Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I were emporer, none of this would exist. Given our actual political system, this exists and will increase until everything finally breaks.

When social democracies really got going in Europe after WW2, there was considerable attitudinal homogeneity in the populations, and most of them shared similar moral and ethical foundations. I remember reading that Scandinavian socialism has gone along relatively well for so long because it runs on the leftover vapors of Lutheranism. The people being helped made mightly efforts, and were generally able to pull themslves up fairly quickly. Their pride/embarrassment required that.

None of this is true anymore. The paying class is entirely divorced from the payee class. In many cases, they don't even share a language, let alone cultural assumptions. To make mattters worse, there is a large professional class of mostly government workers whose job it is to be sure that there will always be a growing supply of "clients".
Ah! At last, a "kind of thoughtful response or meaningful dialogue."
__________________

__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,128
We can always count on Ha for that.
__________________

__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
NotMyFault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I were emporer, none of this would exist. Given our actual political system, this exists and will increase until everything finally breaks.

When social democracies really got going in Europe after WW2, there was considerable attitudinal homogeneity in the populations, and most of them shared similar moral and ethical foundations. I remember reading that Scandinavian socialism has gone along relatively well for so long because it runs on the leftover vapors of Lutheranism. The people being helped made mightly efforts, and were generally able to pull themslves up fairly quickly. Their pride/embarrassment required that.

None of this is true anymore. The paying class is entirely divorced from the payee class. In many cases, they don't even share a language, let alone cultural assumptions. To make mattters worse, there is a large professional class of mostly government workers whose job it is to be sure that there will always be a growing supply of "clients".

Regard it an weep.

Ha
Ha,
What do you think will be the mechanism by which everything breaks? Inability of government to print more money, run away inflation, the inability of the few to produce enough goods and services for the many, or something else? I would personally suspect the inability of the few to provide enough goods and services for the many. I am only 45 so the country has been being destroyed by debt my entire life. I have become numb to it. It has never affected me personally that I can tell. I used to think there was a limit to the amount of money the government can print but I am starting to doubt it. It seems like no one cares as long as the products keep flowing and the people that are producing get to live better that the ones that aren't. Not saying it won't all come crashing down one day. Just wondering what people think the acute cause will be.
__________________
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyFault View Post
Ha,
What do you think will be the mechanism by which everything breaks? Inability of government to print more money, run away inflation, the inability of the few to produce enough goods and services for the many, or something else? I would personally suspect the inability of the few to provide enough goods and services for the many. I am only 45 so the country has been being destroyed by debt my entire life. I have become numb to it. It has never affected me personally that I can tell. I used to think there was a limit to the amount of money the government can print but I am starting to doubt it. It seems like no one cares as long as the products keep flowing and the people that are producing get to live better that the ones that aren't. Not saying it won't all come crashing down one day. Just wondering what people think the acute cause will be.
I don't really know. It is likely just based on a distrust of taking the easy way. Generations of nursery rhymes and fables seem to teach this, and I think there is a reason that they do.

But it is somehat like a bridge collapse. Very hard to tell what will cause that bridge to collapse, or when it will collapse, but often much easier to see that it is vulnerable. The whole science of criticality bears. You can make a sand pile higher and higher, but every pile has its limits, and then down it comes.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Here is Nassim Taleb, giving an opinion similar to mine about the big policy mistakes being made. He is focusing on finance and government, and moral hazard.

Taleb: Middle Class Worse Off Than 5 Years Ago: Video - Bloomberg


Clip Syndicate Video: Taleb: I'm Forced to Buy Stocks, Afraid of Bonds=
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 127
I read an article that listed the happiest people in the world.Scandinavian countries on top.New Zealand etc.What I noticed is the lack of diversity in these happy countries.God forbid,can someone might come to the conclusion that to much diversity is not good for you.Like taking to many vitamins or drinking to much milk can be counter productive.U.S. wealthiest country on earth came in something like 11th place in the poll.Just an observation.
__________________
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
U.S. wealthiest country on earth came in something like 11th place in the poll.Just an observation.
If you think of how many countries there are in the world, coming in at #11 still ain't shabby
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
I read an article that listed the happiest people in the world.Scandinavian countries on top.New Zealand etc.What I noticed is the lack of diversity in these happy countries.God forbid,can someone might come to the conclusion that to much diversity is not good for you.Like taking to many vitamins or drinking to much milk can be counter productive.U.S. wealthiest country on earth came in something like 11th place in the poll.Just an observation.
Actually New Zealand & Australia which were in the top 5 are quite diverse.
Talk about drawing a long bow.
Perhaps closeness to the North or South pole is a key determinant of happiness
__________________
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 127
That explains it.That"s why Santa and his elves are the happiest folks on the planet.
__________________

__________________
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.