Join Early Retirement Today

If you could recommend 1 book for this situation...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you could recommend 1 book for this situation...

Long long time reader (and very occasional poster)...

Wanted to get some opinions on this. Sorry if this is turning out to be long.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are a hard working couple, who have always avoided debt, budgeted well, etc. Good short-term finances for a couple just starting out. My SIL in particular has a good head on her shoulders, but has never spent any time educating herself on investments. But they've also not had a ton to invest up until this point, based on their decision to get a house and start a family soon after marriage. Recently though, my in-laws decided to make a gift to each of their daughters, which has given my B/S-IL the chance to invest for the first time.

We never talk finances (strategies or numbers) around family, and normally I wouldn't volunteer much - we figure it's up to everyone to figure out their own path. But my wife indicated my SIL wanted to talk to me at some point for advice. So I was primed for a conversation at some point.

And then my BIL asked tonight whether we invest, indicating he had just bought a few books and was thinking of starting. I broadly describe our priorities/layers of investments that we've worked on for the last decade (emergency fund, 401k/403b max, Roth, then taxable, then additional towards mortgage - all investments in index funds following our predefined allocation strategy that will adjust over time). Spent a little time talking about the rationale for passive vs. active investing.

Then I asked what books he had bought - all 3 were on day trading and/or penny stocks. Evidently he had a friend make a few hundred bucks and wanted to read up on the "opportunities". I offered very gentle criticism (if it was that easy, wouldn't everyone just do that?), and suggested he may want to look at starting with a Roth IRA at Vanguard. Then we went back to taking care of the kids and the rest of the evening.

After reflection with DW, I thought I might jot them a little email broadly outlining how we've layered our investments as an example, and send them a single book to read as a gift. From there - they can figure it out (or not).

Problem is - no idea which book. Our personal (Bogleheadish) style evolved through education (MBA), lots of reading on the internet, etc. I've actually read very little in terms of 4 Pillars, or similar books. So I'm hoping for suggestions for a book that:
  • Is short. Just something to get them started with a basic framework and direction
  • Gives some basic guidance on how to structure and investment portfolio, while also addressing the need for emergency funds, where college savings fits in relative to retirement savings, etc.
  • Outlines basic investment types (i.e. stock vs. bonds, mutual funds vs. individual stocks, active vs. passive funds)

The book doesn't really need to address living below their means, paying down debt etc. They really do a pretty decent job with that already.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
PSUgrad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here is an online book I would recommend: Investing Essentials – A Primer

Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gui.../dp/0471730335
Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

The Investor's Manifesto or The Four Pillars of Investing, both by Bernstein.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about the "Investing for Dummies" book?

Simple, and easy to understand; can be a good basic book for establishing a foundation for further education.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Bogleheads Guide to Investing, too.

It's not as comprehensive as Bernstein but it'll serve as a gateway drug.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all for the suggestions - I'll take the time to review them all and pick one out in the next day or so. Appreciate the help!
PSUgrad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns (Little Books. Big Profits)
John C. Bogle
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't beat the Bogleheads Guide to Investing for sensible advice, and the price is right too.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll second "Investor's Manifesto" by Bernstein and "Bogleheads' Guide." Also Ferri's "All About Asset Allocation."
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Coffeehouse Investor
The Book | The Coffeehouse Investor
and
The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need:
Andrew Tobias: The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with day trading? It will serve to teach them a lesson: Either they are good at it and make money or they are bad at it and lose lots of money. Either way, they learn something.

So I would tell them, "If you are good at it, quit your jobs and become full-time traders until ...."

"If you are bad at it, when you are ready, please come ask me about some other investing books that many others have found very helpful."
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

The Investment Answer, by Daniel Goldie and Gordon Murray. The subtitle "Five Key Decisions Every Investor Needs to Make", gives the contents in a nutshell. It's under a hundred pages including the index and appendices.

For the curious, the five questions are:
1. DIY or use an advisor?
2. What asset allocation (stocks vs bonds, large vs small cap, growth vs value)?
3. Invest in US only or international too?
4. Invest actively or passively?
5. Should I rebalance?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote