Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Second on the more ammo.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #22

hot sexy bacon

Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Tulips.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
For example, foreign stocks might look like a good hedge for US-based investors, but if, at some point, you need the money, you have to sell your foreign stocks and what do you get in exchange? A wheelbarrow full of worthless dollars.
Yeah but isn't the idea that your foreign stocks will get you 10 wheelbarrows worth of dollars, whereas selling your U.S. stock would only get you one wheelbarrow full of dollars?

But anyway, I think the wheelbarrow scenario is very unlikely. Barring a nuclear war, the U.S. is not going to be Weimar Germany or Zimbabwe. However, I think it's very likely we will see a substantial reduction in our standard of living -- much more expensive imports (which these days covers just about everything) which will simply mean we'll all have to get by on less.

I suppose holding foreign-denominated assets that are appreciating against the dollar would help offset that by outperforming dollar-based investments once the exchange rates are factored in, which might help prop up my falling standard of living.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would convert my lower family room into an indoor greenhouse with all the latest small scale food growing technology.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #26

Right before the last big recession, it looked very clear that getting out of US dollars made sense. But then the recession came along and US dollars became what everyone wanted. You just can't predict this stuff. Whatever you know about the direction of the currencies, the pro currency traders know that and more.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
YHowever, I think it's very likely we will see a substantial reduction in our standard of living -- much more expensive imports (which these days covers just about everything) which will simply mean we'll all have to get by on less.
Of course, the flip side of this is that if imports get more expensive, then domestic industry will become more cost-competitive and may partially reinvigorate domestic manufacturing. Glass half full!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote=lawman;847027]Done that already...bought 6000 rounds not long ago...[/quote
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep!" as the old adage goes.

I think most people are aware of the run up in munitions prices and some people theorize that it is based on metals demand, but even when metals prices (copper) plummeted, munitions continued rising.

Several years ago, when traveling along the Amazon river, I met an American who traveled the river extensively and he carried "shotgun" shells instead of Dollars. He informed me that they could be traded for a meal, a bed or even a night with the Chiefs daughter.

At the time, I thought it was just an interesting curiosity and filed it away in my head under "useless information". In later years when I became more interested in Fiat currency and was thinking what was small enough to carry, could be easily traded, and could protect itself, munitions was a logical answer.

If I feel the need to carry around larger denominations, hand grenades are easy to carry and are much less cumbersome on fishing trips!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
If I feel the need to carry around larger denominations, hand grenades are easy to carry and are much less cumbersome on fishing trips!
That's one thing I fear - explosive growth in hand grenade sales.

I'll stick to my international investments... less volatile...