Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We already have a minivan for family hauling duties, so I'd be looking for something smaller and sportier. If only it came with a sunroof, I'd probably buy a Honda Fit. Besides getting great gas mileage and being shockingly roomy inside for its size, I test drove a manual transmission sport model, and it was very fun to drive. There's a newly designed version coming in September (or thereabouts), so I'd wait for that one.

I really do love having a sunroof, though, so I'd probably opt for a Volkswagen GTI with the dual-clutch transmission. Thanks to a short commute, I only drive ~8K miles a year. The GTI gets decent gas mileage (~25mpg combined), but is a blast to drive, and can be had in a useful 5-door hatch configuration. Not as dead-reliable or roomy as some other options, but I put a premium on "fun-to-drive".
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just bought a 2006 Acura RSX three months ago. Low mileage, dependable and sporty.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
For most folks, this would be a "stupid transaction". For me, being retired and only putting on 200 mi/mo since February, and getting a fantastic car (IMHO) it was a dream come true.
I don't think it's a stupid transaction at all, especially given how little you drive! So, why not enjoy a luxury car? I might think of one too, at some point. I do like my luxury.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
the 2009 Forrester looked real nice.....
It's supposed to be great for driving in snow country, too. So I'm keeping my eye on it since I plan to ER up there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

First, as a worker (still) in an industry vulnerable to outsourcing and offshoring, I have a strong inclination to buy American. Second, since I mostly ride the bus and drive only occasionally, gas mileage is much less important to me than safety. I'd go for something big and heavy like a very large car (think Lincoln or Cadillac) or for a full size SUV. Being a frugal LBYM, I also might look at used cars and call it "new to me"
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Toyota Prius unless I was in Norway, the UK or I believe France in which case I would buy an all electric Th!nk City.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Last weekend, Toyota had a manufacturer directed sale at 3 or 4 dealerships in So. Ca. We purchased a 09 Matrix at the Toyota directed price with 0% for 36 months. No other dealership in Ca. would match the price. So whatever you get, get it at the manufacturer directed price, during the short time they are offered.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'd get the minicooper convertible. i considered it back when but got the stang, thinking i wanted more metal around me for roadtrips. but no sale on house plus bad economy & high gas means no extended roadtrips.

with my luck, just as soon as i bought the minicooper the house would sell and the gas bubble would pop so i'll just be happy to keep driving what i got.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

In terms of energy efficiency, the cars will probably be much better in five years or so. So you might consider getting something just to bridge that gap. I'd get a used Toyota Echo (mileage better than Yaris), and then get an electric car as soon as they become practical.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought a 2008 porsche cayman. I've wanted a porsche for 33 years and i finally got one. My wife have no kids, all the funds are automatically funded to the max, so i figured the next raise i got will go to the car.

I was a little frugal, i didn't get the S version.

J
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If you were buying a car today, what would you buy? And Why?
Every first of the month since January '80 I've bought a transit pass instead of researching what's available in cars; why? because I want to retire in this lifetime.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
I just bought a 2008 porsche cayman. I've wanted a porsche for 33 years and i finally got one. My wife have no kids, all the funds are automatically funded to the max, so i figured the next raise i got will go to the car.

I was a little frugal, i didn't get the S version.

J
I think the Cayman is one of the most gorgeous cars on the road. Pictures don't do them justice, they have to be ogled in person to truly appreciate how beautiful they are. Congratulations! When my kids are grown, I'll probably spring for a Boxster (or whatever the equivalent is by then).

What color did you get?
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

At 6'6 1/2" it gets uncomfortable, even painful, to be in a compact car for more than a half hour at a time so a corolla or civic isn't an option for me. I'd go the small suv route. Although I plan to keep my '04 forester for at least another decade if I were to buy a "new" car I would like to say i'd choose between a toyota rav4 and a honda crv but in reality i'd probably choose between an acura rdx and a lexus rx330 maybe even an infiniti fx35. Whichever one I bought, i'd get it 1-3 years old and keep it for a decade or more.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #34

As someone who's always been in the Chevy camp of Ford vs. Chevrolet, I'd still have to pick a Ford Ranger. I didn't feel cramped in the interior of the single cab, I never felt awkward driving it, and I could still park in compact parking. I would need the outside bed to haul a motorcycle in, but it would also be perfect to toss the toys in and go play.

With my comfort of motorcycles and scooters, having an everyday vehicle that can get 60-100+ MPG I won't be considering a vehicle based on its gas mileage.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #35

I would get another ZO6 Corvette. Mine is fast, comfortable and reliable and also gets 28 mpg on the highway. If I needed something slower I would buy a Honda. We have had Hondas for decades and are considering trading DW's Pilot in on a CRV but waiting to see if they come out with a hybrid version of it. If I had to have a four door sedan today I would look at Honda Accord and Toyota Camry Hybrid.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

To be honest - I don't know but reviewing the posts to this thread - I would use perhaps the following reasoning - 15th yr of ER so my choice would be lifestyle driven constrained by my ER Budget - mpg would count only where it fit in the big picture.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd get a jeep. Gotta have a little fun in life.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

DW has a Camry Hybrid, with every imaginable option/luxury, and it averages almost 40 mpg - unbelievable.

If I was buying a car today it would probably be a Prius, although I also like having a sunroof (not avail with Prius). But it appears the next gen high mileage hybrids from Honda and Toyota are less than 2 years away, so I would wait and suffer with my 25 mpg car for now...

For the person who said there was no track record for hybrids; the Honda Insight was introduced in late 1999 and the first gen Prius (my dentist still drives one) in 1997 (2001 in the US). There's plenty of track record IMHO...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Like Want to retire I also love my 1999 Solara and plan on driving it until it becomes unreliable or I fall in love with a new Toyota or Honda !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I think the Cayman is one of the most gorgeous cars on the road. Pictures don't do them justice, they have to be ogled in person to truly appreciate how beautiful they are. Congratulations! When my kids are grown, I'll probably spring for a Boxster (or whatever the equivalent is by then).

What color did you get?
Thanks!

I got carrara white with black leather with the 18" S wheels with colored crests. I'll post some pics soon.

J
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote