Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If you (& spouse) made $160K/yr, would you force your kids to wear 2nd hand clothes?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
gone traveling

If you (& spouse) made $160K/yr, would you force your kids to wear 2nd hand clothes?

Evidently, this cheapskate mother does ...

Miser Mom: Yard Sale Finds
swampwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would say this mom's behavior is a bit over the top...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had to wear second hand clothes when growing up.

I would have wished otherwise but it wasn't up to me. However, it didn't kill me. Junior high was no picnic.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wearing second-hand clothing seems perfectly reasonable to me. Especially for children, who outgrow their clothes so fast. Just because you can afford to pay retail doesn't mean you should.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Administrator

I see nothing wrong with it; I wore plenty of second-hand clothes as a kid. A few wears and washes and you won't be able to tell the difference from something purchased new. Kids outgrow and/or destroy clothes pretty quickly. I'd rather save money to pay for college later than buy new clothes when they're young.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nothing wrong with hand me down clothes, but it helps if your next older sibling is the same sex.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
If you (& spouse) made $160K/yr, would you force your kids to wear 2nd hand clothes?[/url]
Oh, please, our daughter wouldn't be forced to wear second-hand clothes. If she didn't like what was available at Goodwill & garage sales then she was free to save her allowance (or do jobs around the house) and go buy her own clothes.

She didn't even know there were stores more expensive than Ross Dress For Less until she passed her driver's test.

When she was a teen she earned a clothing allowance: twice a year. It had to cover both her clothing and her toiletries, and it had to last for six months. The joke was that she could look really good or smell really nice, but probably not both at the same time.

I have to admit that lately I've shopped the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for most of my t-shirts, because their "5 for $20" deals have been beating out Goodwill's selection.

This woman is not only innoculating her kids against affluenza, she's teaching them vital shopping survival skills.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nothing wrong with hand me down clothes, but it helps if your next older sibling is the same sex.
I have two older brothers (only), and the little boy my age across the street had two older sisters. So, you guessed it. He wore my brothers' old clothes, and I wore his sisters' old clothes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

I wore second hand clothes from the thrift shop and sometimes yardsales. My kids had some clothes from yard sales. We didn't have to shop the yardsales for the kids but we did look around on Saturday mornings for castoff items in great shape for our home, like bookshelves and dressers. Sometimes we would buy something for the kids if it was in near-unused condition. Of course, when our kids were small we didn't make 160k. On the other hand, this mother says her kids are extremely rough on clothing. If that were the case, I probably would have shopped yardsales and thrift shops for the kids, since after one or two wearings the new clothes would look the same or worse than gently used yardsale stock.

R
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #10

As a kid growing up in the early 40's I wore a lot of second hand clothes. I was the only child until sister and brother came along and they certainly didn't do me any good as far as clothes went. Mom knew some lady in my home town that had a son couple years older than me and I got a lot of his hand-me-downs. That is the way you grew up in the midwest farm country during the war years. I think it stayed with me throughout the years and has made me a saver. I still try not to waste anything. I know things are different today and kids have more, but I don't think it gives them a good scence of direction or values.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I retired, I don't see the value of wearing designer or name brand clothing. I have worn second hand clothes for a long time ( casual stuff like shorts and T shirts ), and they fit just as well, and look almost as good, at a fraction of the price.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
Evidently, this cheapskate mother does ...

Miser Mom: Yard Sale Finds
How do you know they have a household income of 160k? Her kids seem old enough that if they didn't want yardsale clothes they could likely get a job and buy their own.
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #13

I should have mentioned in my last post that I frequent a consignment shop. It's one of the best I've ever seen and it's for "Just Men". That is it's name, "Just Men". I would never go shopping for men's clothes without checking out this place first. Nothing but the best, lot of new stuff, everything must be freshly cleaned and pressed. Everything is displayed beautifully. I can afford new, but it would be a waste of money to buy new when stuff like this is available.

Check out your local areas for consignment shops.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #14

her first item was 11 pair of long sleeved shirts, school uniform?
How is a shirt a pair?

$18 for the whole haul is really cheap, around here shirts are 2 or 3bucks apiece.I can sometimes find things at Macys that are the same price range as the thrift shop.

With some kids you can wash and fold things then stick them in their room-they won't know if they are new or not in a months time.

I
No, our household income was not that high but I often still wonder where the money went.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our household falls in the "$160k" income range. Our kids occasionally wear yard sale clothes. For their first few years of life the majority of clothes were hand me downs from friends of ours or their cousins.

They are just clothes. Sometimes you can get brand new clothes (tags still attached) at the thrift store or yard sales.

We would probably buy more yard sale clothes except the time required to acquire the clothes outweighs the convenience of paying "full" price at walmart where many kids clothing items are $3-7 (occasionally $10) and the size, color, and style varieties are better.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with 2nd hand?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #17

My sister is 3 years older and my mom used to buy us matching dresses when we were young. I'd have my own until I grew out of it and then I'd have my sister's. This worked until we developed our own tastes. My sister turned into a fashion princess (name brands, current styles and trends) and I did not (jeans and a polo shirt).

She had two sons a few years before I had two sons and we really made that work! My kids had plenty of name brand hand me downs from their cousins until about age 8 or 9 when the cousins would wear things long enough that they were pretty worn out when they were done with them. It was very helpful in the early years.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I would make them wear 3rd and 4th hand clothing, often made of hair, if hair clothing were available in my neighborhood. Or I might make them travel by bus or bicycle to another part of town where it could be found, and pay for it with their earnings from collecting aluminum cans.

Ha
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #19

I love garage/yard sales. To me they are like a free (unless I buy something) college course in advanced sociology, or perhaps it's the peeping tom in me.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sure, as kids we wore lots of second hand or pre-used clothing, but by this time in our advanced ages and net worth's we feel it is important to dress like millionaires. The good thing is that, by definition, we do.

Recently we needed a bunch of cleaning rags for the apartment cleaners. Went to the main Goodwill and filled a cart with 37 pounds of towels from the bins (wanted to get over 25# to get the cost down to 89 cents/pound). For about $33 we got a massive stack of towels to cut up. Also kept three really nice Egyptian cotton towels, a king sized lightweight blanket for summer use, a pair of Old Navy pants for me, several T-shirts, the gal got several sweaters including a new petite "Christopher & Banks" and a hoodie out of the 37# of fabric materials.

I like shopping when you just toss things in the pile that look likely, then put them in the goodwill bag and take a tax deduction if they don't suit. Good for Miser Mom.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote