Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
. . it's amazing how stupid so many people can be and throw their money away by paying so much for a 3 year old used car
Cars are a lot different than they were 25 years ago. A three year old Toyota is hardly broken in. It's still got 3-5 years (60K miles) of driving before it even needs a timing belt, and it will be years before anything serious happens. Depending on what new ones are selling for, I don't think there's anything stupid about someone buying a three-year old Toyota. It is easy to make the case that it's a good deal if the car is cheaper than 70% of the new price.
MSRP for a typical 2009 Matrix is about $17K. I'd say a buyer who gets yours next year for $10K is doing very well. Lots of people would wonder who is acting "stupid."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

kbb quoted me $11850 as the dealer trade in this year and $10,000 is my guess for dealer trade in next year. buyer will probably pay more.

in my case i'll be buying a new car with the latest gizmos for what someone will be paying to drive away my used car
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
kbb quoted me $11850 as the dealer trade in this year and $10,000 is my guess for dealer trade in next year. buyer will probably pay more.

in my case i'll be buying a new car with the latest gizmos for what someone will be paying to drive away my used car
Well... technically, your new car with the latest gizmos will cost more that the amount someone will pay for your used Matrix - its cost is trade in + cash!

Edit - otherwise, I imagine, there would be quite a wait list for this mythical "new car with the latest gizmos" for $10-12K
lucija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
It's amazing to me that people keep their car (new or used) such a short time.

BTW, my last car was an '89 Olds Ciera, driven well over 100k, bought it new, and had it over 18 years. My rule is to keep the car 10 years or 100K (in the Ciera's case, I passed both "benchmarks" )...

- Ron
I had an 89 Cutlass Ciera that I bought with 30k miles on it in 95 from a lady in a nursing home. I sold it after both of your benchmarks had been met. That was a great car--IIRC, I bought it for KBB, which was $1200, and sold it for $700, still running, a few yrs ago.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
Well... technically, your new car with the latest gizmos will cost more that the amount someone will pay for your used Matrix - its cost is trade in + cash!

Edit - otherwise, I imagine, there would be quite a wait list for this mythical "new car with the latest gizmos" for $10-12K
camry or RAV4 can be had for around $20,000 before my trade in

but my wife wants a CRV with leather and that is around $25,000 right now. we need something bigger than a Matrix to hold our $1000 baby stroller
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
camry or RAV4 can be had for around $20,000 before my trade in

but my wife wants a CRV with leather and that is around $25,000 right now. we need something bigger than a Matrix to hold our $1000 baby stroller
You need:

1)Used Forester (Subaru)

2)Saturn Astra Wagon

3)Saab 95 wagon

Check them out......

Used Passat wagons are quite expensive.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
I absolutely HATE car repairs! I can't convince or negotiate my car into running. I would much rather trade regularly and stay under warranty than to be sitting on the side of the road somewhere.
A distant second is broken shoelaces.

2006 Accord with 81,000 miles on it. Will keep you posted.

Biggest issue so far was that I had to replace headlights last weekend outside of the Dells at 9pm.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #228

how many of these get the mpg rating of the CRV which is close to 30mpg?

and why would i buy used when i can buy new for about the same amount of money out of pocket? used car with 50000 miles might be cheaper but i'll spend close to that on maintenance changing out breaks, belts and driving to and from the mechanic.

my son will be 2 next year so i might as well buy something with the latest safety features as well
Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
2006 Accord with 81,000 miles on it. Will keep you posted.

Biggest issue so far was that I had to replace headlights last weekend outside of the Dells at 9pm.

you are still going to have to do normal wear and tear maintenance like it says in the book. new breaks, new belts, new something else just because you are going to hit 100,000 miles.

how much money did you save buying a used honda compared to a new one?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #230

Quote:
you are still going to have to do normal wear and tear maintenance like it says in the book. new breaks, new belts, new something else just because you are going to hit 100,000 miles.

how much money did you save buying a used honda compared to a new one?
I don't know. I bought it new. I paid 17,348. Sticker was 19k+. A 2005 when I bought the 2006 was 16,500. I'm guessing I'd get slaughtered on a trade-in.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #231

i check trade in values once or twice a year, and i think the values actually increased for my Matrix over last year. pretty sure it was around $11,000 last year because everyone still wanted an SUV
Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
how many of these get the mpg rating of the CRV which is close to 30mpg?
Most all..........

Quote:
and why would i buy used when i can buy new for about the same amount of money out of pocket? used car with 50000 miles might be cheaper but i'll spend close to that on maintenance changing out breaks, belts and driving to and from the mechanic.
Not if you buy from a place like CarMax where they recon the whole thing.......

I bought my 2003 Honda Accord with 34,000 miles on it in February 2006. I now have 82,000 miles on it, and I have done the following maintenance:

1)Rear brakes at 75,000 miles (were original)
2)New battery
3)New tires
4)New wiper blades
5) 2 transmission fluid drain and fills (at 50,000 and 80,000 miles)

My Accord is a 4-cylinder, so it has a timing chain, meaning no expensive maintenance at 100,000 miles. The only thing I will need is new plugs and changing the brake fluid.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I don't know. I bought it new. I paid 17,348. Sticker was 19k+. A 2005 when I bought the 2006 was 16,500. I'm guessing I'd get slaughtered on a trade-in.
You would get $12,000 for it on trade-in, if it was a 4-cylinder......

Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #234

how much money did you save compared to buying a new Accord and all the maintenance you've done
Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with you when you say car maintenance is a pain (and I do none of it myself), but (in your case) 10K+ buys you a lot of maintenance! Regardless of money, I do think you should buy the car you need (if you need a larger car, get one).

Our Civic (we bought new) has more than 110000 mi on it and I know we have spent well under $1500 over the life of the car on things other than gas, oil and tires. So far no repairs of any kind were needed. So, how many monthly payments does $1500 worth of maintenance translates into?

By the way, I drive an older version of CRV and get nowhere near 30 mi/gallon.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #236

toyotas and hondas are notorious for holding their values, so if you buy used and then account for even normal maintenance like tires you will probably save very little money compared to buying new. and even less if you buy new the first time, take the hit and then use the nice resale value as equity to get a similar new car at a nice discount
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
how much money did you save compared to buying a new Accord and all the maintenance you've done
A new Accord was $23,500 at the time,I paid $15,500 3 years old with 34,000 miles...........

I think I'm ahead.thus far...............

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You would get $12,000 for it on trade-in, if it was a 4-cylinder......
So an hour or two with a hacksaw and voila?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
I agree with you when you say car maintenance is a pain (and I do none of it myself), but (in your case) 10K+ buys you a lot of maintenance! Regardless of money, I do think you should buy the car you need (if you need a larger car, get one).
I admit it - - my next car is going to be a new car, and my reasons are completely indefensible!! I like the new car smell, the shiny appearance, and the fun and ego boost of getting a brand new "toy". Is that worth $10K+ to me?

YES!!!

But, I wouldn't do it if I was doing some serious LBYM like last year. After ER, I won't have to be quite so thrifty.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2Retire - I like the new car smell as well. I also like the idea of buying new (and not owning other people's problems). Once I get the car, though, I hang onto it for a while...