Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I have about 11 months left and about 10k over at this rate... We moved between last car and this one and underestimated the mileage in the new area... The charge is 20 cents per mile...
Ok, you guys can stop chuckling at me... This is my last blunder holdover from turning 30...
Well, that's not too bad. If I assume the payments are $400 a month, you would need to come up with $4400 + $2000 in mileage penalty, that's a lot of money. If you can keep the mileage down as best as you can, and let's say another 8000 miles by the time it's up, you can turn it back and pay the mileage penalty only of about $3600. So you are better off to wait........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Your other option might be to see if you can buy the pilot right now or at the end of the lease without paying too much in early lease termination fees or having to pay the excess mileage fee. Probably not and maybe you dont want to own it, but I bought my miata out of the lease before it expired and I dont think I paid any fees.

The pilot value is down somewhat because they're giving the 2008's away in anticipation of the redesigned 2009's. You can get a new 08 for around $21-22k with no options on it. Its well enough equipped that the average person might not need any. Ours is a base model, no options.
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #203
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 44
I would buy a Nissan Altima Coupe SE right now. I really like Toyota, Nissan, and Honda and that one car is the only one our of their line-ups that is in my price range, has decent gas mileage, and looks nice and sporty. I really like sporty cars with now, and since I have a ways before I start a family, I figure I should but one when I am able to.
__________________
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Your other option might be to see if you can buy the pilot right now or at the end of the lease without paying too much in early lease termination fees or having to pay the excess mileage fee.
That is always an option, but most of the "lease specials" are heavily subsidizd by the manufacturer. When this is done, the vehicle has an "artificially high" buyout, which helps with lower payments while you lease it, but make it stupid to "buy it out" at the end of the lease.

You would avoid the excess miles, but most likely overpay for your own vehicle.........not a great choice really. The LAST lease I did, the vehicle had only 27,000 miles on it, but the buyout was $4000 more than the value of the car, so I passed.
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I was way under the mileage limit for the miata, and I liked it and knew its history, so it made very good sense to buy it at the buyout price. $16k and change isnt that bad for a used pilot where you know who's driven it and where its been.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #206
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I was way under the mileage limit for the miata, and I liked it and knew its history, so it made very good sense to buy it at the buyout price. $16k and change isnt that bad for a used pilot where you know who's driven it and where its been.
$16853 isn't too bad for a Pilot, it depends on the year and how many miles. I bought out two leases, and did ok. However, I now am a cash buyer and I beleive that saves a lot of money over leasing.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Preach ---> choir

I used to spin through cars every couple of years, so I finally quit buying them and leased a pair. Then under drove both of them and bought both off the lease and kept them for 7 years.

So I pretty much did it wrong all the way through there.

Now I buy them cash and keep them 7+ years. That, by the way, is a good bit cheaper.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Preach ---> choir

I used to spin through cars every couple of years, so I finally quit buying them and leased a pair. Then under drove both of them and bought both off the lease and kept them for 7 years.

So I pretty much did it wrong all the way through there.

Now I buy them cash and keep them 7+ years. That, by the way, is a good bit cheaper.
When I was in the auto business a million years ago, it used to lease new cars every couple years. I was able to buy them so cheap I could lease them for two years, then sell them and make money. Not so easy anymore........

When GE Capital Finance was BIG in used car leasing, we used to lease 1-2 year old Avalons with low miles for $100 a month CHEAPER than a NEW Avalon...........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #209
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Every time I see this thread, ("If you were buying a car today...") I think about buying a car today. I mean gee, I could do that! I have the cash and could buy one today! It would be fun to have a shiny new car and I don't mind paying the price for a brand new car. I consistently go from this thread to edmunds.com .

Then I realize that I really don't need to buy a car today. My 2000 Solara still has only about 35,000 miles on it. It would make more sense to buy a new car after I retire late next year, or maybe after I move north in 2010.

Thinking about a Honda Accord coupe next time. Or a Highlander. Or... (?) Who knows.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Kind of "funny"
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #210
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Kind of "funny"

To read these comments on a car "lease".

Back in the early '60's (yes, I know - a loooooong time ago!) my DW's (not yet my DW, but you know what I mean) boss leased a car.

That's when a lease was a lease (and men were real men ).

The lease included tax, registration, maintenance (e.g. oil/lube, plus any "out of warranty" expenses).

Today's leases? Anything but. To me, they are nothing more than "creative financing".

- Ron
__________________
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #211
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Then I realize that I really don't need to buy a car today. My 2000 Solara still has only about 35,000 miles on it. It would make more sense to buy a new car after I retire late next year, or maybe after I move north in 2010.
I go through much the same drill. Difference for me is that I have 133k on my car and climbing, so the replacement car may be here a bit sooner. Knock wood, no problems or reliability issues thus far.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #212
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, that's not too bad. If I assume the payments are $400 a month, you would need to come up with $4400 + $2000 in mileage penalty, that's a lot of money. If you can keep the mileage down as best as you can, and let's say another 8000 miles by the time it's up, you can turn it back and pay the mileage penalty only of about $3600. So you are better off to wait........

yeah, we're looking at the wait it out option - and considering buying it. although my SO's lexus dealer said they'd take it if we leased a new lex for almost $600 per month ! yikes! (someone get me off this hamster wheel!)

the payments are $317 per month with tax...(i think it was advertised as $279 or something pretax)

again, before the $16k was lower than the expected resale of the car, but now is higher...but overall for us is still cheaper than buying a new anything!
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #213
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
yeah, we're looking at the wait it out option - and considering buying it. although my SO's lexus dealer said they'd take it if we leased a new lex for almost $600 per month ! yikes! (someone get me off this hamster wheel!)
SO HAS a Lexus dealer, or he owns one and buys from them?? Lexus are nice, but most payments on a Lexus are BIG........

Quote:
the payments are $317 per month with tax...(i think it was advertised as $279 or something pretax)
Those are LOW payments on a Pilot.........

Quote:
again, before the $16k was lower than the expected resale of the car, but now is higher...but overall for us is still cheaper than buying a new anything!
Imagine if you had a domestic SUV that was leased.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #214
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
SO HAS a Lexus dealer, or he owns one and buys from them?? Lexus are nice, but most payments on a Lexus are BIG........



Those are LOW payments on a Pilot.........



Imagine if you had a domestic SUV that was leased.........
SO works there...yes, no more big lexus payments for me! he has one but it's subsidized by Lexus.

The payments are not bad at all but it's the lower lx model, no leather or nav 2wd - i just wish we had to drive less!
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #215
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
Well after about four months of searching and test driving every small and mid sized car from many dealers I found the three I like best were Chev Optra, Mazda 3 and Honda Fit except the fit was pathetically slow. Among the rejects were the Corolla Cobolt, Aveo Focus KIa Rios ect. I think the only manufaturer I did not test drive at least one car (other than high end stuff like Lexus and Mercedes) was Hyundai. Hyundai was not going to get me again as the accent I am trading in is the most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned,

Then I decided to start looking at larger cars. Drove Crowm Vics, Buicks Chev malibus, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord (Good) Mew Impalas (Good) Toyota Camray (overrated on shoulder and hip room) Ford Escapes (nice) Honda CRV Good and Toyota RAV (Good but slow)

To shorten a long story I will pick up my three year old Buick Allure with the 3800 series III motor and hang the gas mileage. Every small car I have ever owned has cost me more in repairs than the larger ones have cost me in fuel.

Bruce
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #216
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Well after about four months of searching and test driving every small and mid sized car from many dealers I found the three I like best were Chev Optra, Mazda 3 and Honda Fit except the fit was pathetically slow. Among the rejects were the Corolla Cobolt, Aveo Focus KIa Rios ect. I think the only manufaturer I did not test drive at least one car (other than high end stuff like Lexus and Mercedes) was Hyundai. Hyundai was not going to get me again as the accent I am trading in is the most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned,

Then I decided to start looking at larger cars. Drove Crowm Vics, Buicks Chev malibus, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord (Good) Mew Impalas (Good) Toyota Camray (overrated on shoulder and hip room) Ford Escapes (nice) Honda CRV Good and Toyota RAV (Good but slow)

To shorten a long story I will pick up my three year old Buick Allure with the 3800 series III motor and hang the gas mileage. Every small car I have ever owned has cost me more in repairs than the larger ones have cost me in fuel.

Bruce
You spent 4 months and wound up with an old Buick? You are a highly motivated man!

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #217
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
Toyota called me last week and going to send me some coupon for a new car

decided to look up the trade in value of my 2005 Matrix and my mouth dropped when KBB said it was almost $12000. checked a few listing for used models and dealers actually have them listed at $17,000. the base price of mine back in October 2004 was high $16,000 plus leather, tax, tag, title and whatever. wife and i put nothing down and financed every single penny at $20,845.

we have $5200 left on it and will probably pay it off and trade it in for something else next year. my guess it will be worth around $10,000. it's amazing how stupid so many people can be and throw their money away by paying so much for a 3 year old used car
__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #218
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
decided to look up the trade in value of my 2005 Matrix.....will probably pay it off and trade it in for something else next year.
It's amazing to me that people keep their car (new or used) such a short time.

BTW, my last car was an '89 Olds Ciera, driven well over 100k, bought it new, and had it over 18 years. My rule is to keep the car 10 years or 100K (in the Ciera's case, I passed both "benchmarks" )...

- Ron
__________________
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #219
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,052
I absolutely HATE car repairs! I can't convince or negotiate my car into running. I would much rather trade regularly and stay under warranty than to be sitting on the side of the road somewhere.
A distant second is broken shoelaces.
__________________
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #220
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
It's amazing to me that people keep their car (new or used) such a short time.

BTW, my last car was an '89 Olds Ciera, driven well over 100k, bought it new, and had it over 18 years. My rule is to keep the car 10 years or 100K (in the Ciera's case, I passed both "benchmarks" )...

- Ron

cheaper for me to buy new toyotas every few years than deal with the maintenance and repairs of old cars. i take my car for an oil change and a quick check up once a year and that's it. who wants to change breaks, belts or some of the other nonsense that people think is normal for owning a car?

including the trade in my wife and i will probably put $15,000 down on our next car and finance around $12,000 or less. after that there will be enough equity for nice tradeins every few years without any need of reaching into my pocket or keeping a car for a long time. i know someone with an 8 year old Buick Regal who wants to trade it in next year and thinks he will get $6000 for it. he's in for a big surprise. but the good news is that GM is literally giving SUV's away. some of the prices i saw quoted in the newspaper i can trade my car in for an SUV that was selling for $25,000 or more 2 years ago and drive away with a loan of less than $10,000. the bad news is that i'll be driving what is essentially a truck

with the Big3 pretty much all their cars values tank in the first few years so it doesn't make sense to trade up like you can do with Toyota's and Honda's. dealers are selling 4 year old cars for the same price as i bought mine new
__________________

__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a used car - flooded? joesxm3 Other topics 15 11-03-2007 12:41 PM
Talk me out of buying another 'fun' car!!! thefed Other topics 30 09-15-2007 05:47 PM
Car Buying Choice cantlogin Other topics 13 08-03-2007 12:57 PM
Advice on buying a used car RedHawk Other topics 20 02-12-2007 07:28 PM
Financing a car/car buying advice usc_et Young Dreamers 14 11-01-2005 11:59 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.