If You Were in Your mid-40s

I was more wondering if Turboslacker had any special rules for the timing of stock sales or determining which stocks to sell, if he has a temporary bucket that gets refilled, etc.

Last edited:
I'm 47 and planning on retirement in 2 years...

Current AA is 70/30, planning on having equities between 60% and 65% when I pull the plug.

I'm mid-40s, planning on retiring in the next 1-3 years. I'm currently at an 80/20 (stocks/bonds) asset allocation and have no plans to adjust that significantly before retirement - maybe drop down to 75/25 or even 70/30, but still pretty heavy in equities.

The biggest risk to a long retirement seems to be taking a big hit to your portfolio in the first few years. If that happens to me I can easily pick up some part time work to tide me over, so it's not a great concern to me, hence the relatively high equities exposure.

The biggest risk to a long retirement seems to be taking a big hit to your portfolio in the first few years. If that happens to me I can easily pick up some part time work to tide me over, so it's not a great concern to me, hence the relatively high equities exposure.

We are going to keep 3+ years of living expenses in cash (or cash equivalents) to avoid selling equities at a loss in the first 5-10 years of retirement.

If things really go south and we have an extended bear market, going back to work is plan B.

Back
Top Bottom