Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I wonder if there are big truck forums where members make fun of their retired neighbor who drives a 1999 Camry and actually paid a mechanic to replace the fuel pump?
Hey now I drive a 1999 Camry and am retired. Maybe I need to peruse some big truck forums and see if anyone is making fun of me. I don't really have any nearby neighbors with big trucks though most have newer cars/suv's. I do pay a mechanic to do maintenance and repairs on my car. I have an even older "truck", a 1996 Dakota. I really chuckle over the vehicles that are called trucks now. When I was a kid a truck hauled logs and pickups were what many families drove for personal vehicles.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Hey now I drive a 1999 Camry and am retired. Maybe I need to peruse some big truck forums and see if anyone is making fun of me. I don't really have any nearby neighbors with big trucks though most have newer cars/suv's. I do pay a mechanic to do maintenance and repairs on my car. I have an even older "truck", a 1996 Dakota. I really chuckle over the vehicles that are called trucks now. When I was a kid a truck hauled logs and pickups were what many families drove for personal vehicles.
An old truck that runs is still a truck that can haul things. One of the reasons many people pay for furniture delivery, landscaping services, etc... is because they don't have a way to haul the materials. If I had a truck, I'd be the one fixing my fences with new crossbeams and posts, planting new trees, leveling spots in the yard, putting in drainage, etc... Unfortunately, I don't have a truck (and perhaps more importantly, the time to do those things).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
An old truck that runs is still a truck that can haul things. One of the reasons many people pay for furniture delivery, landscaping services, etc... is because they don't have a way to haul the materials. If I had a truck, I'd be the one fixing my fences with new crossbeams and posts, planting new trees, leveling spots in the yard, putting in drainage, etc... Unfortunately, I don't have a truck (and perhaps more importantly, the time to do those things).
You are so right on that! It is really nice to have a vehicle that I can just load a large item into and go. These days it is largely used for my gardening activities at a couple community gardens and delivering fresh produce we grow to a local food bank.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Most of the stories here is why Dave Ramsey does so well. <snip>Unfortunately, most of the rest of the population are still struggling to understand "Debt is Dumb." This is the basic message of his program with an actual way to get out of debt. I have personally sent many people in the kind of situation described in this thread to his Financial Peace classes.

I've read a couple of his books and occasionally listen to his radio show. I've never taken Financial Peace but the last time I had any debt other than a mortgage was in 1976 when newly wed DW showed me her car note. She watched me write a check to pay it off and I said we don't do car loans.
I agree- DR is oversimplified (many of us here deliberately opt for borrowing in order to keep $$$ in investments that return at a higher rate that the lender charges), but a huge % of the population needs his approach. A couple of years ago when pledges were down at our church and many people were saying they were having a hard time financially, I got agreement to have an FPU class and had one other woman who was going to help me teach it. I spent a few hundred $$ having beautiful flyers printed up and having a big sign made for the church lawn.

Two people signed up. We gave up and tried again 6 months later and couldn't get enough people to agree on what night/time worked for them. The class never happened. And the ones who had said they were having a hard time were not the ones who had signed up.

When DS got married, it turned out that DDIL, who worked managing inventory for a Toyota dealer, had bought her SUV with a loan. I'm sure she got a good deal on it and it 's a reasonable-sized SUV- I forget what model. DS called me once and asked about taking a loan from his 401(k) to pay off her car loan (interest rate 2%). I told him to keep the car loan! Fortunately, DDIL is very good with money, and I kind of like the fact that they have DS' beater, bought with cash, for his daily commute, and a more substantial, newish car for carting around my wonderful baby granddaughter!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
A few years ago I purposely let go of my last pickup truck (1979 F150) and also the SUV with the intention that I would have purchases delivered and would not do it myself any longer. I got my use out of those and no longer had the frequency of use that made the upkeep and bad gas mileage and insurance worth it. For smaller items, we bought a Fit that holds a reasonable amount of small stuff.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
A few years ago I purposely let go of my last pickup truck (1979 F150) and also the SUV with the intention that I would have purchases delivered and would not do it myself any longer. I got my use out of those and no longer had the frequency of use that made the upkeep and bad gas mileage and insurance worth it. For smaller items, we bought a Fit that holds a reasonable amount of small stuff.
I got rid of a pickup truck years ago, too. I have one of those cheap folding Harbor Freight trailers that fold in half and stand in my garage. It does 99% of what I want and if I need something bigger I can rent a truck at Home Depot for 20 bucks an hour or have something delivered.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Most people only make decisions based on cash flow (can I afford the payment). I have an ex wife like this, and Al has a neighbor like that too.
You're probably right - I've seen too much of that to disagree. My ex was that way too. It is the reason we divorced (in fairness to her it was amicable, none of the revenge-seeking behavior seen so often). But I just didn't see any future in living paycheck-to-paycheck for the rest of my life. Otherwise she was very intelligent so the behavior was extremely confounding and frustrating to me.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Absolutely. They even have kits to make diesels deliberately spew out soot onto less than macho vehicles like Prius and others.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post

I think hating on the Prius is kind of silly, plus SOME of us old hippies might be armed...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Love that. Will always have a truck.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #71

Not trying to derail and go off topic, there is a reason Prius get made fun of - the owners will not step on the gas for fear of causing 0.01 mpg less. I have a friend with one, he calls it "the golf cart" and he has it because it is fairly cheap to drive as commuter. Prius are fine if that is what you want. Big truck is fine if that is what you want. It's a free country and both owners can be happy.

Smug pollution from a Prius is just as bad as the rolling coal from diesel trucks.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looks like the Prius is winning?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I think hating on the Prius is kind of silly, plus SOME of us old hippies might be armed...
Harassing any other driver, regardless of the vehicles involved, is pretty silly and yes you never know who is armed.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Harassing any other driver, regardless of the vehicles involved, is pretty silly and yes you never know who is armed.
That's the truth.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Not trying to derail and go off topic, there is a reason Prius get made fun of - the owners will not step on the gas for fear of causing 0.01 mpg less.
I think the Prius gets made fun of the most simply because it's the most popular of the hybrids. Personally, I think anything with a semblance of a trip computer can be annoying, because it can encourage the same effect.

I used to have an '88 LeBaron turbo coupe that had a trip computer, and currently have a 2000 Park Avenue Ultra with a trip computer, and I'll admit I've been guilty of trying to hypermile the things, to see how high I can get the mpg readout.

I also have a 2012 Ram Hemi with cylinder deactivation. One of the displays toggles through the odometer, the two trip odometers, the outside temp, and a setting that says "ECO". When it goes into 4-cyl mode, it'll say "ECO ON". I know it sounds counterintuitive, buying something with a Hemi and then trying to hypermile it...but I've tried it.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I have mentioned it here before, in regards to ignorant people, but I used to have a neighbor whose retirement plan was to inherit his uncle's gold coin collection and sell it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of the first rule of human stupidity:

Quote:
Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid people in circulation.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
$2500 ESTIMATED repairs to a 13 year old car is an old trick by the dealers to unsophisticated owners (I've seen it happen: 1999 Saturn, 100K miles, Est maintenance $4,000).

Sure hope he doesn't go over the mileage limit on the lease and that it's in "new" condition when turned in or he will be in for additional costs.
Years ago a (thrifty) co-worker shared this story with me. His new bride had an excess mileage fee of several thousand dollars when she turned in the vehicle she had leased prior to meeting my co-worker. He said she had "no idea" of the mileage limitation and he had to show her and explain what the vehicle odometer was!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have mentioned it here before, in regards to ignorant people, but I used to have a neighbor whose retirement plan was to inherit his uncle's gold coin collection and sell it.
Sadly, that is not far from DW's siblings plan...no need to save for retirement, their mother (and what is left from estate when she passes) will cover it. What is worse, they also want her to spend her money on them today (e.g. invite her on a vacation and then tell her she has to pay for their meals/lodging). At not just pay for them... but slip them her credit card so it looks like they are paying, for whomever they are trying to impress.

To me, it isn't their financial ignorance that is scary. It is their financial ignorance with refusal to want to learn or change things from their experiences. They have gone from mocking our LBYM lifestyle to mocking us for "making them look bad" simply because we have stayed married (all have or are going thru at least one divorce) and are financially solvent. One of her sisters recently told DW that the only reason we were still married and didn't have money issues was because (a) I was "too dumb" to divorce her and (b) she (DW) can't appreciate the "finer things" in life.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I was in a Macy's department store a few years back and overheard two women in their twenties talking about some clothes that were on sale. They spent about 10 minutes trying desperately (and not succeeding) to figure out how much a sweater would cost that was on sale for 15% off the $50 original price. It was one of those funny/sad moments.

-BB
"That % thing, is that, like, some kind of dollar sign?"
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote