Idaho, Time for Property Tax Revolution

The property value is a tool to distribute the total tax for the taxing district among the district property owners.  If all values went up 200% the slice of the pie that each pays doesn't change.  Property values in and around Boise have gone up a lot these last couple years.  I'll bet the assessor's office hadn't run the numbers for ages.

What property owners need to watch is relative value, and the number of exempt properties.  In your corner of the world check to see if there are tax exempt non-profits/charitable orgs owning income producing property - the old tax shifting 'game'.

Brat said:
The property value is a tool to distribute the total tax for the taxing district among the district property owners. If all values went up 200% the slice of the pie that each pays doesn't change. I'll bet the assessor's office hadn't run the numbers for ages.

I am not counting on that. They reassessed my property last year with a 35% increase. Taxes went up about the same.

So nail the assesor's office down on their process.  They don't create property taxes, they distribute them.

My next question is were property tax increases proposed that were knowingly miss-represented with respect to impact because of old assessments? 

Have you built new schools to accomodate your growing population?  Some communities have impact fees assessed on new construction for just that purpose.  If you have school impact fees are the school districts setting aside that money for new buildings or are they using that money for current expenses?

Some older Californians (most of whom came from somewhere else before moving to California) move to Nevada; some older Washingtonians and Oregonians and Nevadans move to Idaho. It's part of the sell-your-house- and- move- somewhere cheaper-where-you-get-same or more-house-for-less- money syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom