Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords, I see what you mean. I'd like to think I'm safe because of security practices that are much better then average. No need to tweak the security gods so will not mention the specifics.

Also I've only bought/sold mainline ETF's, never individual securities. So my defense would perhaps be a bit better with Vanguard VBS then some who trade stocks. Still if one were really worried and were using Vanguard, they could close out their brokerage account and only use mutual funds. I'm not likely to do this.

I'm not trying to say this could not happen. Do you know if it has happened much? Has it ever happened in a Vanguard VBS account?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm not trying to say this could not happen. Do you know if it has happened much? Has it ever happened in a Vanguard VBS account?
I've only read about it anecdotally in financial websites like Seeking Alpha.

I'm sure none of the brokerage houses would care to discuss how frequently it happens. That's the beauty of arbitration...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be less worried about your Chase accounts (which would likely be made good for any fraud) and more worried about what can be done with the information your wife gave out. With a name, social security number and address, a crook can open credit card and bank accounts in your name, file faudulent tax returns and get immediate refunds (with fake W2s that unfortunately take IRS 6 months to check), etc. etc.

It sounds like you've done everything you can to deal with that. (Including, I presume signing up for a high class identity and credit monitoring service despite the cost. For now, all you can do is be vigilant. If someone starts using the information, you may have to change your wife's social security number, maintain a high level fraud alert with your credit agencies, etc. As an ID fraud victim myself (info stolen/sold from a mortgage application) let me tell you it can be a real drag! Good luck!!!
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it is any consolation, I'd imagine this ID info appears stale to the crooks after awhile. There have been many instances of large scale data loss and I don't think we see massive ID theft. Most firms supply some sort of compensation to potential victims such as a 2 year contract with a credit report firm -- we had this from HP (former employer lost laptop data) with Equifax for a few years. So far no problems for us after several years.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Geeez ... being scammed would required you ANSWER THE PHONE .... SCREEN your calls people!

I haven't answered an 800/888/877 call in 10 years.