Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My first cigarette was in 1959, after college graduation and marriage. Never smoked before, because of swim team training.... then regular two packs a day until cancer in 1989. A four hour operation, and a very difficult three month recovery period was a tough lesson. Had to leave my new, small, emerging business, which in turn caused me to retire at age 53, with less than I had hoped.

The good part was that it caused me/us to appreciate life, and not take anything for granted.

"We grow too soon old, and too late smart."
That's very hard lesson learned.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A megacorp where I formerly worked now bans smoking even in its vast parking lots. This means smokers have to walk all the way to the street curbs. I wonder how many hardy smokers still hang on.

Smoking is still prevalent in Europe. Out in crowded public spaces, we often get secondhand smoke.

Will there be a time when MJ smoking is legal in public spaces?
I still see people smoking in their cars even under extremely cold weather.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cannot fathom why some people still smoke. Especially poorer people, laborers and the like. Why do they still even start, when it's so expensive?

And I bet there are more smokers than we even see, because of vaping. I've read that vaping is cheaper than cigarettes, but I'll bet it's still not cheap.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I cannot fathom why some people still smoke. Especially poorer people, laborers and the like. Why do they still even start, when it's so expensive?
I was in Eastern Europe earlier this year and what amazed us was the number of people who still smoked. While it may be a minority, it is a much larger minority compared to where I live (maybe 30% compared to 5% near my home).

I see groups of young and fit men and women smoking and all I can think about is people I know and have known who suffer from lung and cardiovascular issues in their 50's and on up.

On several occasions we chose to eat inside rather than alfresco because the smokers were limited to outdoor seating and it was impossible to get away from the foul odor of cigarettes. Our favorite restaurant in Budapest not only had good food but also an outdoor non-smoking area. We returned several times.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Smoking on airplanes...blah! My Dad (who used to fly for Eastern back in the mid to late 50's) told me stories of how the tar used to gum up all sorts of things on the airplanes. Here is a picture of a pressurization outflow valve (the exit port for cabin air) with the tar stain. Absolutely nasty!

Both my Mom and Dad smoked like chimneys until 1989 and quit when the price got to be $10 a carton. 30+ years of smoking and they both quit cold turkey. I spent a lot of time in the back seat of the car gagging on cigarette smoke (and then a couple of years stuck in the back of a AF aircraft maintenance truck with no less than 12 smokers) so I have never had the inclination to smoke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outflow-nicotine-e1431785865548.jpg (20.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Smoking on airplanes...blah! My Dad (who used to fly for Eastern back in the mid to late 50's) told me stories of how the tar used to gum up all sorts of things on the airplanes. Here is a picture of a pressurization outflow valve (the exit port for cabin air) with the tar stain. Absolutely nasty!
It's not clear if that a was a bug or a feature.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/05...6624580708800/
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Simply fascinating!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #88
gone traveling

You REALLY have to need that nicotine fix to still be smoking at that price. Several co-workers head out for their hourly smoke breaks every day, so this begs the question...how much are they spending on a habit that will kill them ?

At even only 1 pack a day, at only $10 a pack, that is still a new car payment every month, which blows my mind. Think of that same money in compounding interest, and stock market gains over 40 years...talk about a healthy retirement fund.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The "good stuff" is $300-350/ounce. But it's truly 1 hit sh*t, over 20% THC and not that rag weed we smoked when we were young.
Yeah, the days of the ditch-weed of our youth are gone forever, methinks. Cannabis products are too well understood now in terms of their AIs (both THC & CBDs). No one wants to buy or partake of an unknown quality product - legally or illegally. Home grown stuff is mostly enthusiasts that know where the plants came from, know what they will get and know how to refine it properly into consumable forms.

I asked some younger partakers (regular - heavy use) when the last time they got some dried leaf of questionable quality. It had been many years ago for the oldest and the youngest didn't even really get what I was asking.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #90

All the young "nicotine fiends" I know get their fix almost exclusively via a Juul. I only see olduns still huffin' a dud.....
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Yeah, the days of the ditch-weed of our youth are gone forever, methinks. Cannabis products are too well understood now in terms of their AIs (both THC & CBDs). No one wants to buy or partake of an unknown quality product - legally or illegally. Home grown stuff is mostly enthusiasts that know where the plants came from, know what they will get and know how to refine it properly into consumable forms.

I asked some younger partakers (regular - heavy use) when the last time they got some dried leaf of questionable quality. It had been many years ago for the oldest and the youngest didn't even really get what I was asking.
I get a hit or two from friends occasionally, and really, the stuff today is too strong for my taste. I never cared for edibles much, but they do let you control intake.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I was in the Air Force, we used by a 10 pack carton for $1.10 at the PX (1960's).

Are you sure? I was in the Army at the same time and it was 19 cents a pack. Maybe the Air Force got a better price.[emoji3]
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #93

If more people were smoking tobacco, our obesity rate would plummet. Who wants to eat when everything tastes like ashes? (does not apply to MJ)
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, we used to blow smoke to trace hydraulic passages in control modules. When I first learned to do tuneups on cars, the cigarette pack cellophane was just about right for gapping ignition points and the sandpaper on a matchbook was good for cleaning points and plugs.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Indeed - my Mother said the reason she started smoking in her teens, was that she was afraid of getting fat. As she put it, "When you're not quite 5 feet 2, a couple of pounds either way makes a difference."

Ironically, once she got into her 70's, she could not keep any weight on due to developing emphysema. I think she weighed less than 80 pounds when she died. My poor good Mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
If more people were smoking tobacco, our obesity rate would plummet. Who wants to eat when everything tastes like ashes? (does not apply to MJ)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This reminded me of a story my Dad told about some old, crusty aviation mechanic he knew at Eastern Airlines. Anyway, a flight engineer did his after flight walk around and found some liquid staining of some sort on the exterior of the plane. He brought this to the attention of said mechanic and said he thought it might be a hydraulic leak. The mechanic swiped his finger across the stain, licked it, and said, "Nope, the lavatory needs to be emptied."

OK...back to the regularly scheduled program.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
The mechanic swiped his finger across the stain, licked it, and said, "Nope, the lavatory needs to be emptied."

OK...back to the regularly scheduled program.
You just cross-contaminated this thread with the Ladies hovering, a serious issue thread.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You just cross-contaminated this thread with the Ladies hovering, a serious issue thread.
Yeah, I thought about that but figured the regulars would see it here, too.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Wow, 11.98 for a pack, $120 a carton? I'm very glad to have dumped those 19 years ago. I don't see many smokers anymore. At least cigarettes. Illinois recently became the 11th recreational cannibis state. I guess trying to help tax their way out of financial issues.

Sometime back in the 1970s there was a bumper sticker that said "Gas, grass, or cigarettes, nobody rides for free" or something like that. [emoji13] I guess it's karma.

Somewhere a bunch of old hippies are laughing.
It wasn't cigarettes, but more of a rhyme. ;-)
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
It wasn't cigarettes, but more of a rhyme. ;-)
Well, the last three letters of the second word were correct.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote