Join Early Retirement Today

Identity theft
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Identity theft

Well, I have read off and on about people having their identity stolen... and wondered how it happened...

I was called last night from a collection agency wanting to collect on some bounced checks from a Wells Fargo account...

TP - "Sorry, I don't have a Wells account"...

Them "do you live here"

TP - "yes"

Them "does you drivers license end in XXXX"

TP - "yes"

Them "then you need to file a police report, etc. etc. etc...."

SOOO, I have started down the path of doing all the crap work I have to do now to get this taken care of... So far, I have heard they have written 3 checks totaling over $2500... must be buying some nice things...

Now my first thought was.... why would I be in Irving TX buying all this stuff when I live down in Houston... my second thought was... why did you (Telecheck) approve these checks If you look at my history, the last time I bought something with a check that was not with a family member was back in 2003 and it was a CAR!!! Ya might think that this does not fit my buying pattern and NOT approve 3 large checks (and maybe more as they were in a mall)....

I am still wondering where they got my info...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Bummer, Texas. I worry about that sort of thing all the time. They say that mailboxes are where a lot of fraud starts--stealing checks and getting the info off of them.

I think more and more of us are going to have interactions like yours. I just had to cancel my Penfed card because it was used fraudulently (they think through that big 3rd party processor breach).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Administrator

So sorry. Hopefully you will be able to deal with this with minimum hassle. Document everything very carefully.

If you don't mind, perhaps you could update us on this along the way as you resolve it. This can be helpful to others.

Good luck
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Administrator

I take it the thief opened a Wells Fargo account in your name. I just opened a new bank account on-line this last week and they needed, among other things, SS #, DL licence #, signature forms mailed in, and then they mail me confirmation details and PIN.

Yesterday I was listening to a BBC article where a particular loan firm has had over 5,000 accounts frauduently opened with stolen identities and the first the targets knew about it was when collection agencies started chasing them for re-payment of the loans. The firm says it is now tightening up security when new accounts are opened. (it is costing the firm at least £1.5m - the customers won't lose money but have all the aggravation of fixing their credt rating etc)
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I take it the thief opened a Wells Fargo account in your name. I just opened a new bank account on-line this last week and they needed, among other things, SS #, DL licence #, signature forms mailed in, and then they mail me confirmation details and PIN.

Yesterday I was listening to a BBC article where a particular loan firm has had over 5,000 accounts frauduently opened with stolen identities and the first the targets knew about it was when collection agencies started chasing them for re-payment of the loans. The firm says it is now tightening up security when new accounts are opened. (it is costing the firm at least £1.5m - the customers won't lose money but have all the aggravation of fixing their credt rating etc)
Our company happens to have Wells as a bank, so I talked to our account manager who said they could not find any account with my name or address.. they think that they just printed up checks with my name and address... note: I do not have the full account number yet... might never get it...

I HOPE that I will get some more info on the account etc. to find out where my info came from... so far, no SS # info has been given to me to indicate they have that.. but in reality that is not as hard to get as some might think...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am not worried about someone compromising my credit card -- you are covered for those losses and replacement is not a major hassle. I do worry about fraudsters taking out a new line of credit in my name. So DW and I wrote to the three nation credit bureaus and froze our credit. Now no one can open a new line of credit in our names. We would have to take action to temporarily unfreeze if we wanted to take out a loan or get a new CC - but that isn't likely.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Our company happens to have Wells as a bank, so I talked to our account manager who said they could not find any account with my name or address.. they think that they just printed up checks with my name and address... note: I do not have the full account number yet... might never get it...

I HOPE that I will get some more info on the account etc. to find out where my info came from... so far, no SS # info has been given to me to indicate they have that.. but in reality that is not as hard to get as some might think...
Thanks for the clarification. Thanks for posting about this experience.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wow - what a pain, Texas Proud!

If someone just prints up fake checks with legit name and address and DL# of someone else, then no freezing of credit is going to help. There was no account opened.

This is very interesting. I haven't heard of this scenario.

Can collections agencies even go after someone because of forged checks? They would have to prove who forged the checks. If the account doesn't exist, the bank doesn't honor them. These checks didn't "bounce".

Audrey
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just opened a new bank account on-line this last week and they needed, among other things, SS #, DL licence #, signature forms mailed in, and then they mail me confirmation details and PIN.
I'm confused-- did you do that with your info or with Texas Proud's info?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm confused-- did you do that with your info or with Texas Proud's info?
My Dad always told me to spend other people's money when you can

As kids, whenever we were visiting someone's house for tea or supper he would embarass my mother by loudly telling us, "Remember, eat as much as you can!"