Join Early Retirement Today

If you have POA for you parents
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have POA for you parents

Something to keep in mind,so you don't get stuck with the bill.
Old Mike
How a parent’s health-care bills could hurt you - Elizabeth O'Brien's Retire Well - MarketWatch
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for this--DH is POA for his dad, and I forwarded the article for him to read.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Administrator

Another thanks here. Helpful to me (I'm POA ), I'm also forwarding to my brother and also my kids.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

DW was warned about this by the elder law attorney we dealt with. She always signed her name and then "as POA".
Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the article. I am POA for my dad should he lose his faculties My brother is, too. I'll make sure I forward it to him. My ladyfriend is in the process of obtaining POA for her parents (who are losing their faculties) so I'll make sure she gets this, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently went through this for my mother (for whom I am POA). She has dementia and last year she entered a nursing home.

Before signing anything, you should also check to see if your state has a preference on how you sign. For example, I sign everything as "MY NAME, as attorney-in-fact for MOTHER'S NAME".
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW was warned about this by the elder law attorney we dealt with. She always signed her name and then "as POA".
I was POA for my Mom, and would always sign similar to that. When I was signing documents at her bank, and also the hospital prior to her death, both of them said that was a valid way to sign, at least in the state she lived in.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had this exact discussion with the local (Michigan) credit union two days ago. Their advice was essentially identical to one in the article: "The best way to separate your responsibility as power of attorney from any personal financial obligation is to sign your parent’s name as the responsible party on the contract, and after that write, “by [your name] as power of attorney,” followed by the date".

The only difference was that the credit union suggested using the "POA" abbreviation instead of spelling it out, unless I liked writing a lot....
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
gone traveling

Thanks for this; DW has POA for her aunt.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote