Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Her only way to resume her previous life style is to find someone with at least the income as her ex-DH that's happy to let her spend freely.
Apparently that's exactly what she did. To my knowledge they're still married.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Apparently that's exactly what she did. To my knowledge they're still married.
For now.... unless he has sufficient assets/income that she can spend at whatever level she finds comfortable. One wonders (or perhaps just us LBYMers) how spending - in and of itself - can provide any sort of enjoyment. Money is a tool to buy things you need, and sometimes things you want.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #123

A corollary to being financially ignorant: Spending too much on something because it's supposedly on sale. Years ago one of my employees bought a new dining room set for something like $10,000. That's not a misprint. But he told me it was too good a deal to pass up, because he was saving $5000.
He was my employee, so I knew how much he made; no way he could have afforded that. Oh, wait, it didn't matter -- he just put it on his credit card.

But he did save $5000..........
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
A corollary to being financially ignorant: Spending too much on something because it's supposedly on sale. Years ago one of my employees bought a new dining room set for something like $10,000. That's not a misprint. But he told me it was too good a deal to pass up, because he was saving $5000.
I loved that one. My ex used that reason often and one SIL still does. The ex went shopping one time and was exalting that she'd "saved" 40% off everything. I asked how much she'd have saved if she'd stayed home. That did not go over well.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best car we had was a Toyota Tercel SR5 hatchback purchased as a bank repo. Teamed it with a 5x10 trailer. 4x4, manual transmission, great gas mileage. We hauled several trailer loads of gravel/sand at very slow speeds on the backroads while working on houses with that. Drove it till the engine went out. Bought another used engine and drove it another 4 years until the transmission gave out. Then we let it go to someone else for a few hundred. Would love to get another one if I could find one in great shape!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Prius is SOOO 2007. The new rage in these parts is the Nissan Leaf. I used to see lots of Prius's's but the Leafs have definitely taken over. With the incredible incentives that the feds give you *and* the VERY generous incentives from the state of Georgia, it's almost *stupid* to not buy one (notice I said ALMOST).

Although, you had better like it because I don't think the used car market for them will be very good since you can get them so cheap brand new.

My first car was an '81 Toyota Starlet hatchback. Quite similar to a Corolla but it was rear wheel drive and although I don't remember what the mileage was, I do know I could drop $5 in the tank (gas was about 80 cents a gallon in 91/92) and drive for several days...which when you are 16-17 years old could be many miles a day! When gas was approaching $5 a gallon, I start to hunt for another one...and guess what? Good luck finding one...they have quite the cult following and finding one in good shape is going to cost a pretty penny.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never been a big fan of the VW bug, though they were well made back in the day. They just never got impressive fuel economy.

Now, the VW diesel is another story. I have been driving one (at first a Rabbit diesel pickup, later a 91 Jetta diesel) for the last 20 years of my wretched commute. They are simple as dirt to work on and get close to 50 mpg.

I would put the Jetta up against a Geo/Chevy Metro any day in a demolition derby, There's just no "there" there in a Metro...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

One of my family members is lbym on everything except autos. Mid price not luxury, but every 2 years there's a brand new vehicle.

They said they were done with new cars but 6 months later there's a new vehicle to replace the 1.5 yo car. A great explanation, the other one had an issue that the dealership couldn't fix, what else could we do? I thought what they described was an inconvenience, but wasn't listening very well. I asked about lemon laws then just shut up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That's not just ignorance; it's stupidity, and love of complaining for its own sake. I have a lot to say against condo board members, but wanting high dues (which they also pay) is not among them.

Amethyst
I read this quote this morning. You reminded me.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the lack of thought.
Unknown
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
...........Although, you had better like it because I don't think the used car market for them will be very good since you can get them so cheap brand new..........
Electric cars depreciate by the amount of the rebate when you drive it off the lot.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Ignorance is only scary from the viewpoint of an informed observer. To the perp, ignorance is still bliss.

So, avert your eyes. Do not look.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #133
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Years ago a (thrifty) co-worker shared this story with me. His new bride had an excess mileage fee of several thousand dollars when she turned in the vehicle she had leased prior to meeting my co-worker. He said she had "no idea" of the mileage limitation and he had to show her and explain what the vehicle odometer was!

I know a young lady that took her car into the dealer ship for a minor repair and they asked if she would like to do an oil change. It was due. She replied, "no thanks, my car runs on gas!" You can't make this stuff up!
TuffNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffNuts View Post
I know a young lady that took her car into the dealer ship for a minor repair and they asked if she would like to do an oil change. It was due. She replied, "no thanks, my car runs on gas!" You can't make this stuff up!
Lord help her if she ever replaces her oil cap...she'll be at the parts counter asking them to order her a new "710"!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

First car was 62 bug convertible. In central FL the top had a tendency to mildew. All in all, I have owned 3 bugs and a VW Thing. Loved them all.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffNuts View Post
A friend is the service manager at a Toyota dealership. A customer had their car towed in when the oil pressure light came on. Very little oil in the crankcase and 100K miles on the odometer. She was asked "when did you last change the oil?". Response "Change oil?". Apparently they changed oil, did a few basic tests (like compression) and told her to come back in 500 miles for a further look. Never saw her again. He says his retirement project will be to find that car, tear the engine down and see what it's like inside.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #137
Administrator

I have a colleague who took her monster luxury SUV to the dealer to get the clock reset when we switched to daylight savings time.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
A friend is the service manager at a Toyota dealership. A customer had their car towed in when the oil pressure light came on. Very little oil in the crankcase and 100K miles on the odometer. She was asked "when did you last change the oil?". Response "Change oil?".
That's a pretty good testament to the quality of Toyota engines. It is amazing that it ran that long.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #139

Ignorance is Scary

Wow. I condider a three year car loan long term and two year or less term a short term loan. I have had four car loans in my lifetime (Im 54) and the longest was based on three years but I paid it off in 2.5. A three year loan term on a depreciating asset just scares the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have a colleague who took her monster luxury SUV to the dealer to get the clock reset when we switched to daylight savings time.
Hopefully her legal skills are better. Just curious, did the dealer charge her 15 minutes for the job?