Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was lucky to have any clothes growing up.

Had a Mom that did not enjoy shopping with or for her 4 children. Did not hurt any of us one bit.

Instead...she started and grew her own business. I'd say more than a fair trade off..

sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I was lucky to have any clothes growing up.
Cue the Four Yorkshiremen!

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
Good One!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
gone traveling
When I was growing up, Mom didn't make us wear second hand clothes. If we didn't like what she brought home (yard sales, hand-me-downs from cousins, etc, thrift stores) , we were free to go earn the money buy our own.

When I was 14, I decided I'd rather work so I could wear bell -bottom Levi's and flannel shirts to high school rather than dress like my Uncle Frank the banker- (high-end mens store plaid polyester pants, turtleneck sweater...)

Mom never had to buy any of us kids clothes (except underwear and socks) after about age 15- Her plan worked perfectly.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Uniforms, Slacks and sometimes white shirt and tie. Girls HATED their uniforms...My first job was to buy clothes from the seconds shop.

When my daughter was old enough, we sent her shopping for her clothes. She spent days scouring the stores for the best deals and the best fashions. Poor George yelped in pain from being pinched so hard.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #26
Why not? Kids outgrow their stuff quickly and you find a lot in mint or hardly used condition on yard sales. As long as it can be washed easily I would take what I or the kids like.
We do not have kids, but I saw all of my nephews /nieces grow up in rotated clothes or flea market treasures. And they all come from families with good income.

My SIL has great fun to hunt on the flea markets for stuff to be used by her grandchildren. And the parents (mother is one of the nieces that grew up in 2nd hand clothes) appreciate.
It is a good idea to teach kids early that the idea of "I deserve only new stuff" is nothing but a marketing tool and that those people without prejudice who dare to resist the marketing stuff have benefits.
chris2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #27
I am slightly surprised at the OP, given the nature of this forum. Those of us who LBYM all do so in our own way. $160K/year probably leaves the average family about $5K/month after taxes, mortgage, car payments, and utilities. I know people who spend $1K/month on clothes for the family. If you think that cars depreciate fast, you haven't tried getting second-hand value out of clothes.
Age 55, retired July 1, 2012; DW is 59 and working for 4 more years. Current portfolio is 1950K split 50 stocks/20 bonds/30 cash. Renting house, no debts.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I see nothing wrong with it. Not like they are wearing rags!

The other end of life American Style is spend it all on any and everything... with parents saving nothing for themselves.

American Boomer parents, on average, have been fiscal fools... which is one of the major reasons middle class boomers will not be able to afford to retire!

In these people's specific case, they have 5 kids (raised 3 already). Supporting 7 people (5 till adulthood) in the US can be very expensive.

So.... what does the average middle class American family seem to do?? IOW... life American Style!

I read reports in 2009 and 2010 that indicated that the average cost of raising a kid till 18 years old was $250k to $286k in the US. If parents then pays for college and (being conservative the kids complete it in 4 years) that cost could be upwards to $100k per student for tuition and living expense (4 years)... could be more or less depending on the school and living arrangements.

Let's take the lower cost of raising 5 x $250k = $1.25M. Cost of college 5 x $100k = $500k Total = $1.75M after tax money!!!

ok... how much is that a year assuming they graduate at 22 years old... which rarely happens. Well $1.75M/22 = $79.5k/ yr on average. Well what do they have to earn gross? let's assume a 25% cost of working (taxes, commute, etc). That is $106k/yr Not sure if that cost of raising includes part of the mortgage, transportation, etc (common family costs) for 22 years... but they have gross left $54k to pay for other needs and prepare for retirement and the parents cost of living.

Now you could dispute those figures... but no one will dispute the fact that raising children and getting them off onto life with a solid economic footing is expensive.

Beside these people adopted some of those kids.

Those 2nd hand clothes don't look so stingy after all does it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...
For many, many years my kids got hand-me-down clothes from friends of ours who had kids that were just a year or so older than them. They basically never had any new clothes of their own. My son even wore hand-me shoes from his older sister. Why pay for shoes when the kids go barefoot 99% of the time?

Nowadays, both teenagers are big enough to wear hand-me-down clothes from their parents.

But we've never had to go to garage sales to buy clothes. It's too expensive. Free is better.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets
Does it really have to be all or nothing either way? Maybe some nice new clothes and some older second hand clothes would be appropriate?
Fshnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #31
Before they retired early this year, my Mom and stepdad were probably making around $180K per year. Now, I'm 41, long since grown and out of the house, so their days of having to clothe me are long since gone.

Still, all through the year, my Mom would shop the clearance racks at various stores, and pick up clothes to wrap up and give me for Christmas. Mom's taste can be hit or miss. Ages ago though, I learned to just be quiet, say thank you and "you shouldn't have", and then, if it's something I know I won't wear, either give it to a friend, or put it in the pile to donate.

Sometimes though, what she gets is a success. I'm wearing a polo-style shirt right now that she got me for Christmas a few years ago.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets
Her tactics are the type that enabled many here to retire much earlier than normal. When my grandkids come there are a bunch of toys/bikes/books for them that cost pennies on the dollar and they could care less. I see no difference from buying a used house,boat, RV or car- let someone else take the depreciation.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #33
With our kids, they had both used/hand me downs mixed with new. Given the rapid change in sizes during the growth years, I see nothing wrong with this.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets
My daughter is way above the 160k income bracket, and I doubt other than presents that her girls have any new clothes. She trades them back and forth with her friends , and is a thrift store expert. It is her hobby. The downside is she has too many boxes and bags of clothes everywhere. The girls are toddlers, and have no say, so we will see how this pans out as they get older.

Really, I wish I'd known it was an option when I was younger. My kids wore
cheap clothes from the sales racks , thrift stores are a far better option.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #35
I just browsed through Miser Mom's blog and I love it. Lots of ideas and great humor. Look at this
Miser Mom: A tribute to a miser dad
chris2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...
DW usually buy stuff for the kids at outlets, but we also swap with friends and family for kid clothes. They grow out of stuff so fast it still looks new most of the time.

I should really start checking out thrift and consignment stores.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Not surprised in the least that someone who writes a blog called "Miser Mom" is talking about how she saves money. Duh--what did you expect her to write about in her blog--bargains at Tiffany?
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #38
Our kids had a mixture of new and hand-me-downs. Our son didn't seem to mind that some of his hand-me-downs came from his sister.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hand me down clothes.jpg (181.7 KB, 7 views)
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...
My sister did it... went to resale shops all the time...

Her kids are grown and on their own and still go to a few...

To me, the problem is that the cost at resale here are not that great... IOW, I could not buy anywhere near as much as she bought for $18... the savings is in th 20% range so we do the Ross and other cheap store and call it a day...

OR, wait for the sale at JC Penney or somewhere else..

I will give you the best deal I every got... It was Holloween time and we went to Old Navy... they gave out a $5 off coupon at the front door to everybody... so wife, 2 kids and me have $20 to spend... we find Holloween outfit for the young one on sale for $5 (regularly $20), a jacket for the older one that cost $10 (regularly $40) and then T shirt with Old Navy and the year on them on sale for $1 each... we take a couple of them to the register and the girl said she could not take the last coupon since we did not buy enough... so, back to pick up a few more $1 T shirts to have $20 worth of clothes... and walk out paying nothing... that was 2008 and we are still wearing those T shirts...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
gone traveling
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
How do you know they have a household income of 160k? Her kids seem old enough that if they didn't want yardsale clothes they could likely get a job and buy their own.
It was referenced by another website in which the woman was described as having that income. Obviously, there must be some reference to her income on her website, but unfortunately I could not find it.

BTW, she's got all kinds of cheapskate posts. There was one where she talked about saving money with cold showers!

swampwiz is offline   Reply With Quote