Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If I had it to do all over
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had it to do all over

I would, definitely, take this route. (Of course, back then an idea like this was soooo wrong... so woe is me.)

My Poorest Friend Is One Of The Richest People I Know

Quote:
With $4,800, I’m set for the next four months, easy!” Jaabir told me. With Jaabir’s daughter going to public school, free public tennis courts all around the city, and $350 a month for his portion of rent, there’s no doubt Jaabir has it made. He makes money when he needs to make money. Any more time spent working is a waste.
Oh! Wait... that's pretty close to how I did do it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable with Jaabir's approach. He's basically living off the "system" and as long as the number of folks doing this is relatively small everything is honky dory. If Jaabir's approach becomes the tune that most people play say goodbye to all the freebies.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I would, definitely, take this route. (Of course, back then an idea like this was soooo wrong... so woe is me.)

My Poorest Friend Is One Of The Richest People I Know

Oh! Wait... that's pretty close to how I did do it.
What's does Jaabir do when he can't find a job and has no SS ? Seems like a pretty irresponsible way to live IMO
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

How does he pay for healthcare?

$1200 for a rent controlled apt in San Francisco? I'd be so pissed if I was the landlord.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know a couple of people like that and they joke around that someday they will just move in with me. Oh.....makes me madder than a hornet when they say that but I just laugh and say I don't think so.

My blood pressure's up just thinking about it.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like the bums and con artists I used to meet at at arcade when I was in my teen's during the 80's. There's no way I can live like that wondering if I'm going to be on the street the next day. But Jaabir probably doesn't mind. And if he get kicked out of his rent controlled apartment, he would probably sue his landlord for 2 years of "free" income.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

$1200 for a rent controlled apt in San Francisco? I'd be so pissed if I was the landlord.
I think he said he lives in the projects. Try to raise your children in the projects and get them to age 18 alive and not pregnant.

The only survivable government subsidized housing in the US is for older people. Mostly, they are too old to cause much trouble. Althouigh recently in one of these developments near here one old guy cut up another old guy with a butcher knife.

My girfriend recently moved out of a building that 5 years ago when she moved there was 100% market rate. The managers must have had some vacancies and started taking section 8 renters. The building is down to about 4/38 or so units that are still market rent, and cleanliness and general order have gone down the tubes.

My brother once told me he'd prefer living in a coat closet in a good neighborhood to a large apartment in a bad one, and I am beginning to see his point.

Ha
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

San Francisco affords free healthcare for low income resident.
Know one couple with net worth over $3 million and paying $800 a month for a $4k a month market rate apartment in Nob Hill
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

His life sounds like it would be fun...for about two weeks. No thanks.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think he said he lives in the projects. Try to raise your children in the projects and get them to age 18 alive and not pregnant.
I've never heard of the projects in San Francisco so I looked it up and looks just terrible:

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project - SFGate
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've never heard of the projects in San Francisco so I looked it up and looks just terrible:

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project - SFGate
I sometimes find myself on the train to Sunnydale and the crowd can be rough.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #12

He lives in his Mom's rent controlled apartment. He has no money and cannot afford an occasional new can of tennis balls. His biggest income is from scalping iPhones. No savings, no security, and almost no income so he qualifies for every do good subsidized low income program San Francisco can provide. No money to pursue his "dream" of getting into tennis professionally, although the bar is only $500. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and no way I could live with that degree of insecurity. Maybe he's happy living like that, but I sure would not be.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
gone traveling

What I found equally if not more disturbing were the number of comments at the bottom of the article supporting and praising this lifestyle.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

<chuckle>

But on the serious side... he's happy.

And on another note, there are those who consider ER in the same category.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable with Jaabir's approach. He's basically living off the "system" and as long as the number of folks doing this is relatively small everything is honky dory. If Jaabir's approach becomes the tune that most people play say goodbye to all the freebies.
+1M, except I sometimes doubt if society will cut down on those freebies.

He's what we used to call a "bum". Refuses to invest the $500 to get his cert as tennis pro...even when he had the $$ from selling those iPhones.
If too many in society take that path the society starts to crumble. Its like the old joke about Greece's most valuable export.......working Greeks
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Definitely NOT a role model we want our youth to emulate.

While it is one thing to live to work, at the same time people need to support themselves. This guy seems like he is just dependent on society to provide for him.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #17

The good news is Jaabir’s daughter will get a lot of aid for college. This guy's lack of income would be great on the FAFSA.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

His child goes to public school.He pays no income tax or property tax.No medical insurance ?People in projects can leave their lights on and air conditioners on 24/7.No electric bill, they pay their set rent.No,I"m not jealous.I just find it interesting.I took E.R. and some look at me funny,even though I use to work 70hr. weeks and alot of weekends.I now pay for my own healthcare.Reguardless I am grateful I was able to do this.No I would never want to be this guy.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So this is what America has become? A country where we celebrate a guy who lives in the projects but has the time to play tennis and gamble in Vegas while picking up extra cash scalping phones? Charming. My hero!

Something tells me that between the mother, brother, wife and daughter there's more than one EBT card floating around and free HC for all.

But hey! Those evil rich people are footing the bill, so I guess that's 'fair'. What happened to this country?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
The good news is Jaabir’s daughter will get a lot of aid for college. This guy's lack of income would be great on the FAFSA.
Why on God's earth would she want to go to college when Dad is so admired and obviously has it all figured out?
With a degree there'd be expectations to get a job, pay taxes and support the ever growing number of gimmie people. "No thanks, that's for losers...I'll just go play tennis with my dad"