Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

about $1.80

still insane that people would pay that much for a used car out of warranty rather than a new fuel efficient car
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My rental car on this trip is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. After driving it since Saturday morning, we have been wondering why on earth these pieces of Chrysler were so popular. Same size as my minivan, but with less cargo room and one less row of seats. The huge V8 strains to get up to highway speeds (WTF?) and guzzles the dead dinosaurs like its 1999. And the thing feels so top heavy I keep wondering if we will flip when taking corners at 15MPH. What on earth were all the idiots buying these things thinking?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #283

i drove one around 10 years ago. someone gave it to me so i can make a BK run for them and myself. even then i thought you had to be crazy to spend $30,000 or more for that piece of junk. i'm 6' and i thought it was too small

remember now. 1997 or 1998 was a huge snowstorm in NYC and other parts of the northeast. and we had a few big storms for the next 5-6 years. everyone with AWD or 4WD had no trouble so everyone spent all that money to drive to work in the snow. after a few years the people that follow the herd did it for no other reason than everyone else had an SUV
Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #284
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What on earth were all the idiots buying these things thinking?
Oooh, Jeep. Oooh, 4-wheel drive. Oooh, off-road capability that I'll never use. Yeaaaaaah!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Oooh, Jeep. Oooh, 4-wheel drive. Oooh, off-road capability that I'll never use. Yeaaaaaah!

Probably. Having said all that, there is a VW parked in front of MIL's house that has a huge, smug, self-righteous sticker indicating that it is run on vegetable oil that I long to ram with the 5000# monstrosity. "I am older and I have more insurance."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Is there a car that gets good mileage (over 30mpg) and is about the size of the mazda 5? I saw one and it's a great size, but same mpg as my pilot so not worth the loss in size or horses...

can someone ask toyota to make a prius that looks more like the mazda 5? the highlander is too big...(and expensive!)
May I ask whey you like the Prius? About how many miles do you drive per year?

The reason I ask is that the additional up-front cost of a Prius is high enough that most drivers will not recover the cost for at least 5 years. Of course if you drive 25,000 miles a year, it might be worth it.

I think hybrids are a poor solution to our problems today with oil dependency. I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX wagon that got 38 MPG city and 41 highway, and remember that was 16 years ago!

We don't need expensive hybrids to get good fuel mileage. We need an American public willing to drive cars that are smaller, with fewer amenities, and people that drive more sensibly. It makes me laugh when I see Prius owners accelerating hard between stoplights. They pay thousands more for a car that is supposed to get good mileage, then they drive in a way that severely decreases their fuel mileage.

I'm not saying hybrids are bad, or that hybrid owners are bad...just that hybrids are a marginal solution at best. I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.

As a side note, I'm an auto enthusiast and was an auto mechanic for about 8 years in the '80s.

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
May I ask whey you like the Prius?

. . .

I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.
May I ask why you are in favor of hydrogen? It isn't an energy source, it is only an energy transfer medium (like electricity). And, as an energy transfer medium, it is terrible. Compared to electricity, it is more expensive to produce (cleanly), harder/more dangerous/more expensive to transport and store, and harder to use.

The Hydrogen Hoax.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
May I ask whey you like the Prius? About how many miles do you drive per year?

The reason I ask is that the additional up-front cost of a Prius is high enough that most drivers will not recover the cost for at least 5 years. Of course if you drive 25,000 miles a year, it might be worth it.

I think hybrids are a poor solution to our problems today with oil dependency. I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX wagon that got 38 MPG city and 41 highway, and remember that was 16 years ago!

We don't need expensive hybrids to get good fuel mileage. We need an American public willing to drive cars that are smaller, with fewer amenities, and people that drive more sensibly. It makes me laugh when I see Prius owners accelerating hard between stoplights. They pay thousands more for a car that is supposed to get good mileage, then they drive in a way that severely decreases their fuel mileage.

I'm not saying hybrids are bad, or that hybrid owners are bad...just that hybrids are a marginal solution at best. I'm more looking forward to the Hydrogen fuel cell revolution...that will be a real step up from where we are today.

As a side note, I'm an auto enthusiast and was an auto mechanic for about 8 years in the '80s.

