Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I'll be 61 and 9 months on April 22nd (7/21) birthday... SS!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be 61 and 9 months on April 22nd (7/21) birthday... SS!

I've read I can apply for social security three months before my 62nd birthday. Yeah I know I get more if I wait but, my SS will just cover our health benefits. I can afford to retire anytime I want but I'll feel better if I don't have to write that big check out of earnings ... (I've got a couple of health issues too)

My son is 17 I understand that he will get 1/2 of what I get until he is 18.

My question - file on line or just go to the SS office? I can take the day off I and make it into a celebration- 33 days vacation left for this year.

It gets better a my current project is winding down.. A old colleague asked me to work for him I think it will facilitate working from home.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #2

Either works. I did it online but then went to the office to get my sons' benefits started.

Regarding your son, if he is a dependent he would be entitled to a monthly check also. It's the difference between what your benefit is and the "family maximum benefit" which may or may not result in a check 50% of yours. You can receive his checks until he is 18. At 18, the SS office will only send it to him. He is eligible for benefits past 18 until he graduates HS (but needs school certification), but in no case past 19 years 2 months of age.

Been through all this with my two sons
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
It gets better as my current project is winding down. An old colleague asked me to work for him I think it will facilitate working from home.
Earnings between 62 and FRA will reduce your check amounts if you exceed a certain $ level, although I believe your check amount will increase at FRA to "make up" for the reductions. Just something to consider.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #4

We are going to start the process online this Monday and save time at the office. I believe we then will have to go in with a ss card and birth certificate.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote