Ignorance is Scary

The engine in my RV is a big block 454. I think some Chevy trucks or the Suburban used the same engine. The difference might be the huge cooling system, and a beefier transmission to handle the GCWR of 16,000 lbs.

I used to have an '89 Plymouth Gran Fury that used to be a police car. I don't think its radiator was any bigger, but I do remember it having an external cooler for the oil, as well as the transmission fluid...tubes running through these little miniature radiator-looking things.

Chrysler used to make what was called "Industrial" versions of their engines, which were often used in heavier duty trucks, and they'd have a number after them indicating how beefed-up they were. For instance, whereas a passenger car engine might just be a 440, the industrial version might be a 440-1, 440-2, or 440-3. Or something like that. I'd imagine that GM did the same thing, so that the 454 in my grandmother's old lady friend's '75 Impala is a whole different best from what would have gone in a medium-duty truck.

IIRC, the industrial engines tended to be cammed differently, so they'd get more torque, and at a lower rpm, but lose some horsepower.

So funny I read through this and forgot what the original thread was about.
I remember talking about silly neighbors and their financial mistakes.....then we got sidetracked about trucks vs. Prius. Which I would like to make a comment ....the problem with buying a Prius.....is you own .....a Prius. JK...not really.

Anyway I am enjoying this thread.

Well I own and drive a Ford F150 supercrew, 2010 model which I bought and traded a 6 yrs old Subaru Outback. It is quite ponderous and massive. I paid the difference with cash and thus had no loan. I found it to be one of the most practical vehicle to drive, even if I don't have to carry much or pull a boat, etc.
I live in the upper Midwest and snow drifts can occur many times during the winter. In the summer I carry grass every week after mowing. I also carry leaves during the fall. I put my bike in the truck bed to the nearest park every now and then. I found the long distance travel more comfy than a car, and I only drive about 12 miles a day. There's a few 450 mile trip to the nearest city, but that's not every week.
I know a vehicle should last 200K miles, but after 100K miles with this one, The new Ford 150 aluminum truck looks enticing.

I had a 1984 Chevy Blazer that I junked in 2003 with over 451,000 miles on the odometer. I changed the engine oil approx. every 6000 miles myself , never changed transmission fluid or rear end oil.....

Personally its my believe that changing the oil frequently especially in the first year of a car helps it last longer.
So I've always changed it 2x per year, even if I only drove 6K miles on that vehicle in the year.

Since I did it myself, the cost was cheap as I'll buy cases of oil on a good sale, last case was $1 per quart for blended Castrol. I find it hard to trust the work done in those quick change places as its easy for them to stick in cheap oil or cheap filters, and going to a real garage takes much longer than DIY.

Back
Top Bottom