Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dang, I just looked again...before the company kicked him out he had a net worth in excess of a billion dollars.
It must be a relief for him to know that he's accumulated enough shareholder assets to be able to persuade Bubba & Spike (and all the rest of the boys on the cellblock) to treat him right. I'll bet he sleeps well at night!

Maybe they can start up their own call center...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve enjoyed this thread, Wildcat

I knew a family friend of my parents, played tennis with him often on Sunday after church, who was a chemical engineer by training. You’ve never met a happier guy. But the twenty years I was around him, he never worked for a salary. What he did do was far more interesting.

The short story was he started or bought and sold businesses. When I first became aware of what people did for money, he owned a small, local airport outside of Atlanta with one or two other guys. They developed the AP into a thriving private air hub, and then sold it after several years. He did this grow and sell thing multiple times. As far as I know, he never missed turning a nice profit. When the world was using ballpoint pens, he invented a hard point pen. Grew the business, sold it. Did it over and over. No telling how much he was worth, but you’d never know it to see him or be around him. He was just a super guy.

It reminds me of something I read recently. A business is something you can grow into greater value and sell at a profit. Anything else is just a job, even if you work for yourself.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I’ve enjoyed this thread, Wildcat

I knew a family friend of my parents, played tennis with him often on Sunday after church, who was a chemical engineer by training. You’ve never met a happier guy. But the twenty years I was around him, he never worked for a salary. What he did do was far more interesting.

The short story was he started or bought and sold businesses. When I first became aware of what people did for money, he owned a small, local airport outside of Atlanta with one or two other guys. They developed the AP into a thriving private air hub, and then sold it after several years. He did this grow and sell thing multiple times. As far as I know, he never missed turning a nice profit. When the world was using ballpoint pens, he invented a hard point pen. Grew the business, sold it. Did it over and over. No telling how much he was worth, but you’d never know it to see him or be around him. He was just a super guy.

It reminds me of something I read recently. A business is something you can grow into greater value and sell at a profit. Anything else is just a job, even if you work for yourself.
Yeah, I have an uncle who is kind of like that but I only know he has some money from what people tell me. I would never have guessed it. I think he bought some raw land, developed it and sold it. A real quirky yet intelligent guy.

Pretty tight all around. Always recycling stuff and finding new ways to put stuff to use. He has had some of the same outfits for years. It's funny. If you ever go through photo albums you may recognize the outfit he was wearing 10 years ago. In fact, he actually had it on at the time we were going through the pictures
Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A co-worker once worked at Boeing and survived the massive layoffs in '69 or thereabouts. He kept his job and bought houses and apartment buildings dirt cheap. Rented them out. He is worth a mint today.

We tried being landlords once. Not for us.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote