Join Early Retirement Today

Ignorance is bliss?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ignorance is bliss?

Everybody knows someone like this. Generous to a fault. Very much in the present. Does not plan or worry. Happy with what ever fate brings them.
In a way, I am jealous. To live entirely in the present is something have never been able to master. Money to them is meaningless, as is preparing for the future. I think some of these people are truly happy, living life for the moment and truly fearless about what the future may bring. The dark side about being a planner is it can be driven by fear & worry. Anyone else have that happy-go-lucky friend or relative who is a financial disaster? By and large they are extremely fun people to be around, but you tend not to find them on ER forums.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of my European friends are this way. They know that the Government will provide for their retirement, so they don't worry about a thing.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, know plenty. I am a planner, trying to retire at fifty. Driven by worry, fear etc. I cannot get myself to live in the present and will pay for it someday. They are great to hang with, till they ask to borrow money!
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I try to set stuff up on auto pilot so I don't have to "worry" about anything. That is not to say I don't have to expend energy to manage my investments, but I don't worry about it. Life is too short, and I'll be able to ER some day, why worry about when that will happen exactly?

Of course I make plenty of money and have a large investment portfolio that could likely support me indefinitely in some agreeable manner of existence. That always helps
Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Most of my European friends are this way. They know that the Government will provide for their retirement, so they don't worry about a thing.
If a country can make this work (IF) that's great -- provides for the pursuit of happiness. I think a few of them are still succeeding but several others are on the ropes.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go spend a day at a Food bank.....you'll find out that many that thought themselves happy are now very sad to watch. I worry, save and darn glad I do it. I do know others, one a member of my family, that don't worry.......the sad news is I worry for them. Oh well, I'm happier this way.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

As I said to my late wife, vis-a-vis a friend of hers, who was/is of this mindset: "The people who say "It's only money" are the people who don't have any."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ah, sounds like "The Ant and the Grasshopper."
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think some portray themselves as no worries, happy go lucky people externally, but they always have that cognitive dissonance with their internal feelings of worrying about things and the future. But instead of trying to address the issues that concern them, they continue with the seamless facade externally, because critically discussing the issues that worry them would be too painful.

That isn't just a problem with respect to financial issues. Health, relationship, etc
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
Everybody knows someone like this. Generous to a fault. Very much in the present. Does not plan or worry. Happy with what ever fate brings them.
In a way, I am jealous. To live entirely in the present is something have never been able to master. Money to them is meaningless, as is preparing for the future. I think some of these people are truly happy, living life for the moment and truly fearless about what the future may bring. The dark side about being a planner is it can be driven by fear & worry. Anyone else have that happy-go-lucky friend or relative who is a financial disaster? By and large they are extremely fun people to be around, but you tend not to find them on ER forums.
I had a dog like that. Very lovable and he knew I'd take care of him. We got along great as long as he knew I was the leader of the pack. A perfect benevolent authoritarian relationship.

Now that he is gone, I try to emulate some of his most beloved traits. Living in the moment, but still have not mastered this. Maybe I should become a day trader?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Administrator

I find that I worry less -- about anything -- when I am well prepared.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What, me worry?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, this hits home like a sledgehammer. I retired in June (age 50) and DW is going half time until she wants to quit full time (48). She is currently spending four weeks in Las Vegas with her parents, the classic "ignorance is bliss" folks, who are now figuring out that perhaps their decades of ignorance was, in fact, foolishness. DW is sad for them and wants to help; I, of course, don't want her to sacrifice all she has accomplished. Her parents chose their path. Now: reap!

And I am angry. And sad. And I want her to come home.

What an uplifting first post!
mattbaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Anyone else have that happy-go-lucky friend or relative who is a financial disaster? By and large they are extremely fun people to be around, but you tend not to find them on ER forums.

A brother, 60 years old.
Intelligent, articulate, well educated.
Has never held a job in his life that was appropriate to his abilities,and frequently unemployed.
Now "homeless", living on a 27' sailboat.

Lots of fun to hang out with.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Sure, worrying is good. It gets you to prepare for the future, to make plan for contingencies. Most of us here have done that.

But now, I feel I need to sit back and to say that no matter what I have done, there will always be some uncertainties, and I have to stop worrying. Can't get all that worrying interferes with my joy of life, what I have left anyway.

In so many threads here, whenever the question of longevity comes up, people always say they plan for a life of 95 or 100 years. I am not so optimistic for myself. I figure that if I even get to 80, I doubt that I would need that much money or care about anything more.

I am going to enjoy life more now and to stop worrying.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
....(snip)...
In so many threads here, whenever the question of longevity comes up, people always say they plan for a life of 95 or 100 years. I am not so optimistic for myself. I figure that if I even get to 80, I doubt that I would need that much money or care about anything more.
In the tools I've run and written, they all go up to only the our early 80's. I figure on Plan B if we get that far and things fall apart. Most of those FIRECalc lines ultimately go up and to the right. What, me worry? ... A. Neuman.
Quote:
I am going to enjoy life more now and to stop worrying.
You do realize, I hope, that now you can only participate in threads here that are of the happy sort.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

To worry and to be gloomy are two different things.

I have been through a few bad and scary periods in life, so I never worry that much about financial stuff. I often say that I could be losing everything and be living in a little motor home and I would not be any unhappier.

I will stop worrying, but like to remain gloomy, even if I am enjoying life now. I don't know it that makes sense to other people, but I see no contradiction in that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I find that I worry less -- about anything -- when I am well prepared.
+1

Another take on that: "Be concerned about everything, worry about nothing." The underlying idea is that if you are concerned, you will take reasonable precautions, lessening the worry. And once the precautions are in place, what is gained by worrying? Move on to the next thing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can relate. An ex-girlfriend was like what you describe below. She would never open a bank statement, had to spend her 401k plan for a trip. I had to leave this relationship, could not take it any longer.
Quote:
Anyone else have that happy-go-lucky friend or relative who is a financial disaster? By and large they are extremely fun people to be around, but you tend not to find them on ER forums.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh yes. There is a couple we have been friends with for years. Always rented the cheapest tumbledown house in town. Husband had a great job, but spent every dime on silly stuff or gave it away. Ran credit cards (numerous) to the maximum. Moved to the west coast, lived with their kids. Wife inherited enough to set them up with a small home. Nope. Went through it in a year.
Are they happy people? Yep.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote