Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's so important about his career move that he wants you to move and give up a job earning 4x to 6x what his earns? Makes me wonder about other non-monetary issues. Maybe lengthy heart-to-heart conversations are in order. With 4.5 MM you are certainly some degree of FI. What are your (both of you) goals and what do you want to accomplish?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoping View Post
Running bum, he does not want to go without me. He wants me to move with him, which is something we have talked about for a while. I am the one getting cold feet, because of what I would be giving up in income.
OK, but before when you mentioned it you only listed the options to either live separately, or give up this income. You didn't say that one of the options was for your DH to stay with you even though he wants to live elsewhere. Hence, my comment.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Growing older,

Good questions. I am partly to blame for this situation, as we have both talked about moving to the West Coast and starting new lives. He went ahead and got a great job. I am now facing the reality of the situation, which will mean either that he gives up a terrific job in the place we ultimately want to live (and where I hopefully will find a decent position) or I give up a job that pays great but is otherwise not where I want to be. The only thing keeping me here is the money.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #24

Nah Id only go back to work for 200k a month..
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #25

Quote:
The only thing keeping me here is the money.
If that's the case, stay and see what will happen. You may later decide that the pain of living apart is not worth it. Many couples maintains a good relationship at long distance. For example, our new VP moves here from Santa Barbara for career advancement, but his family stays behind. Their relationship remains strong according to him.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

As long as it wasn't illegal/immoral, for $100K/month I'd stick it out until I couldn't stand it anymore or my nest egg reached $5M whichever came first. Contrary to the other thread, $5M qualifies as very wealthy/rich to me...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'd stay until my employers came to their senses.

As regards living apart from your Sweetie--you might be able to get some pretty decent temps with that kind of income at your disposal.

Ha
Old 03-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Contrary to the other thread, $5M qualifies as very wealthy/rich to me...
What is the other thread? $5 mil is rich.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
What is the other thread? $5 mil is rich.
Evidently it takes $25M to qualify as rich today...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ite-33918.html

Old 03-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you are in a very high-earning job, and will never again earn anywhere close to this much money, how long do you stay? Assume that you no longer enjoy your job but do not detest it, and that you already are FI. All thoughts welcome! Thanks.
Very interesting post. I face this exact thing right now. Although my base pay is about $70,000 right now, additional benefits put me over $100,000. This is my peak salary to date. But I detest my job and many of the folks I work with. I probably just need to find my niche - a job that I enjoy. Right now, I'm not there.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

hoping, Maybe you should look for a new job at the new location for a given time period and then move there anyway even if you haven't found a job you want. Maybe 9 months is a good time period. Ultimately, it sounds like its more important to move to where you want to settle. Let a new employer pay for the move and for selling your old house. Of course, maybe your DH's employer has already done that. I've made the kind of move you're talking about and it worked out, but I found it a lot harder to live apart than I expected.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Very interesting post. I face this exact thing right now. Although my base pay is about $70,000 right now, additional benefits put me over $100,000. This is my peak salary to date. But I detest my job and many of the folks I work with. I probably just need to find my niche - a job that I enjoy. Right now, I'm not there.
You realize the OP said $100K per month. I could overlook a lot of folks I detest at that income...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas proud,

What do you consider a high enough net worth so that this is "pocket change"?
I think it would be where you would not think to much about it... like $50 to $100 mill.... if you had THAT much then 1 more is ho hum...

But at say $10 mill, it is still a significant part of your net worth...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Texas Proud

What do you consider "'old' where it is really taking away some of my final years"?
Wow... got two questions on my one post... this must be a record!!!

If I was 70 for sure... I would not want to work no matter how much they offered... enjoy my life...

Probably if I was FI, it would be around 60... I would really want to be doing other stuff then... but MIGHT work one more year for a million plus...

Grey in the middle...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting what some people want or need to have enough....

I was talking to one of my friends the other day... his DW is making the big dough... (he used to be, but is now more a Mr. Mom)...

Her company is going to force them to move... and he can sell his house for about $700K which is a $500K gain... and just her stock options are worth over $2 mill... don't know how much money they have, but would think it would be more than the stock options....

Still, they both are 'driven' and want more... I just don't know what for...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You realize the OP said $100K per month. I could overlook a lot of folks I detest at that income...
Holy Shmoly! I didn't pick up on that. Need to start paying attention.

Nevermind.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Evidently it takes $25M to qualify as rich today...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ite-33918.html
Thanks. Soon the bar will be raised to $50M.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It is interesting what some people want or need to have enough....
This is a classical issue: we never have enough since we think all the happiness or security comes from money but fail to realize that we’re too stressed out (from working so hard) to enjoy the material benefits.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Job is highly stressful, not very fulfilling; working conditions are fine; colleagues are fine. My health is fine; DH wants to keep working, at least for now; he is a doctor and will earn 200-300k per year. I could get a new job for 80-100K a year that may be a better fit for me. We have approx $4.5 million saved so far.
I would take it to the house. In fact I did, with a lot less.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Job is highly stressful, not very fulfilling; working conditions are fine; colleagues are fine. My health is fine; DH wants to keep working, at least for now; he is a doctor and will earn 200-300k per year. I could get a new job for 80-100K a year that may be a better fit for me. We have approx $4.5 million saved so far.

Hmmmm, notwithstanding the great comment and empathy given so far, to me this is a no-brainer!

You are already FI and then some, $4.5 mill means that you (as a couple) are set for the rest of your lives.

Since you say that the $100k/month gig is both stressful and unfulfilling, and you don't 'have' to earn the income, then don't do it! Go for the lesser $'s on something that would 'be a better fit' for you.

Between the two of you you would still be earning in the vicinity of $300k-$400k per annum for as long as you want to work. Stay together in the new environment, be unstressed and happy

What's the problem again?

Just my take.