Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
about $1.80

still insane that people would pay that much for a used car out of warranty rather than a new fuel efficient car
__________________

__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
My rental car on this trip is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. After driving it since Saturday morning, we have been wondering why on earth these pieces of Chrysler were so popular. Same size as my minivan, but with less cargo room and one less row of seats. The huge V8 strains to get up to highway speeds (WTF?) and guzzles the dead dinosaurs like its 1999. And the thing feels so top heavy I keep wondering if we will flip when taking corners at 15MPH. What on earth were all the idiots buying these things thinking?
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
i drove one around 10 years ago. someone gave it to me so i can make a BK run for them and myself. even then i thought you had to be crazy to spend $30,000 or more for that piece of junk. i'm 6' and i thought it was too small

remember now. 1997 or 1998 was a huge snowstorm in NYC and other parts of the northeast. and we had a few big storms for the next 5-6 years. everyone with AWD or 4WD had no trouble so everyone spent all that money to drive to work in the snow. after a few years the people that follow the herd did it for no other reason than everyone else had an SUV
__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #284
Full time employment: Posting here.
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern, Florida
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What on earth were all the idiots buying these things thinking?
Oooh, Jeep. Oooh, 4-wheel drive. Oooh, off-road capability that I'll never use. Yeaaaaaah!
__________________
Retired in 2006 at age 49.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Oooh, Jeep. Oooh, 4-wheel drive. Oooh, off-road capability that I'll never use. Yeaaaaaah!

Probably. Having said all that, there is a VW parked in front of MIL's house that has a huge, smug, self-righteous sticker indicating that it is run on vegetable oil that I long to ram with the 5000# monstrosity. "I am older and I have more insurance."
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #286
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finance Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Is there a car that gets good mileage (over 30mpg) and is about the size of the mazda 5? I saw one and it's a great size, but same mpg as my pilot so not worth the loss in size or horses...

can someone ask toyota to make a prius that looks more like the mazda 5? the highlander is too big...(and expensive!)
May I ask whey you like the Prius? About how many miles do you drive per year?

The reason I ask is that the additional up-front cost of a Prius is high enough that most drivers will not recover the cost for at least 5 years. Of course if you drive 25,000 miles a year, it might be worth it.

I think hybrids are a poor solution to our problems today with oil dependency. I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX wagon that got 38 MPG city and 41 highway, and remember that was 16 years ago!

We don't need expensive hybrids to get good fuel mileage. We need an American public willing to drive cars that are smaller, with fewer amenities, and people that drive more sensibly. It makes me laugh when I see Prius owners accelerating hard between stoplights. They pay thousands more for a car that is supposed to get good mileage, then they drive in a way that severely decreases their fuel mileage.

I'm not saying hybrids are bad, or that hybrid owners are bad...just that hybrids are a marginal solution at best. I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.

As a side note, I'm an auto enthusiast and was an auto mechanic for about 8 years in the '80s.

Dave
__________________
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
May I ask whey you like the Prius?

. . .

I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.
May I ask why you are in favor of hydrogen? It isn't an energy source, it is only an energy transfer medium (like electricity). And, as an energy transfer medium, it is terrible. Compared to electricity, it is more expensive to produce (cleanly), harder/more dangerous/more expensive to transport and store, and harder to use.

The Hydrogen Hoax.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
May I ask whey you like the Prius? About how many miles do you drive per year?

The reason I ask is that the additional up-front cost of a Prius is high enough that most drivers will not recover the cost for at least 5 years. Of course if you drive 25,000 miles a year, it might be worth it.

I think hybrids are a poor solution to our problems today with oil dependency. I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX wagon that got 38 MPG city and 41 highway, and remember that was 16 years ago!

We don't need expensive hybrids to get good fuel mileage. We need an American public willing to drive cars that are smaller, with fewer amenities, and people that drive more sensibly. It makes me laugh when I see Prius owners accelerating hard between stoplights. They pay thousands more for a car that is supposed to get good mileage, then they drive in a way that severely decreases their fuel mileage.

I'm not saying hybrids are bad, or that hybrid owners are bad...just that hybrids are a marginal solution at best. I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.

As a side note, I'm an auto enthusiast and was an auto mechanic for about 8 years in the '80s.

Dave
I like the size, the style/amenities, reliability and the mileage. There are few other cars that i know of that have the efficient cabin space of the prius for the size of the car. Very open to alternatives i should be looking at.

As i mentioned above, the Mazda 5 looks pretty groovy in terms of size/cabin, but lacking in the mpg (i drive mostly city miles not highway).

The price is high, but whatever car I buy, i'd like to keep for at least 10 years so i'd rather by a higher mpg car now which may look low in 5-10 years (i hope). We're driving about 15k per year now but that's also because we're trying to conserve because of our lease limit on miles.

I haven't gone into "crunch" mode yet on considering what to buy - so once i do a serious crunch i could totally change my mind!
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #289
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I like the size, the style/amenities, reliability and the mileage. There are few other cars that i know of that have the efficient cabin space of the prius for the size of the car. Very open to alternatives i should be looking at.

As i mentioned above, the Mazda 5 looks pretty groovy in terms of size/cabin, but lacking in the mpg (i drive mostly city miles not highway).

The price is high, but whatever car I buy, i'd like to keep for at least 10 years so i'd rather by a higher mpg car now which may look low in 5-10 years (i hope). We're driving about 15k per year now but that's also because we're trying to conserve because of our lease limit on miles.

I haven't gone into "crunch" mode yet on considering what to buy - so once i do a serious crunch i could totally change my mind!
Wait for the Honda Stream to hit the US shores:

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #290
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
We rented a Toyota Rav for our Yellowstone and Grand Teton vacation. I was very impressed with the vehicle.
Jeff
__________________
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #291
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
We rented a Toyota Rav for our Yellowstone and Grand Teton vacation. I was very impressed with the vehicle.
Jeff
I rented a Rav4 for my Arizona trip, it was a nice vehicle to take up to Roosevelt Dam............

I am going to Yellowstone next year, but we are driving. I guess I'm going to have to "suffer" with my 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD and navigation system.............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #292
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,543
i know someone with a RAV4

i like it. it's a little rough and there is no leather option but it's pretty good. My wife likes the CR-V more
__________________
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
I thought this looked cool. I have no idea if its junk or not just sayen..

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #294
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I thought this looked cool. I have no idea if its junk or not just sayen..

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/
Junk...........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #295
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Junk...........
Darn
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #296
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
We've got two rav4's in the family, a 2001 and a 2004. Other than the sunroof in the 2001 being the worst piece of junk every installed on any vehicle ever, we've had no trouble with either and they're a great combination of size, space and economy. The rear seats come out completely, making it a great dog mobile. I've moved washers and dryer's in it. Gets around 23-24mpg in mixed driving, 27-28 on the highway.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #297
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Wait for the Honda Stream to hit the US shores:

OMG smaller than an odyssey but larger than the mazda 5? And it might come in a hybrid? I think I'm getting dizzy...just hope it makes its way over here in time...do you know when we can get confirmation of landing? I saw some articles say late 2009...which would mean I might have to extend my lease a few months?

i test drove an odyssey and it was way too huge for me to drive around daily...this would be my dream car?! just wondering what the price tag will be?

Edit: Edmunds says between $18-$23k...
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #298
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,345
I've had a 95, 98 and now a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its true they have little room and sh#tty gas mileage, but I frequently go off road, sometimes through heavy snow, yet sometimes travel into the city. So the Grand Cherokee is perfect for me and I can't wait to get a new one when mine craps out at 200,000 miles plus.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #299
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've had a 95, 98 and now a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its true they have little room and sh#tty gas mileage, but I frequently go off road, sometimes through heavy snow, yet sometimes travel into the city. So the Grand Cherokee is perfect for me and I can't wait to get a new one when mine craps out at 200,000 miles plus.
Granted, their mileage ain't great, but we drove a 1992 GC from Whitehorse to Inuvik in June. 370km between gas stations, problem free (other than tires). GC had approx 375,000 Km. on it when we left.
__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #300
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Granted, their mileage ain't great, but we drove a 1992 GC from Whitehorse to Inuvik in June. 370km between gas stations, problem free (other than tires). GC had approx 375,000 Km. on it when we left.
That could have qualified you as an Ice Road Trucker
__________________

__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a used car - flooded? joesxm3 Other topics 15 11-03-2007 12:41 PM
Talk me out of buying another 'fun' car!!! thefed Other topics 30 09-15-2007 05:47 PM
Car Buying Choice cantlogin Other topics 13 08-03-2007 12:57 PM
Advice on buying a used car RedHawk Other topics 20 02-12-2007 07:28 PM
Financing a car/car buying advice usc_et Young Dreamers 14 11-01-2005 11:59 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.