Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That could have qualified you as an Ice Road Trucker
Not in June, midnight sun and temperature about 25C

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Subaru WRX 5 door. To hell with the mpg, I like the sock in the back.

Ha

Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #303

My wife and I recently test drove the Toyota RAV-4 and the Honda CR-V. We both like the styling and cabin/instrument layout of the CR-V, but the RAV-4 has a better engine (when comparing 4-cylinders). The mid-level CR-V comes with this "drop down" center console, which is rather annoying and cheap. How much more would it have cost for a permanent center console? Likewise, I'm concerned that Honda doesn't like to issue recalls for defective parts as often as Toyota (e.g., Honda transmissions were clearly defective in the 1999 Accord), but Honda never issued a recall).

Anyone have some additional thoughts on the CR-V versus the RAV-4? I'd love to get an Acura RDX, but it's kinda out of the price range.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #304
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Likewise, I'm concerned that Honda doesn't like to issue recalls for defective parts as often as Toyota (e.g., Honda transmissions were clearly defective in the 1999 Accord), but Honda never issued a recall).
Honda is much more likely than Toyota to offer goodwill repair help LONG after the warranty is gone. On my 2003 Accord, the digital display went kaput. Apparently it was a problem with that model year. I had 45,000miles on the car, and Honda paid for the new part ($700), all I paid is installation ($100). That was nice of them

Quote:
Anyone have some additional thoughts on the CR-V versus the RAV-4? I'd love to get an Acura RDX, but it's kinda out of the price range.
i don't think you can go wrong either way. My neighbor just bought a 2008 Rav4 and loves it. it is a nice car.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Honda is much more likely than Toyota to offer goodwill repair help LONG after the warranty is gone. On my 2003 Accord, the digital display went kaput. Apparently it was a problem with that model year. I had 45,000miles on the car, and Honda paid for the new part ($700), all I paid is installation ($100). That was nice of them
On the other side, the only issue I've had with my Accord so far is that, if it's been out in the cold (and only at a certain temp point), the radio keeps trying to switch to aux. So, if it's below the temp point, it'll try and switch once the car warms up enough and then it'll stop... if it's close enough to that temp, it'll do it no matter what.

Honda told the dealer they wouldn't replace it unless the dealer could recreate the issue, so I got a free rental for two days while they kept it overnight. They couldn't recreate the issue so no new radio for me... it's got me much more inclined to go Toyota next time, which I'm sure I'll get around to telling them as soon as it cools off and I start having issues again.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #306
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought a RAV4 with a third row seat when we had our baby late last year. We really like it so far. Our main criteria was pretty good gas mileage. Coming from a small 4-dr sedan and a 2-dr coupe, we were amazing at how much we can haul. It also has plenty of power, even though it's only a 4-cyl. The 6-cyl seems to be very highly regarded especially since it only has a 1 mpg penalty over the 4-cyl.

Our only complaint is that it's a little "bouncy" but again that could be because we came from a sedan/coupe.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #307

Well guess we are in the market for a new vehicle.

A woman rear ended us doing 35 to 50 according to the CHP and FD. Causing a 4 car pile up.Oh yeah I feel great today. I cant believe we are just sore with no serious injuries. Lost my favorite little grill in the accident though Seat belts are awesome.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #308
Full time employment: Posting here.

Time to buy a Volvo.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Glad you're okay, but I'm frankly shocked that one of the ultra safe and super conservative drivers we have in Sac hit you! Shocked!!

I got slammed into about 8 months ago when I was on my way to sears to get a water heater. Gee thanks, smacked my car AND I get to do plumbing...

Fortunately my trailer hitch absorbed most of the hit. Just a few scratches in the bumper. And I didnt have a grill back there.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Glad you're okay, but I'm frankly shocked that one of the ultra safe and super conservative drivers we have in Sac hit you! Shocked!!

I got slammed into about 8 months ago when I was on my way to sears to get a water heater. Gee thanks, smacked my car AND I get to do plumbing...

Fortunately my trailer hitch absorbed most of the hit. Just a few scratches in the bumper. And I didnt have a grill back there.
It was on Howe during lunch hour traffic. Ya go figure..
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Sunrise at lunchtime. But it was a weekend.

Guess we should stay home at lunch.

Now I just have to figure out how someone got up to 50mph on Howe at noon.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Sunrise at lunchtime. But it was a weekend.

Guess we should stay home at lunch.

Now I just have to figure out how someone got up to 50mph on Howe at noon.
I think she was the first car at the light. We were at the tail end of the congo line. She was going that fast and caught up didnt see the hard braking and just wacked us.

I think I should stop posting the vicadins are really kicking in :P
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Oh no, keep posting. Who knows what you'll come up with!

Good luck with vicodin. Didnt do a thing for me when I sprained my back. I went back to advil. My back still hurt although they made me chatty. Imagine.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #314
Give me a forum ...

And in a fascinating turn of events, GM recalls nearly a million vehicles for fires stemming from the windshield washing system.

I'm always impressed when someone manages to get something filled with water to catch fire.

Breaking news, opinion and commentary - Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #315

Im going to look into a tank. I dont think they need windshield wipers.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im going to look into a tank. I dont think they need windshield wipers.
Eh, just look for something heavy, with good crash test results, and with a 4 cylinder. You'll get old waiting to get up to highway speeds, but you'll get halfway decent mileage and be safe.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Eh, just look for something heavy, with good crash test results, and with a 4 cylinder. You'll get old waiting to get up to highway speeds, but you'll get halfway decent mileage and be safe.
We were in a Hyundai Elantra. I dont know its crash rating off hand. The next car Im going to pay attention to the crash ratings. Since that was an eye opener yesterday.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ok, Mr. Subie.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok, Mr. Subie.............
Yeah, well...

I also have been eyeballing the Kia Rondo, although would wait to see what Consumer's says about reliability before seriously considering it. But the powertrain is from the Optima (Sonata twin) that has been very reliable.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #320

Subaru is offering 0% and cash back. Honda has some decent incentives too. U.S army has a great deal on a tank if I want to give them a 4 year commitment..