Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #61

I'm with Want2retire on it, but more for the knowing how it was maintained from day one. Got burned a couple of times on used cars, if I can help it at all I'm not going there again. And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.

That said, I've never had a new lemon either so I don't have that perspective. But I keep them until parts availability or reliability becomes a problem.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm with Want2retire on it, but more for the knowing how it was maintained from day one. Got burned a couple of times on used cars, if I can help it at all I'm not going there again. And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.

That said, I've never had a new lemon either so I don't have that perspective. But I keep them until parts availability or reliability becomes a problem.
My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice. Had a water pump problem last month on my 2006 Trailblazer, got it replaced free of charge. Had good luck with the other used one.

Played in a golf tournament today and a 2008 Chev Malibu was the prize for a hole in one. Didn't win it of course but that was one good looking car. About the same size as a Camry or Honda Accord. My nephew bought one a few years ago and he has had good luck with his. Might be something to consider one day. Chevrolet | 2008 Malibu Sedan - Vehicle Photo Gallery | Chevy Malibu
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
.....And having everything under warranty for the first few years is worth something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice.
I bought my current vehicle lightly used. It's a 2006 Chevy HHR, which I purchased in October 2006 with 13K miles, still covered with the factory 3 yr/36K mile warranty.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd have a tough time not choosing a BMW 135 if I were replacing my BMW 330. I'd buy new, pay cash (after trading in the 330), and would probably do a European delivery ($2400 off MSRP, drive in Europe for a week or two, then they ship it over).

I'd drive it for 10 years, like I'm planning on doing with my current car. But in this scenario someone is forcing me to change those plans...
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My last 2 were used. But each one only had 18k miles on them so I got a couple of years of warranty which was/is nice. Had a water pump problem last month on my 2006 Trailblazer, got it replaced free of charge. Had good luck with the other used one.

Played in a golf tournament today and a 2008 Chev Malibu was the prize for a hole in one. Didn't win it of course but that was one good looking car. About the same size as a Camry or Honda Accord. My nephew bought one a few years ago and he has had good luck with his. Might be something to consider one day. Chevrolet | 2008 Malibu Sedan - Vehicle Photo Gallery | Chevy Malibu

That's easily the best looking GM sedan I have ever seen.

slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
When we were students we bought heavily used cars, usually for less than $1000 (paid cash) and use them for 3-4 years. Sometimes we got lucky and sometimes not so lucky. My wife's Ford Tempo (with red interior!) and Ford Probe lasted quite a few years (with very few repairs needed), but my first car (a $500 Ford Taurus) didn't make it past 6 months...

I lived that life while I was a student too. I drove a 1973 VW squareback. Some may say that's not such a hardship, but I was a student in 2001. The car was falling apart.

About 2 months ago I bought a used Subaru Impreza Outback -- great car for a great price. I love small four-wheel drive cars.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
That's easily the best looking GM sedan I have ever seen.

Yes... not bad.

But the last couple of GM vehicles I have owned gave me problems.

I am a bit gun shy of buying from GM again.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #68
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
In June '07, I was looking for a new vehicle. I went to the local GM place and asked to see an Aveo. The salesperson told me to go to the other end of the lot where they had the used cars. How am I supposed to buy an 'American' car when they don't want my business?

I ended up buying an '05 Kia from a Ford dealer.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
In June '07, I was looking for a new vehicle. I went to the local GM place and asked to see an Aveo. The salesperson told me to go to the other end of the lot where they had the used cars. How am I supposed to buy an 'American' car when they don't want my business?

The Aveo is made by Daewoo in South Korea. It was rated worst in a recent evaluation by Consumer Reports.

Daewoo Kalos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ConsumerReports.org - Sedans, Ratings

ConsumerReports.org - Sedans, Chevrolet Aveo

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

A few years back when my Mom was looking to get a new car, I went around to the various dealerships to help narrow down her search for her. None of the "Big Three" dealerships around here seemed to want our business. I'd walk in and tell them generally what I was looking for, and they'd point out the window and say "There are some cars over there you can look at, and if you see anything come back in and we'll talk."

Then I went to our local KIA dealership........I had no sooner exited my car, and a salesman was there to greet me. I explained what I was looking for, and he led me over to that area of the lot and proceeded to show me the various models, and the good and not-so-good points of each. I found what I thought was just about what she was looking for, and later that day I rode back up there with her. She looked over the various models and test drove a couple of them. She chose a shiny new '04 Kia Spectra. She said it was exactly what she had looking for.

The salesman threw in a couple of items for free, and gave her top dollar for her lightly used '97 Buick Century with about 27K miles on it. She was uncomfortable driving the Buick, because she said it was too big for her.....she's kinda small, and my Dad (who was kinda big) bought it to fit himself. Now, 4 years later, she still loves her KIA, and is treated like a queen by the folks at the dealership when she takes it in for routine service.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Not a very good work truck for me, but the '96-'98 Suzuki x90 is pretty odd looking - kinda like it..
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #72

Slimjim, I'd wait till the new malibu is 2 or 3 years old. American cars depreciate at an alarming rate and the best buys are when they take the biggest hit in the first few years.

I remember that the residual value on a 2 year lease on a 2006 Ford Taurus was 50%. I would wait 2 years and pay 1/2 price. On the other hand a Jap car would have a high 70% residual value after 2 years.

I would buy Jap new and American used if it were me. 4 years ago I bought a 1998 Taurus for 4K. I still have under 50K on it and could still get 4 K for it.

Oh yeah, don't lease cars.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Slimjim, I'd wait till the new malibu is 2 or 3 years old. American cars depreciate at an alarming rate and the best buys are when they take the biggest hit in the first few years.

I remember that the residual value on a 2 year lease on a 2006 Ford Taurus was 50%. I would wait 2 years and pay 1/2 price. On the other hand a Jap car would have a high 70% residual value after 2 years.

I would buy Jap new and American used if it were me. 4 years ago I bought a 1998 Taurus for 4K. I still have under 50K on it and could still get 4 K for it.

Oh yeah, don't lease cars.
I'm not in the buying market, I just like the way it looks is all.
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
I'm not in the buying market, I just like the way it looks is all.

Cool, now you have something to look forward to.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #75

That Malibu is a handsome car. BUT, in all the advertising they talk about it being new and better and different and as good as a Camry or Accord. Just like they talked when they introduced the Vega and the Citation (where is the barf smiley when you need it?). I worry that Chevy has again come to market too soon with catch up technology and that they will abandon it before they work the bugs out just like in the past. The only good cars or trucks or SUVs Chevy has made in the last 50 years have had V8s. They keep trying to reinvent the cheap car to compete with the Japanese and never seem to understand that we buy Hondas and Toyotas not because they are cheap but because they are better cars. Because the Malibu does have a pretty face I will keep an open mind and wait five years for any of you who buy them to tell me if the beauty is more than skin deep.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

If I were buying a new car, it would have to be a Honda Accord. I have wasted so much money in the past 27 years on cars. The best car I have ever owned is my Accord sedan, 4 cyl. with automatic.
My second best car is my 1986 baby Mercedes 190 D....37 mpg on the highway...I do not think you can kill a Mercedes diesel.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #77

Researching pretty hard at the moment...had been eyeballing the Hyundai Santa Fe/Tuscon...but with the latest gas drama I decided I could go less "SUV-like" and get something more fuel efficient than the 23 mpg I am getting now in my Stratus with almost 15K miles on it. So...will be test driving (aka renting for the weekend and living my crazy life over the next few mos) the Kia Rio5, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and a Toyota Matrix...winner will be determined by MY comfort since all seem to get pretty darn good reviews and relatively cost the same (+/- $3K) Dealer incentives would only slightly influence unless too fabulous of a deal is offered!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Thing is, is this a good time to buy? With people so concerned about gas prices, I would think that there is probably a run on gas-efficient cars going on.

Yesterday after reading this thread, I momentarily thought of going over to the Toyota dealer. I wonder if he has much selection left on his lot, though, and if he would be willing to come down on the price in a normal fashion (and now the moment of temptation has passed).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in So Cal. We love cars. Usually, I look thru the LA Times on Sunday pretending that I want to buy a new car.....

Unfortunately, we're fully retired and somewhat on a budget. As a result, we need a practical car.

Under the current conditions, we would be interested in the new Corrolla. I think it is good looking (for an economy car) , get's good mileage, practical, and it's got the Toyota reputation.

I have actually bought those "advertised specials" that are offered in the newspapers from some dealerships. If you're patient, you can get a good deal. Anyway, most of the advertised specials for the Corolla are still around $14,500 or $14,999. (these are from dealerships offering "three at this price")

I say this because there are also advertised specials for the Camry and the Altima for $17K. So really, the question for me is this. Is the Camry (or Altima) worth an extra $2k (or $2500)?? In my opinion, yes. I think the Camry and Altima are nice, practical, and larger than the Corrolla. I'm willing to sacrafice a few miles per gallon for a little more room and a little more luxury. Besides, my wife hates the Corrolla.

I might add that I'm prejudice. We own a 2006 Altima. We've been very happy with it. Although we spend the bulk of our driving in the Altima, we also have an 88 Camaro convertible to drive when we feel "impractical".
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #80

I'd sure like to tryout one of these for a few weeks just to see how practical they really are, especially in the winter. Although at $10k it would almost be worth it just for fun.

::: American Electric ::: KURRENT HOME :::

Yesterday I made the rounds, first stop, the post office, then the dentist, then the bank to get a check cashed, then on to the grocery store for some bread, milk and a few other things and then one last stop at the gas station for 2 gallons of juice for the mower. Total trip was 7 miles. It was all city driving at 35 mph or less. This seems to be what most of my driving in retirement is these days.

Not sure how I would get a 2x4 home from Lowes though. :confused: