Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bad? It was childish...
Must...resist...moderator-bait...response...

Incidentally, the straight man always got paid a lot more than the funny guy in Vaudeville acts.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern, Florida
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh, that was baaaad.
No, that would be a sheep.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2006 at age 49.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not entirely true, Honda Accord will probably set an all-time sales mark for the Accord, nearly 500,000. The Civic is selling even better than that, only 20 days inventory for the WHOLE USA........

Toyota Priuses are on 6-month backorder. However, the Toyota Tundra and Honda Ridgeline and Pilot are NOT selling well..........
i just found out my 2006 pilot is now only worth about $14k - a two-year old pilot used to be worth about $20-22k...boo hoo...
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i just found out my 2006 pilot is now only worth about $14k - a two-year old pilot used to be worth about $20-22k...boo hoo...
So were you planning on selling it right now? If not, who cares what the market value is?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
i was considering trading in the car (lease) for something else - i wanted to avoid the over-mileage fees and tired of the rising gas...at the time we weren't ready to buy and needed a larger car - but teen is about to start driving and it's usually just me and the little ones so we don't need the room as much as we did...also want to snatch the 0% apr that are coming back around...

the idea seemed much more inviting when i had the old resale value in my head...

now i'm not sure what i will do...
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #186
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i just found out my 2006 pilot is now only worth about $14k - a two-year old pilot used to be worth about $20-22k...boo hoo...
Ouch..........at least it's a Honda, can you imagine what an F150 is worth
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i was considering trading in the car (lease) for something else - i wanted to avoid the over-mileage fees and tired of the rising gas...at the time we weren't ready to buy and needed a larger car - but teen is about to start driving and it's usually just me and the little ones so we don't need the room as much as we did...also want to snatch the 0% apr that are coming back around...

the idea seemed much more inviting when i had the old resale value in my head...

now i'm not sure what i will do...
So do you own it or lease it? Not clear from your post. I assume the former, otherwise you wouldn't care what it is worth.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Sounds like a lease, and WAY over miles. The resale value doesn't matter on a lease. You can have the remaining payments and over mileage charges rolled into the next vehicle, or pay them outright.
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #189
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
it's a lease...i was only looking at the resale value if i was going to get another dealer to take the lease w/ purchase of a new vehicle (which is easier to negotiate if your car has high resale, i suspect)...i've heard some people doing it w/ a pilot even just a month or two ago, so i may still give it a try, otherwise i will just ride it out and pony up a little for the over miles.

only fortunate thing is there was a class action law suit so i get 5% over what was in the contract, but even then i will have to pay
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #190
Full time employment: Posting here.
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern, Florida
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ouch..........at least it's a Honda, can you imagine what an F150 is worth
Scrap value?
__________________
Retired in 2006 at age 49.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #191
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
it's a lease...i was only looking at the resale value if i was going to get another dealer to take the lease w/ purchase of a new vehicle (which is easier to negotiate if your car has high resale, i suspect).
Not true at all, most dealers take their lease returns to the auction...............


Quote:
only fortunate thing is there was a class action law suit so i get 5% over what was in the contract, but even then i will have to pay
Please explain??
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #192
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not true at all, most dealers take their lease returns to the auction...............




Please explain??
So you think they'll take it? It does seem like dealers are willing to deal right now...

Honda had a class action suit on the odometer (you can google) and settled to give all owners/lessees 5% on their warranty or lease on top of original miles because of the odometer issue - if you already paid for a service or extra miles on a lease they will refund you!
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #193
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
So you think they'll take it? It does seem like dealers are willing to deal right now...

Honda had a class action suit on the odometer (you can google) and settled to give all owners/lessees 5% on their warranty or lease on top of original miles because of the odometer issue - if you already paid for a service or extra miles on a lease they will refund you!
I worked in the auto industry for awhile. ABout 90% of our clients looking to trade in were "upside down". In the case of leased cars, it is pretty easy. The dealer appraises the car, and calls for a buyout. If the buyout is a LOT higher than the wholesale value, they generally work a deal on the new car, and then "turn back" the leased car to the manufacturer. Most maufacturer leases are "subsidized" through a really low money rate, a super-high residual, or both.

In your case, the dealer will figure out how many payments you have left, how much of a mileage penalty you'll have, and add that into the new car balance. I used to do stuff like that all the time........no dealer is going to pay $3-$4,000 more than a car is worth just to "help out" the customer..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #194
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,250
I bought an Explorer from my sister a few months back.... and now the price is $3500 less... OH well, it was my sister and I do not plan on getting rid of it anytime soon...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #195
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I worked in the auto industry for awhile. ABout 90% of our clients looking to trade in were "upside down". In the case of leased cars, it is pretty easy. The dealer appraises the car, and calls for a buyout. If the buyout is a LOT higher than the wholesale value, they generally work a deal on the new car, and then "turn back" the leased car to the manufacturer. Most maufacturer leases are "subsidized" through a really low money rate, a super-high residual, or both.

In your case, the dealer will figure out how many payments you have left, how much of a mileage penalty you'll have, and add that into the new car balance. I used to do stuff like that all the time........no dealer is going to pay $3-$4,000 more than a car is worth just to "help out" the customer..........
what? i thought they were my friends..


i had heard of a few folks who were able to walk away from their lease (no cost to them) from their pilots because of the high residual (even just a couple months ago) for a new car purchase - the high residual was what i had been counting on...the contract says residual is $16853 which would have been lower than the going rate for the car, but now is higher..so now it seems the stakes have changed?

i definitely don't want to roll extra costs into a new car! so maybe i'll just stay put a while longer...
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #196
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
drove an Explorer last two weeks that someone let me borrow. filled her up, drove 176 miles and then it needed another 11 gallons to fill up for $46.

i think i'll buy a Honda CRV next year
__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #197
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
drove an Explorer last two weeks that someone let me borrow. filled her up, drove 176 miles and then it needed another 11 gallons to fill up for $46.

i think i'll buy a Honda CRV next year
Costs our Hyundai Elantra over 50 here in CA to fill er up
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #198
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,052
I bought an 2009 Acura TSX last Sunday. Makes me feel kind of successful. It has more than enough bells and whistles. Before this car, I drove a 1999 Acura 3.2 TL (bought that car new). My wife and son also drive Acuras. Never had any major problems with my last Acura--except having to replace the radiator (costing $414). I just thought it might be nice to get a new car after 9+ years.
__________________
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #199
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
what? i thought they were my friends..


i had heard of a few folks who were able to walk away from their lease (no cost to them) from their pilots because of the high residual (even just a couple months ago) for a new car purchase - the high residual was what i had been counting on...the contract says residual is $16853 which would have been lower than the going rate for the car, but now is higher..so now it seems the stakes have changed?

i definitely don't want to roll extra costs into a new car! so maybe i'll just stay put a while longer...
If you are over miles, then the clock is ticking. Mileage acrues at .15-.20 cents a mile, so the "penalty" can add up fast. Since the high resale value of all SUVs are dropping, the Pilot is not immune. How many payments do you have left??
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #200
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
I have about 11 months left and about 10k over at this rate... We moved between last car and this one and underestimated the mileage in the new area... The charge is 20 cents per mile...
Ok, you guys can stop chuckling at me... This is my last blunder holdover from turning 30...
__________________

__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a used car - flooded? joesxm3 Other topics 15 11-03-2007 12:41 PM
Talk me out of buying another 'fun' car!!! thefed Other topics 30 09-15-2007 05:47 PM
Car Buying Choice cantlogin Other topics 13 08-03-2007 12:57 PM
Advice on buying a used car RedHawk Other topics 20 02-12-2007 07:28 PM
Financing a car/car buying advice usc_et Young Dreamers 14 11-01-2005 11:59 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.