Join Early Retirement Today

If you had 100K, where would you invest?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

If you had 100K, where would you invest?

Would like some insights about addtional investment ideas: let's say I am ER and have a well balanced portfolio of stock/bond/cash etc based on my age. In addtion, I have some rental properties that generates about 1/4 of my ER income already. Now if I had addtional 100K cash, where should I invest in? It would be nice if it can generate income stream during my ER years - assume some moderate risks can be involved and look for 10 yrs horizon to hold the investment.
Thoughts and ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As an all individual equity investor, I would recommend a few nice income stocks - perhaps ABT, KO, MSFT, PG, WMT. This would generate about $3k/year initially, which would probably grow about 8-10% per year.

This assumes, of course, that you would be willing to accept the risks associated with a higher equity allocation.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #3

Invest it according to your current stock:bond:cash allocation unless you have some particular expenditure you are planning in 10 years.

DD
Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Invest it according to your current stock:bond:cash allocation unless you have some particular expenditure you are planning in 10 years.

DD
+1

I'd do this too. You have made a financial plan with a particular asset allocation. If $100,000 drops in your lap, I don't understand why that would cause you to change your asset allocation. Also, if you want this solely to provide income during your ER years, I don't see why it would have a time horizon of ten years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MSFT is an income stock? Who says? Money Magazine?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
MSFT is an income stock? Who says? Money Magazine?
I recently added MSFT to the short (30 or so) list of stocks I track, all of which I consider high quality stocks with decent income and dividend growth (6-10%) expected for the future. MSFT has been paying for 7+ years now, and the most recent dividend increase has convinced me of their intention to continue. Their current 2.4% yield is only slightly below the average of the stocks I track and invest in, compensated for by their expected EPS growth of 10%, on the higher end of the stocks I track.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Since you are going to retire in 2011--

I would want to make 6-8% return on my money. Therefore, I would divide $100K into 15-20 good dividend paying stocks and monitor them closely. There is no point in taking risk with 2.5% dividend, like MSFT which hasn't appreciated much in last 5 years. I would rather invest in higher dividend paying stocks, some examples being----
NLY (14% div)
PFF (7%)
KMP (6%)
PSEC (10%)
RCS (8%)
AGNC (18.9%)
Of course some of these are very risky, but so is MSFT. Compare it with AAPL which has no dividend. However, at my age I want continuous income, therefore no AAPL or MSFT.
If you have some of your favorite dividend stocks, please write about them.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I trade/hold MO, AWF, FE, DPL, AEE, DUK, T, FRO, CINF, AFG, NLY to capture dividends with a sprinkle of covered options in my fixed income assets.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I recently added MSFT to the short (30 or so) list of stocks I track, all of which I consider high quality stocks with decent income and dividend growth (6-10%) expected for the future. MSFT has been paying for 7+ years now, and the most recent dividend increase has convinced me of their intention to continue. Their current 2.4% yield is only slightly below the average of the stocks I track and invest in, compensated for by their expected EPS growth of 10%, on the higher end of the stocks I track.
Another stock you mention has clearly entered into the high quality income stock category-WMT. Their recent whopper dividend increase and their excellent record of steady, hefty increases I believe make it a core holding. US same store sales have been flat to down, but that seems likely to be a temporary blip. I am also looking at MCD, but likely I will look for a broad market pullback before going in.

Ha
Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yes WMT dividend increase of 21% was jaw dropping number for such a behemoth.
It has turned me into a believer is my next purchase just waiting for the price to go below $50.

A ~100K (not a recommendation) investment in WalMart or 2,000 shares would have seen a $480 boost in annual income, which covers the inflation increase for the $40K withdrawal over the last year.

I'd also point out that although US growth has slowed they still have huge opportunities oversees. I think one of America's under appreciated strengths is our logistical strength and skill. This means that as a country we are able to distributed goods from a manufacturer to a consumer very cheaply, with minimal payments to the middleman. UPS, Fed Ex, and the US military are all great logistics organization, but from what I understand nobody is better at than Walmart.

The interesting implication is that as the Chinese domestic market expands, WMT should be a pretty big beneficiary. Even if WalMart is selling a product that is designed and manufactured in China and sold to a Chinese consumer, the shareholders of WMT benefit from profit in each transaction. I find this to be encouraging as American wondering how we will compete with China.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Anything I invest in, I would use something like 100 day moving average to decide when to get in and out. But to answer the question, I would invest 1/3 in GABUX, 1/3 in PCEF, and 1/3 in TEGBX.

Tags
cash, early retirement, income stream, investment