalc and my own spreadsheets, I could up my spending to $70K per year and still be all right. I'm doing a lot of reading here.....all very helpful! Major
Retiredmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #22

Are they trying hard to replace you, or are they just taking advantage of you? That's what I would be asking myself.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Push the envelope. Now that you have a nicer gig, ask for more. Can paid vacation be increased? Private parking spot? Expense acct? The sky is the limit!!!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks to me that you are golden. I typically advise folks contemplating retirement to have back-ups to their retirement plans. In our case, we know we could ditch one car or even both since we have such good bus service. If it got really bad, we could move from Paradise to the mainland. Nothing right now suggests that will be necessary, but having a proposed back-up (with at least some general ideas of how much it would save) gives a certain comfort level when you are getting ready to pull the plug.

By the way, thanks for your service, Major.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think this is a good deal. I am hoping to get something similar, I will know for sure within a month. Working part time is a good way to test your transition to living at your planned retirement income level. In fact, maybe start living at that income level now, it will give you more comfort.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all your feedback. It's not a bad deal, but I certainly don't feel "retired"! We're on a cruise in July, so July will fly by pretty quickly. About mid August, I'll let them know that I WILL be done soon and I'll pick a date. By the way, is there some other tool as good as Firecalc that I can use? I'm not finding anything as comprehensive out there. AND....I seem to have this overwhelming need to check my numbers over and over!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #27

There's a list of standard questions somewhere on this forum - I couldn't find it this morning.

So I'll try to remember:
- Does your $4,500 include taxes?
- Replacing a roof or a car?
- Do you have children, and if so, any chance of boomerang children?
- Would you continue your hobby job if one of you had a serious health problem, and if not, would that be a problem?
- You'd like to travel, is travel expense in the $4,500?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredmajor View Post
Update: I planned to retire on June 9th, but they are having trouble replacing me. I gave 3 months notice and they have conducted several interviews but weren't happy. So....I have agreed to stay on part-time for a while. I set my own hours/days and essentially come and go as I want. I have planned vacations and am taking them.
I had the same experienc. It was surprisingly enjoyable.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
There's a list of standard questions somewhere on this forum - I couldn't find it this morning.

So I'll try to remember:
- Does your $4,500 include taxes?
- Replacing a roof or a car?
- Do you have children, and if so, any chance of boomerang children?
- Would you continue your hobby job if one of you had a serious health problem, and if not, would that be a problem?
- You'd like to travel, is travel expense in the $4,500?
Hey Independent...thanks for the questions.
- The $4500 does not include taxes, but I have a tax guy and i've explored what taxes will be roughly. They are not a problem.
House is new and cars are late model and paid for! No major expenses that I can foresee.
-Kids are married and successful - doubt any issues there!
- I can do the hobby job easily next year and the year after, in fact it might go on for 2, 3, 4 or 5 years. This year I'll earn @ $50K at it and next year could be about the same. Obviously, a catastrophic illness would change that, but we are both in very good health, run, work out, bike, hike, etc. The job is a teaching job, not physical.
- Travel is not in the $4500 monthly budget, but I estimate that we will spend @ $5K - $7K on travel each year. Even with that, it pushes me to just over 60K spend per year.
So, hobby job, plus pension, plus SS at age 62 plus Tricare Healthcare, plus $700K in nest egg is my plan! Major
Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
......By the way, is there some other tool as good as Firecalc that I can use? I'm not finding anything as comprehensive out there. AND....I seem to have this overwhelming need to check my numbers over and over!!!

I used www.i-orp.com to double check using a different tool. This tool is also discussed often here and used by many. Has good help screens and author answers questions emailed to him.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #31

The tax interactions between SS payments, RMDs, earnings etc. are complex, so you may benefit from running your situation through a program like ESR Planner. I don't know if iORP will help, but it doesn't take much to fill in your data there too.

Your hesitation to ER isn't surprising. I think most of us here have felt it when we quit our full time jobs. I think it is the very characteristic that makes us capable of ER that gives us the jitters too. But ER is glorious!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Hey Independent...thanks for the questions.
- The $4500 does not include taxes, but I have a tax guy and i've explored what taxes will be roughly. They are not a problem.
House is new and cars are late model and paid for! No major expenses that I can foresee.
-Kids are married and successful - doubt any issues there!
- I can do the hobby job easily next year and the year after, in fact it might go on for 2, 3, 4 or 5 years. This year I'll earn @ $50K at it and next year could be about the same. Obviously, a catastrophic illness would change that, but we are both in very good health, run, work out, bike, hike, etc. The job is a teaching job, not physical.
- Travel is not in the $4500 monthly budget, but I estimate that we will spend @ $5K - $7K on travel each year. Even with that, it pushes me to just over 60K spend per year.
So, hobby job, plus pension, plus SS at age 62 plus Tricare Healthcare, plus $700K in nest egg is my plan! Major
Thanks. Having self-supporting kids is a big deal these days.

I'm assuming that TriCare is a pretty good deal.

I look at the long term and say that after you quit working, and start SS, and pay off the house, you'll have about $47,400 of COLA'd income to cover about $32,400 of basic spending. (I'm assuming $400 of your mortgage payment is taxes and insurance.)

Taxes on the $47,400 should be minimal. No telling how long you'll want to travel. The $10,000 cushion in your plan should cover it.

Your newer house will eventually need repairs, and your newer cars will eventually need to be replaced. But, again, the travel doesn't continue forever.

In the short term, it looks like your job and military pension cover spending including mortgage. Even if you didn't have the job as long as you expect, it seems that you could cover your shortfall before SS with "modest" withdrawals.

Long term care insurance might cost $5,000 per year *. But, you've got a $700k nest egg and a house. I think most people would consider that plenty for LTC.

As long as you're happy with your lifestyle, it looks like you're good to go.

* The only source of online premium info I can find is here: https://www.ltcfeds.com/ltcWeb/do/as...token=mDq833Cy and those rates a probably lower than non-federal workers can get.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I think this is the one you're referring to:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1399715

Retiredmajor, it is not at all uncommon to get a bit anal about checking the numbers. Retirement is a big life-changing event and since it is usually irreversible, wanting to make sure you get it right is perfectly normal.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #34

I like the Fidelity Retirement Income Planning tool. Used it many times to validate our ER. Also ran our numbers by a professional FA to get another opinion.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think this is the one you're referring to:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1399715

Retiredmajor, it is not at all uncommon to get a bit anal about checking the numbers. Retirement is a big life-changing event and since it is usually irreversible, wanting to make sure you get it right is perfectly normal.
Thanks. I couldn't remember the title and didn't expect it on page 2.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #36

Quote:
The thought of not working full time is making my head spin!!
Don't you think that working right before you drop is more troublesome? Your financials are sound for RE.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's an update on our situation.....and thanks for all the advice!

I was working part-time while they looked for my replacement and they have now found someone. I officially retired last Friday, Nov. 3rd. However, another department hired me to lead a Lean Project for them that will have me working maybe 2 days a week for a total of 15 hours a week or so through January. I enjoyed working part time for the last 5 months, so this will be nice.

I'll turn 61 in December. Our nest egg has grown and our savings are the same. Next year we plan to live off my Army pension, savings and my hobby job, which earned $50K this year. Next year, hobby job earnings should be the same or even better now that I have more time. My hobby job keeps me busy about 6 days a month and is something I really enjoy.

I may take SS at 62, but more than likely I'll just hold off year to year until I feel I need to take it.

Feels weird to not work full time, but I'm on the journey!

This is a great site and I've learned a lot from all of you! Major
Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #38

Congratulations and thank you for your service.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something just doesn't seem right to me. Not trying to pry. You're a retired O4 and your pension is ONLY $15,000 a year?

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=wrigley;1961725]Something just doesn't seem right to me. Not trying to pry. You're a retired O4 and your pension is ONLY $15,000 a year?

Mike,

I was active duty Army as an enlisted soldier and after I was discharged I joined the National Guard, attended OCS and became an Officer. Retirement from the National Guard is based on a point system and kicks in when you reach age 60. I wish it was more but I'm grateful for it, and the fact that it's tied to a COLA, and the Tricare Healthcare that my wife and I now enjoy.