Dave
I like the size, the style/amenities, reliability and the mileage. There are few other cars that i know of that have the efficient cabin space of the prius for the size of the car. Very open to alternatives i should be looking at.

As i mentioned above, the Mazda 5 looks pretty groovy in terms of size/cabin, but lacking in the mpg (i drive mostly city miles not highway).

The price is high, but whatever car I buy, i'd like to keep for at least 10 years so i'd rather by a higher mpg car now which may look low in 5-10 years (i hope). We're driving about 15k per year now but that's also because we're trying to conserve because of our lease limit on miles.

I haven't gone into "crunch" mode yet on considering what to buy - so once i do a serious crunch i could totally change my mind!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I like the size, the style/amenities, reliability and the mileage. There are few other cars that i know of that have the efficient cabin space of the prius for the size of the car. Very open to alternatives i should be looking at.

As i mentioned above, the Mazda 5 looks pretty groovy in terms of size/cabin, but lacking in the mpg (i drive mostly city miles not highway).

The price is high, but whatever car I buy, i'd like to keep for at least 10 years so i'd rather by a higher mpg car now which may look low in 5-10 years (i hope). We're driving about 15k per year now but that's also because we're trying to conserve because of our lease limit on miles.

I haven't gone into "crunch" mode yet on considering what to buy - so once i do a serious crunch i could totally change my mind!
Wait for the Honda Stream to hit the US shores:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #290
Full time employment: Posting here.

We rented a Toyota Rav for our Yellowstone and Grand Teton vacation. I was very impressed with the vehicle.
Jeff
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
We rented a Toyota Rav for our Yellowstone and Grand Teton vacation. I was very impressed with the vehicle.
Jeff
I rented a Rav4 for my Arizona trip, it was a nice vehicle to take up to Roosevelt Dam............

I am going to Yellowstone next year, but we are driving. I guess I'm going to have to "suffer" with my 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD and navigation system.............

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #292

i know someone with a RAV4

i like it. it's a little rough and there is no leather option but it's pretty good. My wife likes the CR-V more
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #293

I thought this looked cool. I have no idea if its junk or not just sayen..

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I thought this looked cool. I have no idea if its junk or not just sayen..

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/journey/
Junk...........

Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Junk...........
Darn
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #296
Give me a forum ...

We've got two rav4's in the family, a 2001 and a 2004. Other than the sunroof in the 2001 being the worst piece of junk every installed on any vehicle ever, we've had no trouble with either and they're a great combination of size, space and economy. The rear seats come out completely, making it a great dog mobile. I've moved washers and dryer's in it. Gets around 23-24mpg in mixed driving, 27-28 on the highway.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Wait for the Honda Stream to hit the US shores:

OMG smaller than an odyssey but larger than the mazda 5? And it might come in a hybrid? I think I'm getting dizzy...just hope it makes its way over here in time...do you know when we can get confirmation of landing? I saw some articles say late 2009...which would mean I might have to extend my lease a few months?

i test drove an odyssey and it was way too huge for me to drive around daily...this would be my dream car?! just wondering what the price tag will be?

Edit: Edmunds says between $18-$23k...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #298
Moderator Emeritus

I've had a 95, 98 and now a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its true they have little room and sh#tty gas mileage, but I frequently go off road, sometimes through heavy snow, yet sometimes travel into the city. So the Grand Cherokee is perfect for me and I can't wait to get a new one when mine craps out at 200,000 miles plus.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've had a 95, 98 and now a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its true they have little room and sh#tty gas mileage, but I frequently go off road, sometimes through heavy snow, yet sometimes travel into the city. So the Grand Cherokee is perfect for me and I can't wait to get a new one when mine craps out at 200,000 miles plus.
Granted, their mileage ain't great, but we drove a 1992 GC from Whitehorse to Inuvik in June. 370km between gas stations, problem free (other than tires). GC had approx 375,000 Km. on it when we left.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #300
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Granted, their mileage ain't great, but we drove a 1992 GC from Whitehorse to Inuvik in June. 370km between gas stations, problem free (other than tires). GC had approx 375,000 Km. on it when we left.
That could have qualified you as an Ice Road Trucker
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote