Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ideas for Broadband Connection???
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ideas for Broadband Connection???

Okay...my 6-month promo price on my Comcast internet expired and the price has more than doubled to $55/month I knew it was coming.... I tried the disconnect tactic to see if they would extend the promo price, but they must know that I can't get DSL and didn't bite! I don't need the 6M connection because this is our future RE home and we only use it on weekends - I can't stomach dial-up because I do occasionally WFH to extend the weekend. Quite frankly, I have 768k DSL at our primary house and I don't notice a significant difference between the Comcast 6M and the Verizon 768k DSL (the DSL is a lot less expensive!). I checked out satellite, but it is expensive. My sister suggested a EV-DO card which may work. I just wonder about the cost and getting a consistent speed. I do have excellent cell service - so it could be the solution.

Any ideas out there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ideas for Broadband Connection???
Old 05-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Dial-up is a lot faster when images are turned off.
AzDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #3

Since your in the PNW, there is an outfit called "www.clearwire.com".
They charge $30/month. They sell you ( for $100) this antenna/modem that transmits & receives rather than going thru the phone or cable. The good thing about this setup is you can move the modem around when you travel. One thing you got to verify is that you can get the signal from both locations. There is a map on the web site that will give you an idea of the coverage area.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

I live in rural Virginia with no high speed DSL/cable, etc. I have crappy service from my phone company, Verizon, and live too far away from the central office for even good dialup. They are also milking really old equipment. Everytime the lights even flicker the tiniest bit the phone goes out for 4 or 5 hours.

I recently got Sprint PCS EVDO service and canceled my second phone line which I had only used for a modem line to the computer.

It's great. I get 1.2 Mb download speeds and 280K upload. I got the USB connector version so I could use it on both my desktop and laptop.

I costs $59.95 per month but that is offset by $30.00 for the canceled phone line. It comes with one email address. I also canceled my dialup ISP (mindspring/earthlink) so I am saving another $20.00 per month there.

So for about $10.00/month more I am getting high speed and I can attach it to the laptop and use it anywhere.

Don't get the Verizon version of the EVDO service. Their "unlimited" service is capped at 5 GB per month. If you exceed that they will cancel you and charge you an early termination fee for breaking the terms of service.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Since your in the PNW, there is an outfit called "www.clearwire.com".
They charge $30/month. They sell you ( for $100) this antenna/modem that transmits & receives rather than going thru the phone or cable. The good thing about this setup is you can move the modem around when you travel. One thing you got to verify is that you can get the signal from both locations. There is a map on the web site that will give you an idea of the coverage area.
These things are very nice. One of my kids has it. A negative that I notice is that there seems to be a lag opening a page. I think compared to DSL it may be a little slower. As well as home use it should be a safe solution with a powerpak for coffee houses and the car, but of course coverage is spotty.

Ha
Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

EVDO service is still running about $60/month as far as I know.....

Audrey
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
EVDO service is still running about $60/month as far as I know.....
Yep. That's what I'm paying.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Cant get jack here either. No wireless providers, no DSL, just expensive comcast. Surprising considering I live in one of the most affluent areas near the capital of california, and nobody wants to offer a competitive service.

You definitely dont want satellite, unless you're doing primarily large file transfers. Turnaround time and delays are hideous, the service goes out a lot, etc.

The radio based wireless options work okay with a fixed antenna with line of sight. No experience with the cellular options but I'd imagine that every caveat associated with voice cellular would apply.

"Can you read me now?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the radio based wireless with the fixed antenna for a couple of years....It isnt for everyone and worked out well for me since I am on a higher elevation....DSL is just getting offered in my area and might try that since my existing contract is up....and the offer is for 19.99/month for a year on the DSL...sounds like the cell phone providers are advertising service also...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I suppose things are different by region, but I have a basic home phone service through Quest. I can piggy back on that with high speed internet by signing a contract to use them for two years at $26.95 per month. They promise not to internet raise rates for the rest of your life (I suppose there are some catches with that). I still use dial up but this has tempted me. I've seen something similar with comcast, but not recently. I don't find dial up horribly cumbersome, though. I usually have two or three windows open and can be reading something while the other windows are in the process of opening.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

See if you can get a wifi signal from a neighbor, and if so offer to pay them to share the service. I shared with my neighbor for a while, but I just recently found that the clubhouse at our condo complex offers free wifi for people to use their laptops by the pool (this is Silicon Valley). By placing my wifi antenna by the window I can get that signal from the clubhouse and that's what I'm using right now as I type this.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

"You definitely dont want satellite, unless you're doing primarily large file transfers. Turnaround time and delays are hideous, the service goes out a lot, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, I guess different strokes for different folks, but we LOVE our satellite system. Our system is a mobile system on a motorhome roof, and I can't remember any times that the service has gone out since we got it in 2003.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechickens
"You definitely dont want satellite, unless you're doing primarily large file transfers. Turnaround time and delays are hideous, the service goes out a lot, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, I guess different strokes for different folks, but we LOVE our satellite system. Our system is a mobile system on a motorhome roof, and I can't remember any times that the service has gone out since we got it in 2003.

LooseChickens
Is it Wild Blue? $50/mo plus setup and antenna?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Some electric utility companies are working on supplying broad band internet access through the electric lines. Not sure if there is anything but experimentation at this point. But it would be good to get some competition to the phone and cable companies.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have a weekend house with no access to anything -- not even cable. Back when I first got on this forum someone posted about a back door to Verizon. I have been using that ever since. It only costs me regular cell phone minutes (free after 9:00 PM and on weekends). The speed varies between about 70k and 130k - good enough for checking email. This is not EVDO - it is called National Access. The back door is only open for certain older phones that normally just access the network for sending pictures. With a lot of the newer ones like DW's you have to subscribe to access the network.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
Some electric utility companies are working on supplying broad band internet access through the electric lines. Not sure if there is anything but experimentation at this point. But it would be good to get some competition to the phone and cable companies.
Our elec coop has been working on this for a couple of years; so far they only have it up in a small service area, but keep promising that it will be available to everybody "soon" ......"soon" sure takes a long time to get here!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobot
Our elec coop has been working on this for a couple of years; so far they only have it up in a small service area, but keep promising that it will be available to everybody "soon" ......"soon" sure takes a long time to get here!
The power companies have been saying "soon" since back when I was in Telecom (99-02). I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Then again, if it happened we'd probably make the switch assuming the price were right--one less utility vendor to deal with.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had Wildblue satellite for over a year and love it. Living out in the country has its drawbacks and one is the lack of any cable or internet connections. Direct TV and Wildblue saved the day. The cost for WB is $50 per month, the set up was on special but was something like $200. The only requirements is a southern exposure. We lose the signal during really bad thunderstorms when the clouds are thick with rain but otherwise they are very reliable. I will NEVER go back to dialup. The savings to my bloodpressure readings since we switched far outweigh the expense.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

two4, I have heard people complain online that there is an annoying latency when opening pages. Do you notice this? How does it compare to DSL?

Ha
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is what they say....

What kind of speed can I expect?
WildBlue offers packages that provide different speed levels. Our core Value Pak offers up to 512 Kbps download speed and up to 128 Kbps upload speed. Our Select Pak features download speeds up to 1.0 Mbps and upload speeds up to 200 Kbps. Our Pro Pak offers download speeds up to 1.5 Mbps and upload speeds up to 256 Kbps.
A 150 k webpage will dload in 3 seconds vs. 21 seconds for dial up.

It is not as fast as other internet connections but is so much improved over dial up that I am well satisfied. I guess if I had downgraded from some other type of connection I might be unhappy but that is not the case.

2fer