Join Early Retirement Today

Ideas to celebrate milestones
Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ideas to celebrate milestones

We're about ready to hit a milestone with investments hitting $2,000,000.

We're living frugally, and know there are times we ought to celebrate, and this ought to be a time.

Thoughts or ideas that others have, or have done when hitting certain major milestones?

retire48in2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had said I would buy a Honda S2000 if/when I hit $2M. When I hit it, I really started to look into it and decided I wanted a Miata instead, and that was the gap year when Mazda didn't make one, so I bought a used one instead. Still have it.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depends what you fancy? A night on the town in the Limousine, a trip to an exotic bucket list destination, that new set of golf clubs or big screen tv, a new vehicle. Of course set a limit, no need to spend 1 of the 2 on that yacht when you could rent a pontoon for a sunny days cruise.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Just don't spend 2mm.
Congrats. Great to hear.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on today's market performance, you might want to wait. ;-)
Carpediem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

Do like we do and "try" NOT to live so frugally anymore, but it is very hard to change. It does also depend how old you are and how long it has to last.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #7

based on today.. McDonald's for you.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Do like we do and "try" NOT to live so frugally anymore, but it is very hard to change. It does also depend how old you are and how long it has to last.
Yep, old habits can be hard to break. I remember one milestone goal I had set was that, once I sold my condo and the proceeds cleared, I would stop drinking cheap beer. It was a minor treat, but, baby steps I guess.

This wasn't a specific dollar milestone, but I was in possession of that condo, after I had moved, so juggling it plus the new house was getting to be a drain. Anyway, December 2004 was sort of a perfect convergence of events. The condo sold, and cleared around $78,000. On top of that, the monthly costs of around $1100-1200 associated with it went away. Also around that time, I made the final payment on my car, so that freed up another ~$350/mo.

Once the condo was sold, and those monthly costs went away, it felt like a big weight had been lifted. But, at the same time, I didn't feel like blowing that dough. If anything, I started getting more serious about saving and investing. 2005 was the first year, I believe, that I started maxing out my 401k contributions.

Now, here it is, 14 years later. The beer I'm drinking really isn't that much higher quality. I'm still of the attitude that "fine dining" means hitting up Burger King or Wendy's instead of McDonalds. But, I've also moved again, and these days have a fairly hefty mortgage. I also have a higher income, and much greater assets than 14 years ago, so the big mortgage is more of a mental thing, than something that could theoretically sink me, but it's still hard to crack open that wallet and splurge, sometimes!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire48in2018 View Post
We're about ready to hit a milestone with investments hitting $2,000,000.

We're living frugally, and know there are times we ought to celebrate, and this ought to be a time.

Thoughts or ideas that others have, or have done when hitting certain major milestones?
When we hit that number my wife and I had a drink and clinked glasses.

That was enough for us.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #10

Spend time together. Money is fungible. Time is not.

We always enjoy regional, but higher end (for us) trips to commemorate our little victories in life. It's time to be in the moment; reflect on where we've been; plan/dream of what lies **ahead.

**This includes the time when I took DW to Black Mountain Veterans' Cemetery - to show her where we will spend our final "regional trip."
Old 03-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

With the last big milestone that we crossed, I asked my wife what she wanted [a Kitchen Queen cookstove 480 kitchen queen and a Harvest Right Freeze-dryer https://harvestright.com/] and I got a new whiskey still.

We are looking at coming up on a new milestone this next Fall. So I have been asking and thinking about what we want next. But I really do not know what it will be.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We eased up on the LBYM lifestyle a bit when we hit $1M before age 45, so we didn't have a specific splurge, we just started eating out a bit more often and more nicely, and things like that.

For example, we're going out to a very nice Brazilian churrascaria to celebrate the kid's birthday next weekend...but of course, we have coupons!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #13

I'd like a large coffee from McDonalds - black.

DH would like a 90k SUV.

As you can see, we're on the same page here.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
When we hit that number my wife and I had a drink and clinked glasses.

That was enough for us.
Us too. At that benchmark we had steaks and a bottle of LaMarca prosecco (about $15). We seem to have lightened up on the penny pinching a little since then. For our anniversary Friday we ordered top shelf drinks at a rooftop bar before dinner and didn't even wince at the bill! Old habits die hard...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #15

How about a long weekend away somewhere?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #16

The Dali Lama said: "Man sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. Then he is so anxious about the future that he doesn't enjoy the present: the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived".

Only you know what makes you happy. Go enjoy some more of that! (maybe on the higher end of the cost scale this time?)