Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

While I definitely think you should spend more, I don't think you need to spend 30k more to have amazing travel experiences. Spend some time on flyertalk or some of the frequent flier mile blogs and figure out the many ways people can travel with little out of pocket. It is not difficult to amass several hundred of thousands of miles/points if you are willing to open a few credit cards.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting thread as I have similar issues/struggles with spending. Although my pension exceeds annual expenses, it is difficult to crank up the spending after living somewhat frugally over the years. I retired in March 2008, and investments have almost doubled since then.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting thread - depending on the individual. I experienced a variety of 'feelings' toward spending over 20 yrs of ER. Hindsight says I was overly cheap/frugal early in ER being worried whether it would last and whether I could endure the ups and downs of my portfolio. As time in the market greatly improved my circumstances I was uncomfortably spending more as FireCalc , ORP, and the 4% rule indicated I was safe. But breaking my old perceived 'frugal' was at first painful.

Unplanned events - some well paid temp work early, Katrina, getting married and finally getting to the point mentally (you can't take it with you) has allowed my spending to loosen up as it were. The onset of RMD with the IRS taking their cut has affected my mental williness to spend more.

heh heh heh - so far health issues of significance have not surfaced - knock on wood.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjoe View Post
While I definitely think you should spend more, I don't think you need to spend 30k more to have amazing travel experiences. Spend some time on flyertalk or some of the frequent flier mile blogs and figure out the many ways people can travel with little out of pocket. It is not difficult to amass several hundred of thousands of miles/points if you are willing to open a few credit cards.
+1000, and not just for the OPs sake (they have plenty of money to burn). I haven't paid for a hotel room in two years now, all financed by points earned from credit card bonus offers.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
+1000, and not just for the OPs sake (they have plenty of money to burn). I haven't paid for a hotel room in two years now, all financed by points earned from credit card bonus offers.
In 2012 I had a two week holiday that involved a luxury 10 day Caribbean cruise (with my own balcony stateroom) plus three days in Florida. I live in British Columbia. The total cost was under $1000, including flights. Points covered the rest. I had a blast. I also own a fractional vacation property and this buys me some very economical vacations.

If the OP expects to spend $30,000 per year on travel, even for a couple, she must be planning some very high end or exotic trips.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In 2012 I had a two week holiday that involved a luxury 10 day Caribbean cruise (with my own balcony stateroom) plus three days in Florida. I live in British Columbia. The total cost was under $1000, including flights. Points covered the rest...
Darn, I thought my wife knew how and where to look for deals, but her skills have been slipping.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

My advice... read my signature.