If giving americans 600 dollars a piece keeps us out of a recession...

This "stimulus package" will stimulate China's economy more than our own. I happen to agree with the OP that IF government is going to hand out $150B it doesn't have to 'stimulate' the domestic economy, public works projects and infrastructure investments are a much better way to spend it. We'd have a safer, stronger infrastructure and keep a lot more people employed. And the money stays here rather than half of it going to China.

Prove to me that 50% of the money being given to Americans is going to go to China, stats please...............;)

Did you know 50% of all stats are made up on the spot. ;)
I thought I was the only one that did that.

I would bet that most of the rebate money will go to Plasma or LCD TVs. Soon TV signals will be going digital, so people will take the opportunity to upgrade. Can't really buy much else with 600 to 1200 bucks.

I think its closer to 93.2%.

Since everything I've bought in the last 2 weeks had "made in china" stamped on it, and even a bunch of my food was sent to china for processing and then returned here...I'd be pretty unsurprised if our gimme money doesnt turn into either a happy time for the chinese economy through purchases of their products, or investments when they buy treasuries that are floated to pay for the additional bit of deficit spending to fund the rebates...

Dobbs: Our leaders have squandered our wealth - CNN.com

from the mouth of Dobbs
"The truth is that consumers spend most of their money on foreign imports, and any stimulus package probably would be stimulating foreign economies rather than our own. Imports, for example, account for 92 percent of our non-athletic footwear, 92 percent of audio video equipment, 89 percent of our luggage and 73 percent of power tools."

Dobbs: Our leaders have squandered our wealth - CNN.com

from the mouth of Dobbs
"The truth is that consumers spend most of their money on foreign imports, and any stimulus package probably would be stimulating foreign economies rather than our own. Imports, for example, account for 92 percent of our non-athletic footwear, 92 percent of audio video equipment, 89 percent of our luggage and 73 percent of power tools."

Well what do we buy that is made in america?? Even New Balance running shoes are made in Vietnam.

Its all BS the well americans spend it on imports, well no kidding, we make NOTHING!! Business went to the cheapest place to make anything.

Well what do we buy that is made in america??

Go buy a John Deere or some software (the CDs are manufactured elsewhere I'm sure, but the brain capital is here). Heck, I'd be a nice Cat back-hoe would look nice in the driveway. Ever thought about one of those?

I think that we are losing sight of the fact that while most of the 'stuff' is made in China, India, Vietnam, ...etc. It is bought in the local Wal-mart, Target, ...even Tiffanys. This provides jobs for the workers and the support infrastructure behind it (truckers, longshoremen, police, fire, govt, schools, restaurants, road builders, electricians, plumbers, farmers, ... etc.). It's been quite a while since we had massive cities filled with factories and assembly lines.
The American jobs seem to be from Honda, Toyota, BMW, ...etc. So if you want to buy American, ....there you go.
Where the heck have you all been for the last 20 years?

I can't resist. Spend the rebate on a product made in the USA! ( megacorp of family member) I think the trees are home grown too.

We have met the enemy, and it is us...

Our manufacturing has been outsourced to countries with cheap labor, but actually manufacturing jobs have been growing in the custom and technical markets.

I have a client that retired from a local company that makes BIG gears for large machinery. There are two other companies in the WORLD that do the same thing, one in Sweden and one in Japan. They can't KEEP UP with the demand. NOONE in their industry will buy a gear from China, Korea, or anywhere else the cheap labor is, they don't TRUST the quality control or tolerances behind it............

Back
Top Bottom