Join Early Retirement Today

If you were buying a car today...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you were buying a car today...

If you were buying a car today, what would you buy? And Why?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Either a Prius, or possibly a Honda Fit...but would wait for the Fit Hybrid to come out...supposed to be out in the autumn.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Honda hands down. Love our local dealer and its best the the country service department.

We have had Civics for 20 years and have a 1998 with 150000 miles. Around 35 miles per gallon on average. We just got a 4cyl Accord for traveling and it is getting 30 mpg.

The complexities of the hybrids and lack of track record for repairability keeps me away. I would rather reduce driving than spend the $$$ for the cache of the hybrid name.
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A high-end small SUV with a 6-cylinder engine. I need to be able to drive through flooded streets with impugnity, but I want luxurious comfort whenever I drive. I only drive about 7,000 miles a year, so I don't care about gas mileage. I do expect to average over 20 MPG though. I want the dealership to lick my boots when I come in for service.

I would be looking at Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Probably a 4-cylinder silver Camry Solara like my old one, but brand new and with a sunroof! But I'd test drive a Camry and a Highlander, too.

Why as Solara? I am especially thrilled with its reliability and longevity, as well as gas mileage, and I love the way it handles even if edmunds.com says its handling isn't sporty enough for them. Four cylinders gives me more acceleration than I ever seem to need in something the size of a Solara. I am still thrilled with my present Solara after eight years, and that has really biased me in favor of Solaras.

Gas really is not a big enough factor in my case to inspire me to move to a hybrid. My 8-year-old Solara has only 35,300 miles on it and the way I drive it, it gets around 31-33 mpg in the city, 34-36 on the highway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Over here in the UK Diesel has just hit $12 a gallon. Yes, $12 a gallon.

We love smaller cars and don't see many Hummers around.

Seat Ibiza ecomotive would be my choice, or the new ultra economical VW cars.

Hybrids? OK in towns but cruise along on the motorways and they seem to burn as much gas as any other car.
ashtondav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Leaning toward a Toyota Yaris, but also considering Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Scion xD, Kia Rio5 or Spectra5. Would like to replace pickup as daily driver.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I need to be able to drive through flooded streets with impugnity
Does it flood often in your area? What state do you drive in most? Now I am wondering if you are a fellow Louisianian.

I haven't actually needed an SUV for driving around here yet (usually just take another route when confronted by flood waters, or stay home), but there have been times when being up high like that would have provided me with an extra feeling of security whether needed or not.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Leaning toward a Toyota Yaris, but also considering Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Scion xD, Kia Rio5 or Spectra5. Would like to replace pickup as daily driver.
Get the Honda Fit! A friend at work has one and is CRAZY about it. She can't believe how much she can carry in it.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #10

I think a while back the feds would give you a tax credit (3K or 5K) for hybrid purchase. In addition, my state would waive sales tax and some towns would waive property tax. If I could get that deal now I would buy a hybrid otherwise a honda or toyota getting 35MPG.

I'm considering an electric motor installation on my bicycle to handle the hills on my way to the grocery store and back.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #11

I'd get one of these: Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester. If one of them was a hybrid, it would rate higher than the others.

I have a Toyota Camry with 37K miles but it doesn't meet my needs for carrying larger items which is why I'm looking at these other cars.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #12

It would be a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic because of their gas mileage and reliability. Hybrid is great for mileage but battery longevity and cost of replacement are of concern.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I love the functionality of small trucks. The only two true small trucks left in the new vehicle market today are the Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series, which are basically clones. I suppose I would get one of those, but they are so old of a platform. I really wish the other manufactures would get away from the bloated mid and full size trucks, and offer something newer, and smaller.

I have an 04 Nissan Frontier, that was the last before the current upsized Frontier model. Hopefully it will last me until smaller trucks come back in style/demand.
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #14

BIL has a Nissan Frontier & likes it. There's a good chance that or something like it will be my next pickup truck.

I'd look very hard at Hyundai, the warranty is (without reading the fine print yet) impressive. Also a new/used motorcyle in the 250 - 650 cc range for nice days and short trips.

Hybrids are still newish technology and in my mind remain unproven - I want to see what their amortized costs are 15-20 years out because that's how long I usually keep a car. Dealers seem to go into hush mode when asked about replacing batteries and when.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #15

I REALLY like my current Chevy HHR, so I'd be very inclined to snag another one......IF I were in the market. I still keep pondering getting a full-size PU to have in addition to the HHR. I can haul most stuff that I need to in the HHR (including 8' long dimensional lumber), but a PU would be nice for hauling bigger and/or heavier stuff like 4'x8' plywood, rocks, bulk mulch, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I'm considering an electric motor installation on my bicycle to handle the hills on my way to the grocery store and back.
My Dad had one on his adult trike, and loved it. He only used it to assist on hills.....because he really enjoyed the peddling. It was mounted in front of the handlebars, and had a lever similar to a handbrake lever that would turn on the motor & lower the drive wheel onto the front tire. IIRC, it was designed to be used with a small motorcycle battery, but we had a fullsize car battery in the garage, so he bought a plastic battery box for it and sat it in the big ol' basket over the rear end. Says he wanted the bigger battery for the extra juice, in case he decided to run away from home.

After he passed away a friend of mine bought it to haul his fishing gear.....and beer.....down the long trail to his favorite fishing hole. He said after fishing all day, and consuming a fair quantity of beer, he really didn't feel like peddling home again.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
I'd look very hard at Hyundai, the warranty is (without reading the fine print yet) impressive.
The reliability of Hyundai has improved significantly over years. The warranty (100K miles) may boost consumer confidence. The price of their cars is slightly lower than that of their counterparts. The only thing that I do like is that their cars still use rubber timing belts even though they are quieter in their operation but less durable when compared with a chain system
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #17

Some kind of hybrid crossover or mid sized SUV. I need more room for traveling.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kind of funny, but I'm going to be the exception to the rule.

I retired early last year (age 59) and had no desire to get another car. I have a '02 Mustang vert (which is my "baby" and does not come out unless the sun is shining) and a '01 Impala; my DW's car which I use for my volunter work of delivering meals-on-wheels.

When a local Cadillac dealer retire/sold his dealership last fall, the "acquiring dealership" had a list of '07 leftover cars they were offering. I had always intended to get an "old man's car" (Cadillac Sedan) when I turned 70 (or there about) with a big old Northstar V8, but they had an '07SRX on the list. I had an SUV in the past ('00 Olds Bravada) which I had for my wife when I still worked overseas and wanted her to have a 4-wheel "winter car", but I did not like it (since it was on the S10 truck body).

However, the Cadillac SRX (crossover, based upon the CTS small sedan) rode nice and had all the "toys". This one had a V6 (rather than the Northstar 320HP) and listed close to $50k (with the Northsar, add another $5-6K).

We did not come up with a deal (we agreed to disagree).

Anyway, in January of this year I was looking at the classic cars on eBay (as I always do) and just for the heck of it, I looked at available SRX's. There were a few that caught my attention - even to the point of me placing a "low ball" bid on a few of them. In fact, I "won" 2 bids, but did not meet the minimum (nor was interested in raising my bid).

Just so happens, an SRX came up in February, and had previously been bid in January, but did not meet the reserve price; however it had 30+ bids, so the interest was there. It was a one owner, off lease car.

I went ahead and bid on it, $100 over the previous high bid. Interesting enough, I remained the only bidder (I guess folks were starting to get worred about the gas, since it had the Northstar).

Anyway, I won the car (from a Cadillac dealer and the car was Cadillac certified - bumper to bumper warranty till the end of '10) and had it delivered.

For most folks, this would be a "stupid transaction". For me, being retired and only putting on 200 mi/mo since February, and getting a fantastic car (IMHO) it was a dream come true.

Like I said, not most/folks could get by on a car with low MPG, but in "my life" it works ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I really like the Mazda line right now. The CX-9 (or Ford Edge) looks better than my Pilot, though I don't need something that big after this week's move so I might consider the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape--possibly the hybrid Escape.

I love the looks of the Mazda3, though I would like a car that small to get better gas mileage. A hardtop Miata would be a nice replacement for my ragtop (though I'm also liking a Ford Mustang as a convertible replacement). The Mazda6 hatchback looks nice and functional, though since the Mazda3 came out I don't look at the 6 as much anymore.

I'm hoping I've got a few years left on both my Pilot and Miata. I'm not even certain if I'd try to get down to one car at some point, or keep a good AWD car and a fun convertible. But I always do try to keep in mind what I'd get as my next car in case I got in an accident or for some other reason needed to decide on a new car fairly quickly.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It depends on what your needs were... so here is a long list I would consider... in no particular order...

Toyota Camry, Corolla, Rav4 and Highlander..... might even look at their minivan if the lady of the house wanted it...

Honda... the same as above... Accord, Civic, CRV 200and Pilot...

Hyundai.... Elentra and Sonata... And their mid sized SUV... drove their small on last weekend and was not impressed at all with its engine power...

This is only because of reading a lot on this forum and seeing it in the auto show... but the 2009 Forrester looked real nice...

AS FOR the Hyundai warranty..... it is IIRC 5 year or 60K miles bumper to bumper... and 10 year 100K power train... but we asked 'what does that cover'.... the answer... 'anything that touches oil'.... SO, this does not include the transmission or any drive shafts or anything bolted to the engine (air conditioner, power steering, etc....)... so think of the engine block and heads as the only thing covered in their power train warranty... still, very impressed with the cars...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote