Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Financedude......I'm not sure, but it takes $48 to fill up the tank and it took me two fill ups to get to Morgantown, NC. I encountered no traffic on the way down and was doing between 70-85 miles/hr. I filled up the car 6 times and it came to give or take 290 bucks......amazing car!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Financedude......I'm not sure, but it takes $48 to fill up the tank and it took me two fill ups to get to Morgantown, NC. I encountered no traffic on the way down and was doing between 70-85 miles/hr. I filled up the car 6 times and it came to give or take 290 bucks......amazing car!
Not bad..... My Honda Accord gets 34-35 at 70mph on cruise with the AC on......which I will take........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjul View Post
I would personally avoid American union made cars and go 3-4 yrs old (someone else eats the depreciation).
The research shows that car quality is not determined by who "builds" the car, but rather who "designs" it. I agree on the 3-4 years comment, although I don't follow it (cars are a hobby of mine).

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The prius will apparently get 80 mpg....

Why You Should Wait Until 2010 to Buy a New Car | EcoGeek
The article says "could", not "will". These articles are notorious for being way wrong.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #105

Oh, dear. Everyone is so...frugal. I'm looking at a Cadillac Escalade because I've always wanted one. I hope I don't get egged or anything, haha.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Oh, dear. Everyone is so...frugal. I'm looking at a Cadillac Escalade because I've always wanted one. I hope I don't get egged or anything, haha.
And waste perfectly good eggs? Not on your life...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #107

Quote:
Sharp vehicle. Got the money go for it!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #108

Quote:
I purchased a Cadillac SRX a few months ago. Since I'm retired, drive little ($50/mo in gas), and "I'm worth it ", I decided to do so.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #109
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Last week I saw TV ads for the Cadillac Escalade, touting its looks and fuel economy.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

We've talked about some of the safety issues with some of the "pug" cars (the Smart car, and it looks like the Toyota iQ will be of similar form). Given that:
-- The front of a car is where a crumple zone is most beneficial
-- The size (volume) of a car doesn't directly affect gas mileage at all. Weight is what matters in mileage. In fact, a small "pug" has a low fineness ratio and will have higher aerodynamic drag and worse mileage at highway speeds than a slightly longer car with more flowing lines. Ultra-tiny cars may be important in Europe where roads were built for asses donkey-carts, but it's not so important in the US.

Having the engine in the front makes it more difficult to design a truly effective crumple zone. Now, if we could get the engine out of the front and use the compartment for luggage, we could maximize the area available for energy absorption in a crash. Much better. We would use a unibody design to save weight. Style: The "suppository look"' is so passe', it is what everyone has been doing for 30 years now. The PT Cruiser and the Chevy HHR have already exhausted the 40's/50's nostalgia. What nobody has done yet is re-visit the optimism and styling cues of the 1960s.

Who should field such a car? GM has the most motivation to get it done and save their company. As it happens, they also already have the designs and tooling for such a car. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the 2009 Corvair! With a small turbodeisel engine and Ralph Nader distracted with his presidential campaign, it could be the thing the bowtie needs to survive.

Contributed as a public service, no royalties requested.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
If we assume $4 (as this trip was recent) per gallon then...

$48 per fill /$4 per gallon X 6 fills = 72 gallons.

This would also work if you said $290 total spent/ $4 per gallon = 72.5 gallons.

So if we go with 72 gallons to travel 1700 miles we get ~23.6 miles per gallon. If this was clear sailing highway mileage, it seems rather unimpressive.

My wife and I just purchased a newer car. A 2007 Hyundai Elantra with everything except power seats including a sunroof. It we paid $13k for it ($14.7 out the door tax/title/license) and we have only filled it once so far. On this first tank we averaged 37.8 mpg. It is very roomy inside (including the back seat) and has a pretty large trunk.

We have only had it about three weeks so far but we are very satisfied to this point. I bought my previous car (1994 Mustang, 6 cyl) 2 years old and drove it for 12 years. I liked that car but it was going to be impractical with a child on the way and was leaking oil and was in need of some repairs.

I looked around quite a bit before getting the Hyundai and it seems Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are commanding quite the premium now. Hyudai's quality is supposed to have increased markedly over the past few years. I guess I will find out.
Johnphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
I purchased a Cadillac SRX a few months ago. Since I'm retired, drive little ($50/mo in gas), and "I'm worth it ", I decided to do so.

- Ron
Ron--the SRX is a beaut; congrats. I'm currently driving a CTS which I love, but I want the 'Lade as my retirement gift to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Last week I saw TV ads for the Cadillac Escalade, touting its looks and fuel economy.
I agree that it's a looker, but fuel economy....um, no. (However I'm like Ron and don't drive much so the fuel econ isn't a thang.)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #113
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Ron--the SRX is a beaut; congrats. I'm currently driving a CTS which I love, but I want the 'Lade as my retirement gift to me.

I agree that it's a looker, but fuel economy....um, no. (However I'm like Ron and don't drive much so the fuel econ isn't a thang.)
Quote:
Cadillac Escalade: Specs: Curb Weight: Gas Mileage

** Based on 2008 Ward's Large Luxury SUV segment. EPA estimated MPG (2WD) 12 city/19 hwy.
Won't fit in my garage; almost as big as my living room.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #114

Quote:
Why? It's just a gussied-up Tahoe. Get something nice like a Lexus instead!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Hey, it may be gussied-up but the Escalade is a really gorgeous vehicle!! If the gas prices eventually lower the Escalade price sufficiently to interest me, I might think about getting one too.

I think the prices are still coming down from where they are now. Right now they are still too much to interest me.

On the other hand, the Lexus is pretty gorgeous too.... But the Escalade could drop in price so that the dealers could get them off the lots, and I doubt that would happen with the Lexus.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #116

if SUV prices are still so low, i might looking at getting one next year. i don't drive for work and my wife drives very little for work. the lower cost will make up for the higher gas prices.

even if the rest of the GM truck based SUV's are pieces of junk like a 2005 Explorer that i'm driving this week, still might be worth it if the out the door price is less than $10,000
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
RX series are just gussied up station wagon versions of the Avalon with big wheels and one of those raise your car height kit the rednecks used to do back in the day.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hmmm...well. I've owned both a Tahoe and a Lexus. I think I'll go with the Escalade this time. (And if you really think it's just "gussied up", you should test drive them both. 295 Hp vs 403 Hp. )
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
RX series are just gussied up station wagon versions of the Avalon with big wheels and one of those raise your car height kit the rednecks used to do back in the day.
And I believe the RX is built on the Camry chassis.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #120

Quote:
And I believe the RX is built on the Camry chassis.
Already better than any GM product . . .

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote