Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Texas proud, I have floated that idea, but DH is convinced that we are both too young to retire outright and that I will not be happy if I am not busy doing something challenging. So our plan was to figure out what to do workwise for the next 5-10 years, try to find jobs we like in a place we want to be, and let the nest egg continue to grow.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Hoping, I don't know what you do to earn $100K per month, unless you are the CEO of a Fortune 500 company or a successful drug smuggler.
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoping View Post
My income has not always been this high. For many years, it was much lower. Only the last 2-3 years have been in this range.
Hoping, are there large risks and/or liabilities associated with your current occupation?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really. Just a lot of stress and aggravation.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas proud, I have floated that idea, but DH is convinced that we are both too young to retire outright and that I will not be happy if I am not busy doing something challenging. So our plan was to figure out what to do workwise for the next 5-10 years, try to find jobs we like in a place we want to be, and let the nest egg continue to grow.
Is he right?

As for the other.... to me I would stay if my DW was making what you are making... I have a friend who has become the house husband and doing consulting work since she has 'grown' in her career faster than him (and he was a high paid controller before being let go)...

Seems that you DH is the one causing the problem insisting on moving when it seems that it is not in your best interest...

Again... you working 3 years would set you both for life... even with the hassles... and you don't make $1.2 mill without having SOME hassles .. stress and aggravation or you would not be making that amount...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Is he right?

As for the other.... to me I would stay if my DW was making what you are making... I have a friend who has become the house husband and doing consulting work since she has 'grown' in her career faster than him (and he was a high paid controller before being let go)...

Seems that you DH is the one causing the problem insisting on moving when it seems that it is not in your best interest...

Again... you working 3 years would set you both for life... even with the hassles... and you don't make $1.2 mill without having SOME hassles .. stress and aggravation or you would not be making that amount...
Maybe DH WANTS to be the breadwinner??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Texas Proud, why 3 more years? When is enough enough? We are not extravagent people. I can't see why we need more than $5 million in savings, esp. if we are not going to be touching that money for a few more years.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas Proud, why 3 more years? When is enough enough? We are not extravagent people. I can't see why we need more than $5 million in savings, esp. if we are not going to be touching that money for a few more years.
Can one really be this indecisive and still get someone to pay her $1.2mm/yr?

Like you pointed out, you can retire if you want to, work if you want to. So why not pick a door?

Ha
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Like you pointed out, you can retire if you want to, work if you want to. So why not pick a door?

Ha

The man has a point.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is why I asked if your DH had a point about you working... do you have to And then why does you DH have to work? If you have enough, then both of you should call it quits and retire... no hard decision...

And if you do have 'enough' right now.. then why are you working at all, even for the money...

BUT, the extra $3 mill gives you a LOT of cushion.... you can do more charity work or 'splurge' a bit...

I would much rather have the extra cushion..... and I will tell you that 3 years can go by quickly... I was working away from home for 3 years and it flew by.... I did travel back and forth to visit friends and family, but it was a fun experience...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:

Ha
I'm not sure.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Ha
yes. no. yes. no. yes. no..
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #72

100K per month

I just wanna know when that job becomes vacant so I can apply for it! I'm 50, so I only want to work about a year, maybe 18 months and then one of you other folks can have it!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #73

It's a complex question, but I suppose I am in a similar position right now. We can RE now and be fairly comfortable, having an income of $60K/year according to the calculators (incl. FIRECALC).

However, if I work for 2 more years I will get the DB pension and Health insurance from 55 onwards. If I quit now, I have to draw on the next egg at 5% for 9 years until pension starts and I'll be foregoing the health insurance.

All in all, working another 23 months is worth a cool $1M. (I earn over $200k/year and pension at 55 will be $60k/year).

My job since January is no longer super stressful (still pretty stressful) and business travel has dropped dramatically so, it is tolerable and I have decided to stick it out for the next 23 months.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

DH wants to work (or so he says). His work is very meaningful, since he is trying to help people who are sick. I've been on the verge of burnout, although the prospect of leaving has woken me up a bit. So, apologies for all of the saga, but this is not an easy decision for me. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DH wants to work (or so he says). His work is very meaningful, since he is trying to help people who are sick. I've been on the verge of burnout, although the prospect of leaving has woken me up a bit. So, apologies for all of the saga, but this is not an easy decision for me. Thanks for the advice!
it is funny to me... but most of the people who are in the 'burnout' phase are the cause of their burnout... change your attitude and you will not be in this situation...

What will they do if you 'change' how you view things? Who is holding the gun to your head to force you to do the things you hate? You will find out that most managers are not the cause... you are... and if they REALLY are, just ignore them... that is what I did and my attitude changed a lot...

Then again, I am unemployed right now, but it is more of a very young manager who can not handle an older much more experienced person that speaks up when they have stupid ideas.... such as moving almost everything to India....

STILL, for the money you are talking about.... I can handle a lot of crappy people and some 'stress' and some late nights.... smiling all the way when I got my check... again.... it would be because I would KNOW that I had a date I was leaving... kind of like a prison sentence.... you learn to live the life knowing it will be better when the sentence is over... but enjoy TODAY as it is...

Good luck either way...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a totally separate line of thought that I have not seen addressed. I may be way off - but you might consider what, if any part of your reluctance to leave your current position could stem from not wanting to become the minor bread winner.

In the beginning of our marriage I was the major bread winner for our family. When I chose to cut back at work and raise kids the mental switch I felt that involved a loss of power & control shocked me. The move to trusting his income (and perhaps him ) over mine was a major adjustment. I had to deal with more mental issues with the income shift than I had in making the commitment to marry. (This would definitely have been mitigated however by a huge financial cushion- we had none . ) Feelings are not good or bad - they just are and acknowledging them is the first step to dealing with them .
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

GLM, you make an excellent point. This is compounded by the fact that I have been the one with a steady job and reliable income for 15+ years, while he has not. So that adds to the stress of the decision.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
GLM, you make an excellent point. This is compounded by the fact that I have been the one with a steady job and reliable income for 15+ years, while he has not. So that adds to the stress of the decision.
But... you say you are financial independent and do not need a job.... so that means having a steady job and income is irrelevant in the decision... maybe it is emotionally, but not financially...

And if he has never had a reliable income... then why not work another year and put that extra mill in savings and call it a day....

As someone pointed out, you making so much without the ability to make this easy of a decision seems strange... (well, easy financially... who knows how good your marriage is and if there is power struggles or if there is something else lurking in the back of your head... like what if we split up, could we both make it... can I get this high wages back.... all sorts of things...)...

Again... good luck...
Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everyone. Update is that DH and I have had some heart-to-heart discussions. I am planning to stay put for a few more months while he decides how he likes new job and new location. In the meantime, I am exploring the options in new location and have lined up a few interviews. So, thanks again for all of the advice!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #80

Good Luck hoping!

DD